I started playing last October and have not been doing much bending at all. Yea, I got some blisters doing scales and chromatics but it wasn't very painful so I just played through it.

This past weekend I guess I had a breakthrough in my ability and something clicked. I started using bends and such with my improv and got really excited because it sounded so good. I enjoyed it so much I played all weekend having fun with my new found "skill".

I woke up this morning with HUGE blisters lol. It's painful as hell! Especially on my ring finger. Just a warning to all the noobs...you don't know what calluses are until you start doing those mean bends.

Painfully,

Chris (ouch)
PICTURES PLEASE!!! hehe.
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Yea....I guess you know you are making progress when this happens .

I did find another use for Ambesol though .

Chris
Ok...I'll take some pics (ouch) and post them here (ouch) in a little bit (ouch).
...That never happened to me.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Naw...just love the guitar! I practice about three hours a day and another hour at night. Gotta love progress!

Chris
God....Mine don't get like that, my skin just gets shredded and stuff....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My fingers get worse than that, sometimes im missing skin lol, slides kill when u got callouses
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
...That never happened to me.

Same. I've never gotten blisters as a result of guitar playing in my life

Hope they get better quick, man.
I've been playing guitar and bass for four years, and I've never gotten blisters from playing in my life. I'm not sure why you are... You may need new strings if they are dirty. That's all I can think of.

I'd actually think blisters from playing guitar would be rare. I've never seen anyone else before who has had them. The skin on your fingers would usually just get rough.
Naw...I keep my guitar and strings *very* clean....its just my 42yo fingers I suppose.

Chris
My skin has torn apart and started bleeding, that's the worst that's happened for me. That was back in the summer where I practiced at least 8 hours a day becasue I had nothing else to do. I only got a blister on my first finger of my right hand when I started playing bass. Almost convinced me to use a pick but I decided to suffer through the pain.
I've only ever gotten blisters on my right hand index and middle. That was from tapping for the first time, and finger picking for the first time.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I get that everytime I play guitar lolll... I once got a blister but it didn't hurt, then it popped and still didn't hurt and I kept playing over it (all on same day)

and everytime I play, I get calluses like on your picture... the thing is they don't hurt me anymore

They used to hurt a bit before but not anymore! You'll get used to it..
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Brutal.

I haven't been doing too much playing lately, but I'll take some pictures of my fingers after I do... They can still get pretty torn up.

Nice to hear you're making progress, too.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by Zar Mulix
My skin has torn apart and started bleeding, that's the worst that's happened for me. That was back in the summer where I practiced at least 8 hours a day becasue I had nothing else to do. I only got a blister on my first finger of my right hand when I started playing bass. Almost convinced me to use a pick but I decided to suffer through the pain.

Aye, I suppose my fingertips have bled once or twice. But usually just really tiny bits, and I just let them heal before playing again.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yea, I wont be playing much over the next day or two (grrrrr). But as soon as the very "ouch" pain goes away, off I go!

It is good to hear that this isn't unique and I am sorry to hear some of you have actually spilled blood. But what a cool thing this guitar playing is. I fly too and it is as addictive as this is. Truely a way to see just what you can do...the challenge, I love it!

Chris
I honestly NEVER got a single blister....odd?
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."
I used to have a blister on my right index and middle finger
due to finger picking on my bass (I used to play bass)
and it did bleed inside and is burning like hell when it happend...
I harden my fingers on purpose, otherwise you get hurt. I tune my brother's normally drop tuned guitar up to standard tuning and do fast runs all over the fretboard to harden them up. His strat runs heavy 0.12-0.56 gauge strings and because the trem is adjusted for drop C, it raises the action when you tune it up, so it feels like playing a bass, and the G string feels like piano wire.

If I've been playing on my nylon string for a while, I tune up this death strat to harden my fingers up again, I hate ever getting those painful looking blisters, so I make sure I maintain my callouses. My old guitar teacher had fingertips that literally felt plastic coated, and the string indentations would take a good couple of minutes to pop out.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I've only gotten those on my ring finger...
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
meh, thats nothing compared to mine.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
no blisters for me, i do get hard skin on the tips of my fingers though, my mrs complians when i stick them in her
lol....you are a nutter...

I was reading over in the custom forum of a guy that had his finger tips mangaled in a router (complete with pics....ewwwww) so I guess a blister isn't that bad after all lol. Poor fella.

Chris
i play all the time and my fingers never get torn up wtf do you do lmao, crazy though i like it
Quote by RCShadow
Here is the pic...

it happened to me,

but 6 months ago, after doing scales for like 3 hours(witout stoping) my pinky finger was so stiff, i wasn't able to move it for 2 or 3 days

ah, those crazy days
both my hands got callouses, damn hybrid picking, and now i can't feel anything on them
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
yeah, whenever i play my fingers get all white or gray at the tips. they've never got blisters though. the only finger i get a blister on is my thumb when i play bass.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I do pull-ups really often, and that's helped my grip/form good calluses for me.

After awhile the calluses stay pretty much the same. At first, they would often to come off, but nowadays that doesn't happen.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
At first my skin got really tough and stiff at the tips of my fingers...but they never blistered. Now, after 8 years of so of playing, the tips of my fingers are back to normal...just the like my right (pick) hand. The only difference is that the fingertips on my fret hand dont have hardly any feeling lol.