I need to play some kinda surfy sounding music like wipeout. What is a good amp setting for this?
Also, what are some other songs like this to learn
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Last edited by i(ncubus)play at Mar 5, 2007,
i dont know. but i'd like to.
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
when i think surf music i think either ska/ skate punk stuff. slightly stoopid, sublime,pennywise, etc. thats just me though and maybe not what u were thinking.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul St.
Peavy Classic VTX 200w
dunlop crybaby wah
boss metal zone distortion
yeah, use a lot of treble and reverb, a whammy bar and real heavy strings helps too. Dick Dale is the best example I can think of to listen to.
Quote by guns4ever
when i think surf music i think either ska/ skate punk stuff. slightly stoopid, sublime,pennywise, etc. thats just me though and maybe not what u were thinking.

no.

use the most lo-fi rig you can think of, and tremolo if you have it.
Quote by mydadisjewish
just listen to dick dale. go heavy on the reverb and treble.

as for the reverb...it takes more than just a lot of it. i think a key to a "wet", surfy sounding guitar is delay. a single delay of at least 150ms, if not more. then add reverb as necessary, not so much that your guitar gets muddy though.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Yes Dick Dale and the Deltones will quench your thirst for surf music. Atleast it does mine.

Miserlou must be the most famous surf song around.. I suggest you give it a listen.

Clean, lots of reverb. Delay isnt necessary, they didnt have delay back in the days when surf music was big.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - "Having an Average Weekend". You may know it as the Kids in the Hall theme song. Great surf-sounding song, and Shadowy Men are a great surf band. That song in particular, though, is a good one to learn.
As for settings, as it's been said, get reverb. And yes, delay helps too. If you've got a tremolo system, that's great, because doing slight whammy on chords is perfect for that surf sound. I read somewhere that Fender amps provide the best surf tone... I'm not sure how true that is, because I've only used Fender amps, but I guess surf originated through bands that consistently used Fender. I don't know, I just read that somewhere, that's all.
Dick Dale
The Ventures
The Duo-Tones
Laika and the Cosmonauts
Los Straitjackets
The Treblemakers
The Surfaris
The Surf Raiders
Quote by guns4ever

Not Surf, no idea what your thinking.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."