I am looking at these Ashdown Electric Blue amps. They are both 180W, and it seems the only difference is one has a 12" speaker and the other a 15" speaker. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys about what you think is the better amp. The price difference doesn't really matter to me. I'll pay a little more if the 15" speaker happens to be better.

12 incher.
15 incher.
Different tones. 15" is favoured for low end and 12" is better for higher end. But the difference won't be that great. You will be very audible in low and high end in either amp. Try and have a go on them both
I can't stand anything less than a 15". 10", 12" just sound too thin the only thing I like (in a single speaker configuration) is a 15". It's the only thing that gives that thick lowend but still handling highs good.
I also vote 15. for a single speaker in an amp, it's great to have something that can handle the low end.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
12" is a ton more versatile to me, 15" is very bass-y, more for reggae-esque songs; but i would go to some local store and try before you buy
If you're going for a single speaker combo, don't settle for less than a 15" speaker. You won't push enough air otherwise. In fact, the ONLY time I ever see 12" speakers used on a level outside of "mom's garage" level bands is in big 4x12 cabs, by guitarists. Never seen one stacked up behind a bassist on stage. That says a lot.

2x10's are good for a tighter sound, but I'd rather have that big bassy 15"er if you're running one combo without an extension cab. Besides, many 1x15 combos these days come with a tweeter to add high end if you want it.

You can always add the 2x10 later if your combo supports it and you want to add more high end definition.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
If you're going for a single speaker combo, don't settle for less than a 15" speaker. You won't push enough air otherwise. In fact, the ONLY time I ever see 12" speakers used on a level outside of "mom's garage" level bands is in big 4x12 cabs, by guitarists. Never seen one stacked up behind a bassist on stage. That says a lot.

2x10's are good for a tighter sound, but I'd rather have that big bassy 15"er if you're running one combo without an extension cab. Besides, many 1x15 combos these days come with a tweeter to add high end if you want it.

You can always add the 2x10 later if your combo supports it and you want to add more high end definition.

ya that first part doesnt make sense, lots of bassists use 4x10 4x12 config

anyways, the 15 will give you a 'better' base response, but unless it has a tweeter anything past the 12th fret wont sound clear, i would recommend the 12 unless you are a first position type of player, or play a 5 string
I like to play things up in the higher ranges, so maybe I'll get the 12". I still think the 15" would have a deeper tone, and I would like that, too. Would the 15" be better for playing with a band?
I don't think it'll be THAT much of a difference. It's not like a 15" will turn all notes into muddy diarrhea - it's just less punchy and more boomy relative to a 10 or 12". The amp settings are there for a reason.

Caustic has a point; you'll probably need the 15" to push more air with a combo. If you're going head + cab route (which I guess you're not), then it would be a diff story.
Quote by jaebee
unless it has a tweeter anything past the 12th fret wont sound clear, i would recommend the 12 unless you are a first position type of player, or play a 5 string

Sorry, that is bull. I do a lot of big slides up the neck, tapping and high melodic lines up on the dusty end of the neck, and it rings clear on a 15" speaker. I used Ashdown 15's for two years and never once had a problem with sounding muddy. The Electric Blues have "bright" switches anyway, right?

Now I have a cab with tweeter, I only ever use the tweeter for slap.

Would the 15" be better for playing with a band?

Think about the role of the bass guitar in a band. Anything that gives you more presence in the bass range than your guitarists will be better.

ya that first part doesnt make sense, lots of bassists use 4x10 4x12 config

I know lots of bassists use 4x10's, 8x10's etc. But we're talking about 12's

xx12's I don't ever see forming the basis of a rig, purely because they don't do punchy as well as 10's, and don't do rumbly as well as 15's. If I see 12's, they tend to be on pro-level bands that can sink the cash into a big rig with cabs full of 10's and/or 15's already. Irrelevant, though, because we're talking about a single speaker rig, in which it seems from the replies here people tend to agree you shouldn't be running smaller than 1x15.

I'm no tech, though. Just speaking from my experience of 12's and 15's.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Mar 6, 2007,
meh, i think it comes down to, how strong are you? a 15" combo will probably way 10-30 pounds more (in speaker, and bigger chassis) if you can handle the 15, then do it, if not, go 12.

i personally have a 4x10 and a 1x18, if the 18 is getting enough power, it does fine. i usually biamp my stack, sounds very nice.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
lol i recently had to make the same decision, i git the 15". it's a pretty nice amp, louder than i'll probably ever need it to be though, i've played it once at a small gig at my school, 300 people and I only had it at the halfway mark.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by tubadude
meh, i think it comes down to, how strong are you? a 15" combo will probably way 10-30 pounds more (in speaker, and bigger chassis) if you can handle the 15, then do it, if not, go 12.

Not that heavy, and most decent amp manufacturers stick two handles on their 15" cabs, so find a friend.
^true, just i know alot of people who complain, and put their amps on skateboards to move them.

i laugh because they cant handle 50 pounds.

my amp is 180 pounds total.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to go with the 15 inch speaker now. Thanks for all the help.

And tubadude, I don't mind the weight. Bass players have to be strong
^alright, just checking. . .

and have fun with your new amp

Quote by steven seagull
Good choice mate. Good luck with your amp!
Quote by FaceTheBass
Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to go with the 15 inch speaker now. Thanks for all the help.

And tubadude, I don't mind the weight. Bass players have to be strong

A 15" and a 12" of the same wattage will have the same magnet and voice coil, only the chassis will be little heavier but being a 15" it will move more air than a 12".
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn