www.myspace.com/tommmomusic

Righto, well there's not that much to say really. This recording took me no time at all, it's just 3 takes... the intro, the solo and the outro, you can hear where the changes are. Each part was done in one take, so there are a couple of tiny mistakes here and there. But overall I'm very pleased with the outcome.
There are some sloppy pedal changes at the end, but the general feel of the part was so good I didn't want to do a new take just because I was a bit late with the clean channel.

The actual recording isn't that great, unlike a lot of my other recordings I've done (there are a few on my mypsack there) I didn't spend a long time fiddling with plugins, EQing etc. It's pretty simple.

My setup is thus:

Tom Anderson Drop Top Classic -> Randall RM100 -> XL412R -> Samson CL8 Condenser Mic -> Edirol UA-25 Interface -> Logic.

From there I added the reverb, little bit of compression and some minor EQ tweaking (little mid boost).

So let me know what you think
Great version of an amazing song. The changes like you said are obvious but it's not a big deal. How long have you been playing and how long did it take you to learn it?

ps your hair rocks! lol
I've been playing for 10 years now, and it's taken me about a week to get it up to that standard...
And thanks about the hair! Sadly my hair isn't red or pink any more I should be re-dying it next week though!
Nice..well keep it up! I'd like to hear your take on some of his other songs too if you ever feel like learning them.
Yea, I can play a couple. Just depends when/if I get round to recording them. I'll see what I can do but no promises for the near future.
I your hair Tom.

I listened to it when you posted it in the chat earlier. I'm actually surprised at your playing and I shall give you a
Sent from my iPad.
awesome,this is prolly one of my favorite vai songs,and you did a great job,like some of the stuff u did...10/10
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
This is the best cover if Tender Surrender I've heard yet. A few minor mistakes but they're barely audible. The outro was a little off though. Anyway, I've got a Tom Anderson Hollow Drop top, kick ass guitars!
Great cover man, really enjoyed it.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by chrisatgrace
this is great. i tried to learn this song, but didn't have the fortitude and will power. really good part with the solo. some of the sweeps seem a tiny bit off, but barely noticable. this version seems faster than the origional?

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529382

The reason the sweeps sound a bit off is because they're not pushed. In the track, Vai pushes them so much they're actually out of time, but seeing as he's just doing chromatically ascending sweeps he gets away with it because it's building the tension. Great stuff.

And as for this track seeming 'faster', it's not. The reason for that is because I'm playing infont of the beat, it makes it seem a bit faster... I can assure you it's exactly the same tempo.
Quote by AMGram
This is the best cover if Tender Surrender I've heard yet. A few minor mistakes but they're barely audible. The outro was a little off though. Anyway, I've got a Tom Anderson Hollow Drop top, kick ass guitars!

What exactly do you mean when you say the outro was off? Anything in particular? And you're a lucky guy to own such a sweet guitar I love my TA and I wouldn't swap it for anything!
Great cover. One of the best ones I've heard. It wasn't note-to-note accurate and there were some flaws, but in overall good playing. Maybe you could work a bit more on the solo. Great tone, I might add. The production is nice as well. Keep it up!

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537256
Excellent cover, nice playing and tone. Simply great, keep the good work!.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I love this! I was listening to the original a while back and got really into it again. This cover is definitely close to the original! I love the tone you have there, smoothe. A couple of off notes, as said before, but this really is great. I love the heavier part, "the solo", it must feel great to play that live. The outro sounds really good, I like it. It works for me

If you wanna crit anything of mine, you can check it out on http://add45.dmusic.com You could just PM me over UG.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Wow man! This is awesome. I am familiar with Vai's style, but have never heard this particular song before, and I know this is clichéd alot, but it truly believe that your cover could pass for the original version (having not heard the original of course)

The feel and character shine through there, and the solo is beautiful

Keep rocking man!

Please would you care to crit my song, link below. cheers

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538872
Thanks for the crit guys I'm currently listening to all your stuff and returning the crit!
Quote by Tom Martin
The reason the sweeps sound a bit off is because they're not pushed. In the track, Vai pushes them so much they're actually out of time, but seeing as he's just doing chromatically ascending sweeps he gets away with it because it's building the tension. Great stuff.

And as for this track seeming 'faster', it's not. The reason for that is because I'm playing infont of the beat, it makes it seem a bit faster... I can assure you it's exactly the same tempo.

What exactly do you mean when you say the outro was off? Anything in particular? And you're a lucky guy to own such a sweet guitar I love my TA and I wouldn't swap it for anything!

I meant parts of the outro are out of time. Even though there's no backing, Vai still plays each part relatively in time to the next. Also I know Anderson whammy bars are not very versatile, at least on Drop Top models. If your tremolo work was limited by the guitar, the inaccuracies don't count. However, these are very MINOR points, you should be proud of what you did.
good job man. you made a few little mistakes here and there, but it doesn't really hurt anything. keep it up. 9/10
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by AMGram
I meant parts of the outro are out of time. Even though there's no backing, Vai still plays each part relatively in time to the next. Also I know Anderson whammy bars are not very versatile, at least on Drop Top models. If your tremolo work was limited by the guitar, the inaccuracies don't count. However, these are very MINOR points, you should be proud of what you did.

Yes, the tremelo work throughout the song was limited by the Anderson Trem. Anderson trems can only be scooped, and not raised... so obviously I'm gonna have problems with a lot of the Floyd Rose abuse that Vai does.
As for the outro, I wasn't trying to stay in time... it's not the best take I could have done, but if it's just timing then thats a fair point.

Thanks for the crit guys
Any critisisms about the actual playing or the tone? If I've missed out a couple of notes then forgive me, I figured it out by ear!