Im painting my first guitar and i want to do a black base coat with neon pink splattered on it. since i know i cant use spray paint to splatter the pink, what kind of paint do i use?
you could just take the paint out of the spray can.....
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Buy some little Dixie cups and spray into those. Then go buy some dollarstore toothbrushes. Dip the tooth brushes into the paint, and flick the paint onto the guitar. It's a hard process to master, and it's also messy, so you might want to set down a bunch of newspaper and practise on cardboard.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
when i splatter the paint is 1 coat ok or do i have to somehow try and do more?
u pretty much get 1 shot at it. but i guess you could carefully touch up some areas. It might not look as "natural" tho.
fill water balloons with paint and chuck them at it
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
Isn't that sorta like Paul Simonon's bass and jacket stuff? I think he did that with the Clash where he splattered neon paints on his guitar and stuff.
Buy some ACRYLIC enamel paint for the splattering.

A) You can water it down so it doesn't leave big lumps of paint and it is easier to flick off a brush.

B) If you don't like how it looks you can wipe it off with a damp cloth and try again.

C) It can be cleaned out of your clothes too if you get any on you whilst painting.

I flicked mine with a paint brush from about a metre away and this is how it turned out. So I suggest having a test play before you go right ahead on your guitar. It is tricky to make it look right.

thanks for all the help

TheDev01dOne, i saw your guitar and that was actually where i got the idea to splatter the paint, so thanks for the help
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Buy some ACRYLIC enamel paint for the splattering.

A) You can water it down so it doesn't leave big lumps of paint and it is easier to flick off a brush.

B) If you don't like how it looks you can wipe it off with a damp cloth and try again.

C) It can be cleaned out of your clothes too if you get any on you whilst painting.

I flicked mine with a paint brush from about a metre away and this is how it turned out. So I suggest having a test play before you go right ahead on your guitar. It is tricky to make it look right.

When you say "flicked" to you mean that you flicked it by snapping your wrist, or by running your finger across the bristles?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Get a popsicle stick and put it right beside the nozzle of the spray can. angle it so that it cuts off the paint in mid spray. Thatll give it the effect u want. my friend did that to his 72 Vette. done by a pro tho, of course
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Last edited by christianbassis at Mar 12, 2007,
^ I'm pretty sure the guy who did a splatter paint job on his own guitar isn't all wrong.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

should i paint the pickguard also? because i think a white pickguard would look pretty stupid on a black and pink guitar

if i paint the pickguard, do i have to use special paint?