I have an assignment due tomorrow, and I was wondering how do matches work? Like what's the chemical and physical reaction that creates a flame? Thanks.
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Quote by Metal claw

Go to google and type "How matches work"

Did that, didn't come up with the answer I needed.
Quote by Ross724

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Man, that ain't fair. My chemistry homework was always balancing out chemical equations and crap like that.
Dude. Go to Wikipedia and search Matches. There's a bunch of stuff on that good ole website
I'm so damn jealous of myself.
Physical- Match is dragged along surface where friction causes heat.

Chemical- Heat produced causes powder on match to reach its flash point, therefore igniting the powder and causing your flame which will burn until the stick fails to provide fuel or it burns your hand and you put it out
My stuff

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Squier Affinity Strat

Digitech RP 80

Fender Frontman 15w
Okay, if I had to post a thread about this in UG, then don't you think I tried all those other places? Can't someone just explain it really quick? *cough*metalhawk*cough*
Quote by Ross724

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by rockthellamax
Dude. Go to Wikipedia and search Matches. There's a bunch of stuff on that good ole website

Yeah. Its on the internet its gotta be true.
Quote by Masterpiece2
Yeah. Its on the internet its gotta be true.
Wikipedia's a hell of a lot more reliable than the Pit...
I'm pretty sure I answered it but if its not good enough for what you are doing i really couldn't care less.
My stuff

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Squier Affinity Strat

Digitech RP 80

Fender Frontman 15w
safety matches (the kind that only light if you strike them on the box) have one chemical on the tip of the match and another on the strinking surface. These two combust if heated together. So the friction agnites the two when they touch each other combined with the heat. any help?
^_^
In a safety match, red phosphorus and powdered glass are used as the striking head, when it's struck, the friction causes the red phosphorus to convert to white phosphorus. The white phosphorus is ignited by the heat caused by the friction, and it then ignites the rest of the match head, made of antimony (iii) sulphide and potassium chlorate.

In a strike anywhere match, the head is made of phosphorus sequisulfide (P4S3), which ignites on whatever it's struck against