i was looking at the epiphone les paul std (plus top) and im wondering if it is any good? could i get a gibson les paul std tone if i changes the pickups? i dont think im ready to spend $2500.00 on the gibson standard. i play rock, classic rock, hard rock, and need some cleans to
If you want to get closer to the tone of a Gibson LP, then you should get the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top. It's made of solid mahogany (like the Gibson) while most of the other Epis are a mix of mahogany and alder.

I would probably get an Agile instead, but whatever floats your boat .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
what about gibson les paul studio or the epiphone les paul elitist standard plus
Quote by garrett7
what about gibson les paul studio or the epiphone les paul elitist standard plus

Both solid guitars, but the quality control on the Gibson studios is a little dodgy. Either play a lot of them and pick the one you want, or try to pick up an older one (my buddy has a 90s Wine Red Studio that plays great).

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by garrett7

The studio ain't worth your time. The Elitist is decent, but I just don't see the point of an expensive Epiphone. Just stick with the Epi LP Std Plain Top.
you think the epi standard is better than the elitist? also would the epi standard get good gibson tone with the same pickups as the gibson? (or any ideas for pickups)
Quote by garrett7
you think the epi standard is better than the elitist? also would the epi standard get good gibson tone with the same pickups as the gibson? (or any ideas for pickups)

I think the Elitist is more on par with the Gibson Studio and other Lower-end Gibsons.

I would almost say that the QC is better on the Epi Elitists...

Gibson pickups are overpriced; you can buy PAF style Alnico humbuckers from just about anybody.

Quote by garrett7
or the Ace Frehley epiphone?

I've never been a big fan of middle position humbuckers, and signature guitars are usually overpriced, but I've never played that guitar.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by garrett7

No, the Standard ain't better than the Elitist. Gibson tone with new pickups? No. Similar? Maybe.
so elitist studio or epi std? (i can change the pickups would have enough money for that just dont wanna pt out $2500 on one guitar)
ec-500 ftw!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by garrett7
so elitist studio or epi std? (i can change the pickups would have enough money for that just dont wanna pt out $2500 on one guitar)

Out of a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epiphone Elitists, or Epiphone Standard Plain Top, I'd get the Elitist.

Quote by utsapp89
Epi's are better than most say as long as you don't have a Special.

But as far as Gibson's go, well lets just say their quality control has gone out the window. My local shop owner ordered an SG Custom from Gibson. It was so bad he had to send it back to get it repaired. And once he got it back, it was still in terrible shape, so he sent it back for a refund along with a letter of how Gibson had lost another customer and possibly more.

I own an Epi Limited Edition Les Paul Studio, that came from the factory with Gibson Pickups and grover tuners. After replacing the nut, pots, and switches I'd say my LP is as good or better than Gibson's version of my Studio.

BTW; those Epi hardshell cases are really nice. I have a regular epi case and I think it's very well built. One note, depending on weather or not your epi is the full thickness of a normal LP you might have to fold a towel in the bottom or something my studio was a little to skinny. But a small towel fixed that.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.