Sorry, this may sound dumb to some of you guys, but what is the purpose of having multiple stacks of cabinets on stage, when theyre just miced and run through a PA, they dont need to be that loud through the PA do they...?
For looks. They only use one or two of the cabs and mic them. The others are for the "aw" factor, and to make the setting look better.

Search button, btw.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
More "oomph" (air pushed).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by mclose85
Sorry, this may sound dumb to some of you guys, but what is the purpose of having multiple stacks of cabinets on stage, when theyre just miced and run through a PA, they dont need to be that loud through the PA do they...?

Several reasons

1) Monitor/Volume. Some people like to hear themselves.

2) Tone. Some people like to use more than one cabinet or even amps (hence two stacks) to layer their tone. I personally have two half stacks which I use and layer on occasion. Some people use different amps for clean and distortion and they don't split their cabs so they use them for their different heads.

3) Looks. In the case of bands who have like 5000 stacks on stage- its just for appearances. Why have a big empty stage when you can have a wall of heads and cabs behind you? Also, a full stack looks very professional in comparison to a half, quarter (2x12) or combo. I mean, its pretty 'rock' or 'metal' to have a full stack towering over you while you play. It looks cool and they still sound just as good, if not better than a combo or half stack. You also get more ambient sound coming into the mic and slightly different bass response ETC.
Back in the old days before PAs were where they are now, bands would have to get a crapload of stacks and such to be heard in large venues. These days they're just done for looks. There is no practical reason of having more than one stack per guitar.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure