Why and how does the 5150s cleans suck. Also is it really bad for other forms of music with light gain like blues?.
personally I like the clean on the 6505 (which ive heard is the same as the 5150) I tried the 6505+ and I thought it could get a nice clean kinda bluesy you just have to set the gain on the amp down and the vloume knob on your guitar
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Well, the amp was developed with EVH for his brown sound, so I would say most of the work went into the high gain channel. EVH doesn't use a clean channel, he backs off the volume on his guitar for different sounds, so most of the amp is about the overdrive, not the clean. Needless to say, what people say about the cleans are based on their opinion of what a good clean is. I haven't tried one so I can't really say much about them, only that I prefer his sound when he used a marshall more.

As for blues, well I don't think most people would buy one specifically for blues as they are a high gain amp. By turning the gain down, maybe a bit of EQing I'm sure a reasonable blues sound can be achieved. Best to try one probably and see what it's capable of.
It's a total lie that you can't get good cleans on a 5150. Just fiddle around with the knobs.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
It's a total lie that you can't get good cleans on a 5150. Just fiddle around with the knobs.

no offense dude but how come you have a great amp and you use poor guitars?. one word..mahogany!
...RG2EX = poor guitar? I don't think so.

I'm thinking about saving for a Showmaster or a RGT320Q or a RGT220A. But all so damned expensive.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by Cabron1
no offense dude but how come you have a great amp and you use poor guitars?. one word..mahogany!

Yeah, cause using mahogny automatically makes a guitar great, and not using mahogny makes it suck. Great conclusion.

Based on jonny's videos, I can't say I really dislike the 5150 clean. Not at all as bad as I'd thought only after hearing other people's opinions atleast.
Remember that Im using a les paul with EMG'S, with a strat or some passive humbuckers, it sounds loads better