As I wait for the weather to get more favorable so I can continue working on my guitar, I decided that I would like to build a pedal or two. Only problem is that this would be my first time ever building a pedal, and I need a little help before I can get this off the ground.

I got my Schematics here Free Information Society. Its a great site for those who haven't already seen it. It has hundreds of pedal and amp circuits up there.

But I have a few questions about it before I can get started.

• There seems to be a whole lot of grounds in this schematic. Are these right or am I reading it wrong?
  • Where is the 9V battery input? I think I know where it is, but I just want to be certain.
  • Did I miss anything? Anyone have any advice before I begin?

I will post pictures once I get started. I just need the answers to those questions in order to do that.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
I think you shouild be building a RAT instead, but that's me.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
I think you shouild be building a RAT instead, but that's me.

I don't know what that is. I'm new to the whole pedal deal.

Custom Build
DS-1?
Why? Horrible pedal, IMO. Buzzsaw.

Those schems on there are wrong.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
That's a *relatively* difficult pedal for your first build, start with a LPB or something easier?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
why a DS-1 possibly one of the least impressive distortion pedals out there. Andboss over complicate things way too much. Maybe look at building a Muff or Fuzz face, their easy and good sounding circuits.
hmm that schematic is wrong.
go here http://www.montagar.com/~patj/gindex.htm
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Jesus, stop telling him which pedal to build! He can build what he wants! What's wrong with a DS-1 anyway? And to the guy who said only only build if it's expensive, some people enjoy just doing this stuff, so that's really stupid advice

Anyway, since people are saying the schematic is wrong, I would recommend here: http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=37

Yeah, there are a lot of grounds, this is normal. In the link I put above, it also shows where to put the battery. It has a ready to transfer PCB diagram (or you can buy one ready made), and a clear diagram of where things should go on the PCB too. Very useful.

Good luck
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Jesus, stop telling him which pedal to build! He can build what he wants! What's wrong with a DS-1 anyway? And to the guy who said only only build if it's expensive, some people enjoy just doing this stuff, so that's really stupid advice

Stupid advice? It's just not really cost efficient.
If a DS-1 costs 30-40 bucks on eBay, and it costs about the same to build it....Why build it? It just doesn't make sense. I don't see a lot of sense in building boss pedals, anyway, they're fairly challenging builds, and they're readily available.
Well, what I'm trying to say is, sure you could build it, but where's the fun in that? And if it's a fairly challenging build, even better. So what if you have to pay a bit more? I've spent over £100 ($200 I think) on my pedal so far, including all the tools I need and everything. I could have bought something similar for much less, but that's just completely besides the point. I wanted to build my own pedal, it's much more personal and rewarding, and good experience seeing as I intend on doing an electronics degree.

Sorry if I came across a bit rude, at first, but I just think that for most people, building their own pedal is going to be worth it, irrespective of the cost. Although, admittedly, it is rather a large bonus if it's cheaper
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Well, what I'm trying to say is, sure you could build it, but where's the fun in that? And if it's a fairly challenging build, even better. So what if you have to pay a bit more? I've spent over £100 ($200 I think) on my pedal so far, including all the tools I need and everything. I could have bought something similar for much less, but that's just completely besides the point. I wanted to build my own pedal, it's much more personal and rewarding, and good experience seeing as I intend on doing an electronics degree.

Sorry if I came across a bit rude, at first, but I just think that for most people, building their own pedal is going to be worth it, irrespective of the cost. Although, admittedly, it is rather a large bonus if it's cheaper

I get what you're saying, but in this case there's simply too many reasons not to build it:
- The Boss pedal itself is cheap(er)
- IMO, it doesn't sound very good
- It's quite complicated for a first build

Threadstarter; my advice would be to find a simpler effect to make first.
Well, I think that the third point is really the only valid one (relating to the threadstarter, they may be perfectly valid reasons in your case), because your second one is only an opinion, the threadstarter may like it's tone, and I shared my opinion on your first point in my last post.

However, my advice would be the same as yours, it may be better to find a less compicated pedal.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by loonyguitarist
I've spent over £100 ($200 I think) on my pedal so far

Phew ouch! that must be quite a pedal to cost that much in parts alone! Wtf are you putting into it???

EDIT=========

Quote by loonyguitarist
I've spent over £100 ($200 I think) on my pedal so far, including all the tools I need and everything.

sorry ill read next time b4 opening my gob :p
============
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

Selling: Vox AD50VT

GAS: Volume, delay, Digitech Whammy,

http://www.ampworks.co.uk
Heh heh, yeah that would be expensive just on parts
Quote by Liberation
Haha, I didn't think anyone was going to respond to this thread.

How about I just clear up anything so I can end this flame fest (you can still keep at it thought, only if you want too).

I don't know very much about pedals, mostly because I haven't really gotten good enough or been looking for a certain tone in my playing. I just choose the DS-1 because it seemed like a good generic pedal to start with.

I just want to build it because I enjoy building things. I'm not really going for the cost efficience point of view. I'd much rather just buy the parts piece by piece over a long series of time, than go out and buy the whole unit (usually for a much greater cost).

End of the story is, I have to agree with you all. I think I was aiming a little high when I thought of doing this pedal. I'll mess around making a few simpler ones before I go and try to make anything that looks this complex.

Thanks for your help.

Custom Build
Geeze... talk about a pointless argument.

^ Don't give up so quickly my good man.

I know you don't want to buy a "whole unit" so to speak... but the BYOC kits would be great for someone like you. The have great tutorials, and step by step instructions on how to put the stuff together... their prices are also pretty good.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/
Hai UG!
Guys, I think that advice should be welcomed in a thread. Like, If the guy didn't want opinions, he'd post "don't tell me what else to build." I was just trying to get the guy out of a sh!itty pedal, to build something that sounds genuinely good, and save some money in the process.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I didn't think it was a flame fest

By the way, if you're looking for an easy distortion to do, then this is what I'm doing for my first build: http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=2

I dunno what it's gonna sound like, but it's nice and simple. You can look at the list on tonepad, they label each pedal as beginner, intermediate or advanced.
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Mar 8, 2007,
i can make a pedal for about £10 cos resistors and capacitor only cost 17p and IC only cost £1.50 for 3.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Pyro, I am also working on a Boss DS-1, in fact started today. I agree with Loonyguitarist that the challenge is what matters the most. You'll be extremely satisfied when you've finally made this pedal(because it is difficult to make).

Making this is not at all proving to be as costly as mentioned. In fact, I'm getting all the parts for a maximum of Rs.350, which would be less than US$8 .

Pyro, I hope we will exchange notes on this build. The circuit diagram you're working on is wrong. I have the proper circuit. I'll mail it to you if you want. Stay in touch.
Sounds good. I might try a simpler one (I need to work on my soldering) first, but then I will attempt this one.

Let me know how yours turns out.

And I would love the proper diagram, I'll ask you as soon as I start the project.

Custom Build
I think its funny how fuzz faces are such a damn expensive pedal when they are one of the most simplest.
Quote by pyromaniac7234

Let me know how yours turns out.

And I would love the proper diagram, I'll ask you as soon as I start the project.

Certainly. Will be glad to share.
For those that are interested, this is a scan of an original DS-1 schematic. I used it when I was modding my one to Keeley specs.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Personally I don't get why people cal lthis so hard to build. The first electronics project I ever did was a tube amp, and aside from one minor parts related setback it went perfectly
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Insolent
Why not build the one at tonepad? http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=37

Hell, you can even order a ready-made PCB for a couple of dollars so all you have to do is plug in the components and go.

That's already been mentioned right near the start of the thread. I have a feeling it's not totally a DS-1 though.
Quote by zekk
Personally I don't get why people cal lthis so hard to build. The first electronics project I ever did was a tube amp, and aside from one minor parts related setback it went perfectly

It's not that it's hard to build, it's that it's relatively difficult as compared to other FX pedals, and it's not exactly cost effective, as these pedals are available at an affordable price.