what are they? i know theres this form

ex
bx
gx
d4
a4
e2

what else?
"You know honestly, i don't see myself getting any faster. I mean, you can only hear so much."
-Eddie Van Halen
In general there are three shapes for power chords, depending on what string your
root is on. that shape works if the root is on the E or A string. but if you wanted an E
power chord starting on the 2nd fret of the D string (which is also E), you would have to
use a different shape:

ex
b5
g4
d2
ax
ex

which is obvious because the 5th fret of the B string is an E...if you used the 4th fret
it would sound wrong. if you wanted to make a power chord even higher than that,
there is another shape for starting on the g string, which is pretty easy to figure out.
And also you don't always have to include the octave, just the tonic and fifth works.
A power chord is just a root and a fifth. Play a root and a fifth anywhere and you have a power chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
there's

e 5
b 5
g 2
d
a
e
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
would the opening smoke on the water riff be inverted powerchords, bacause the bass note is the 5th?
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Basically:

E|------------------4---
B|-------------4---4---
G|--------3---3---1----
D|---3---3---1--------
A|---3---1-------------
E|---1-----------------

Move them up the neck as you please.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
you can also use 4ths if the bassline is playing the root, for example

guitar
D-2---
A-2---
E----

bass
D---
A---
E--0

Okay...all different shapes that can be classified as powerchords: (for an...say G-powerchord)
(oh, i'm writing from left to right for the sake of not making the post too long, low E-string = left, high E = right)

"standard shape #1" (3 5 x x x x)
"standard shape #2 (added octave)": (3 5 5 x x x)
"inverted shape (5th in bass)": (x 5 5 x x x)
"inverted with doubled 5th": (x 5 5 7 x x x)
"double octave shape": (x 5 5 7 8 x)

Of course, you can play all these chords in different octaves. (in case you can't figure the positions out, learn some basic music theory like where are the notes on the fretboard)

And yes to the guy before, in the original, SoTW is being played with the inverted shape...
E|---3--------
B|---3--------
G|------------
D|------------
A|------------
E|---3-------

You would never use it but thats just an oddball form for you. Theres all sorts of ways especially when you start doing inversions as LiquidSkies pointed out.
Quote by permanentmarker
would the opening smoke on the water riff be inverted powerchords, bacause the bass note is the 5th?

You could call it that. I personally like to call them 4ths though instead.

This is just me, but if you add the octave above it, to me it always feels like an inverted power chord, the way it resolves...
^actually they would technically be fourths but i would look at them as fifths since the root is played on the bass.
The Angus Young G powerchord.

E|---3--------
B|---3--------
G|---0--------
D|---0--------
A|---x--------
E|---3--------

take_it_t wasn't so far away from something commonly used.