I want to learn to play and was thinking of this as my first guitar. Anyone have any opinions on this as a starter guitar? Now you'll prob ask what I want to play. I want to play hard rock and metal, mostly older stuff (i.e. AC/DC, GnR, DefLeppard up to Metallica)(this should give you an idea of my age . I want to start on an electric, because that is the music i'm most interested and don't have much of an interest in acoustic.

Would this be a good option for me? Or would I be better off putting together a 'package' of my own that would come in around the same price range ($200-$300). Thanks.
Ibanez are generally good guitars =]
I dunno about playing 80s rock on them but they should hold up better than most of the competition.
Quote by Conica
Ibanez are generally good guitars =]
I dunno about playing 80s rock on them but they should hold up better than most of the competition.

for gods sake, you can play ANY type of music on ANY guitar.
Quote by buzzcut
for gods sake, you can play ANY type of music on ANY guitar.

Yeah, but would a metal band sound better on Telecasters or ESPs? Would bluesy stuff sound better on a Strat or an Ibanez?

You CAN play ANY music on ANY kind of guitar, but it won't sound as good if you don't have a guitar that's built for that genre.
That package is pretty good.

It was the second guitar I got, basically cause I wanted a cheap Ibanez and cheap amp.

I suggest, if you get it, right away, get a completely new cable and strings. The stock strings are okay, but meh, I didn't like them. The cable that came with it, it ****ed up about a few days later. Everything else is fine.
I started out with that exact same package, and I'm still lovin' it. Only, get a Vox AD15VT or 30VT, because the Ibanez amp sucks. But you won't regret getting that guitar!
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80