right which should i get?

i wanna go from clean to just gritty clean on my tube amp. i know the micro amp can do this but what about the MC401?

i can get both for the same price but i think (from what iv read) that the MC401 cannot do the clean to gritty clean thing like the micro amp does.

anyone have the MC401?? thoughts??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

well the mc401 has 20db of boost. i dont know abut the micro amp, but the mc401 would deffenitaly be enough for you, especialy if you make use of your volume knob as well, and sounds like it would probably be built a little better and sound a little better.
i got the impression from the description on the MXR site though that it is really really clean and doesnt really add gain.

?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

ya, but its still going to push the amp more isnt it? 20db is a lot of push. what kinda of amp do you intend t use it through, and how loud d you intend to have the volum up. (example 5 o clock)
its a 1969 Teisco Checkmate 15. i wouldnt really need AN AWFUL amount of push.its single channel btw.

think White Stripes grit (not Big Muffed obviously!!) and even closer:Babyshambles if you know them.if you get what sound im after now youll see i dont need huge boost,just some to make the amp grit a bit more.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

BBE Boosta Grande?
thats a good one too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
id say for cheaper you could do it with a dod 250 preamp/overdrive. its a gret pedal. colors the sound a lot less than any other overdrive ive ever used. gives a good range of push.
Quote by buzz
its a 1969 Teisco Checkmate 15. i wouldnt really need AN AWFUL amount of push.its single channel btw.

think White Stripes grit (not Big Muffed obviously!!) and even closer:Babyshambles if you know them.if you get what sound im after now youll see i dont need huge boost,just some to make the amp grit a bit more.

The MXR should should be fine for that. At an extremely low boost setting, it will thicken everything up and give a little more attack. At a higher setting, it will start to kick your preamp and give it dirt.
^Overdrives on a whole are generally invasive. No matter how "transparent" they may claim to be, they still add their own frequencies. The MXR just takes what you already have, and gives you more of it.
just sounds a lot like what hes looking for.
Last edited by avalanche930 at Mar 6, 2007,