Hey, I just started playing guitar recently (less than 1 month), and I was looking up techniques and stuff for beginners.

I'm really intimidated by all the problems that can occur with improper practice. I was reading guitarprinciples.com and they talk about muscle tension and it seems like everything you do causes muscle tension.

It talks about "Light fingers" also and one of the excercises I can't physcially do, which makes me think that I'll never be able to utilize that finger to it's full potential. It involves lifting only your fingers above the keys 1 inch and setting them back down so that you dont push the string, while keeping your other fingers imobile and relaxed. My ring finger wont phyically lift over 1/4 of an inch off the string and if it does my pinky and or middle finger go with it.

I don't want to start out teaching myself the wrong things, but it seems more like work than enjoyment to learn to play this instrument properly. Worrying about muslce tension, soft fingers, curling them properly, and tons of other things really intimidtates me. I've been practicing at least 2 hours a day and I'm pretty driven, but everything that can go wrong with improper technique is bringing me down.

Any suggestions/comment/concerns feel free to share!
dont worry bout muscel tension,just warm up doing scales n certain excercises,then jam,if it hurts take a break,dont feel intimidated,need more help just write me on here
don't worry too much about technique. Just have fun and it'll mostly just fall into place.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i'd recommend getting lessons, or at least playing with someone who knows how so they can make sure your not making major mistakes,
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
I'm taking lessons atm, but I've only had one so far. Do you guys know of any scale sites to go to? I don't want to just learn songs, I'd like to learn some speed/technique/accuracy building scales.
What site have you just posted this thred in? haha! Here is where I got my scale stuff. There's one good lesson that puts them out well. And dont worry about all that! You should be worrying on things other than problems from improper practice! IMO, the only improper practice... is no practice.
I'm gonna save everyone alot of typing here by putting it simply:
SLOW DOWN!!
You just started playing a month ago, and you're wanting to take on scales and speed/accuracy stuff?? I'm sure you want to be blazing up and down the fretboard, ripping out stuff your favorite players do or whatever. But this stuff falls into the intermediate/advanced levels of playing. If you're taking lessons, your teacher should know how to guide you. You have to learn to walk before you run and while learning these songs may seem boring, they're teaching you things you'll need to know when the time comes in your playing career to start doing the harder stuff.

I look at playing guitar like a journey...you can follow the path and see alot of things along the way, or you can take the shortcuts and miss out on alot and wonder what everyone else is talking about when they catch up to you later. You can get the chops, but if you don't know how to apply them it's really all for nothing.

So you can play scales at 140 beats per minute...so what? There's a whole world full of people who can do that, too. Nothing new here.....

But if you're properly educated and you've taken the time to learn the basics when you get together to jam with people and they say "let's do a jam in A" and they point to you for a solo, you should know what you're doing. What scale would work here?? Minor Pentatonic? Mixolydian? Aeolian? If you've learned the simple stuff first, it won't even take a second thought. Then you'll be able to amaze them by doing stuff when they might be scratching their heads wondering how you knew what to do.

Take it easy, man...just relax, slow down, and take it all in stride. It'll come, and when it does it's far more rewarding by doing it right than by taking shortcuts and looking like a doofus. Playing guitar can be a lifetime experience if you take it right. Think about it...jump ahead if you want, but when you've reached the farthest point there is to go, what's next? Go back and try to learn the stuff you should have learned before?? Stuff that will seem as boring to you now as it was then??? Ain't gonna happen. I'm not saying don't shred...it's really cool. I'm just starting to do it myself. But I waited 16 years to try. I've been in several bands and served as lead guitarist without tapping, arpeggios, or blazing scales at a million miles an hour. There's more to guitar than that...take some time to find that out.
Quote by fretboarddragon
I'm gonna save everyone alot of typing here by putting it simply:
SLOW DOWN!!
You just started playing a month ago, and you're wanting to take on scales and speed/accuracy stuff?? I'm sure you want to be blazing up and down the fretboard, ripping out stuff your favorite players do or whatever. But this stuff falls into the intermediate/advanced levels of playing. If you're taking lessons, your teacher should know how to guide you. You have to learn to walk before you run and while learning these songs may seem boring, they're teaching you things you'll need to know when the time comes in your playing career to start doing the harder stuff.

I look at playing guitar like a journey...you can follow the path and see alot of things along the way, or you can take the shortcuts and miss out on alot and wonder what everyone else is talking about when they catch up to you later. You can get the chops, but if you don't know how to apply them it's really all for nothing.

So you can play scales at 140 beats per minute...so what? There's a whole world full of people who can do that, too. Nothing new here.....

But if you're properly educated and you've taken the time to learn the basics when you get together to jam with people and they say "let's do a jam in A" and they point to you for a solo, you should know what you're doing. What scale would work here?? Minor Pentatonic? Mixolydian? Aeolian? If you've learned the simple stuff first, it won't even take a second thought. Then you'll be able to amaze them by doing stuff when they might be scratching their heads wondering how you knew what to do.

Take it easy, man...just relax, slow down, and take it all in stride. It'll come, and when it does it's far more rewarding by doing it right than by taking shortcuts and looking like a doofus. Playing guitar can be a lifetime experience if you take it right. Think about it...jump ahead if you want, but when you've reached the farthest point there is to go, what's next? Go back and try to learn the stuff you should have learned before?? Stuff that will seem as boring to you now as it was then??? Ain't gonna happen. I'm not saying don't shred...it's really cool. I'm just starting to do it myself. But I waited 16 years to try. I've been in several bands and served as lead guitarist without tapping, arpeggios, or blazing scales at a million miles an hour. There's more to guitar than that...take some time to find that out.

amen to that, I started learning all techniques and stuff and now im realising how music theory and beginners things couldve really taught me well, so im going back to basics and learning theory.

Learn it now and dont make the same mistake i did :P
My gear:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E
Schecter Damien 6
BOSS GT-8 Multi FX
BOSS MT-2