ive been looking at some amps to replace my spider I (yeah, thats right I. not II or III. I.) 100 watt SS. and i tried out this nifty little amp at guitar center and i did some research on it and i was wondering what your guyss's opinion on the Crate Palomino amps were.

and.... GO!
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
Price range?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
well im moving up from bedroom practice to maybe some garage band gigging or just kinda messin around with friends. its around 600 USD. if not couild you recomend a good amp around that price range im willing to go up to 700 at the MOST. i play rock and metal. i need powerful distortion but some nice cleans

A used Dual Jcm 900?

Seems like a good deal. Haven't tried it out myself, but I hear it has decent cleans and great distortion.

edit: check out dsl 401's also.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Mar 6, 2007,
id go with the crate and a nice overdrive peadl for giging. but if your just fooling around without a drummer i have to say a valve junior would be your best bet. a lot of people say you cant use it with a drummer, but with a cab, you should be able to hear it over any real drummer. the vj gives you a lot of options to come up with your own sound. there are so many things you can do with it. it does amazing with pedals, and a an efficient speaker cabinet makes its gigable. as long as your not trying to sound like a dual rectifier, you should be able to get a good metal tone. i can put aangus young to shame without any pedals, just a high output bridge humbucker.
but why is the VJ so cheap???

EDIT: it only has a volume knob?!?! do they EXPECT you to use pedals with that thing?

i dont htink they do. but if you want to play something other than blues or ac dc style rock you will need pedals.
what about that used Jcm 900 you were talking about. do they have those at GC so i can try one out?? any info would be appreciated

ahhh. a jcm 900 is quite the step up. that would be way too loud and way to costly for just playing around with friends.
depends on what cab. if your getting a good cab with it then i say go for the head and cab. im pretty big on saving up and buying stuff that i can use later on in life. you can always use a good cab with the polomio and later on with a better head. but if your going to buy a cheap cab then deffenitely go with a combo.
mmmm ok...

thanks for everything. i think im jsut gonna buy the 30W for 600 then

good choice. im also going to recomend a power attenutaor from ted weber so you can get that nice power tube satursation at lower volumes. its deffenitely worth it. rule f thumb is to go 1.5x's the power rating when buying a power attenuator, so get a 50 watt capable attenuator with your 30 watt rms amp
umm i might sound stupid but i have no clue what a power attenutaor is...

its a craft little device you stick imbetween your amp and speaker(which could require a wee bit of simple work with a combo, but not my VJ). all it does is let you crank the volume on your amp to get power tube saturation, which is one of the main reasons for buying a tube amp, but not have all that signal going to the speaker reulting in LOUDNESS. it gives you good tube tone at lower volumes. youl deffenitely want it if you want tube crunch at volumes that wont piss off everyone around you. 30 watts tube is reall really loud.
ahh makes sense... so is there like sodering involved or how does it work on a combo?

shouldnt be. its just a matter of findig the righ wire adapers. youll need one that goes from the 2 prong speaker cable (comes from the amplifier and connects to the speaker) to a quarter inch inpute. and one that goes form a quarter inch input that connects to the speaker. im looking up what you would need foe the polomino. give me a couple minutes
http://www.tedweber.com/combo.htm

i cant find of the palomino has a speaker out. in that case id say you can build one which shouldnt be too much trouble, or your just out of luck. id be happy to give you advice on how to build a speaker out if your interested, but just in warning, it would void your waranty as does any modding.