I happened to acquire a Samick Malibu and before I managed to have it for even 1 hour, I managed to drop the guitar.

Luckily, one hand grabbed a hold of the neck before the guitar hit the ground.

Unluckily, the other hand grabbed a hold of the tremolo instead of the body of the guitar.

Needless to say, the tremolo arm broke off. I can't remove the remaining piece of the tremolo because it snapped off in a way that I'm not able to extrude the piece, pretty much rendering the tremolo useless now.

I checked around and from the sounds of it, the only thing I can safely do, with the least amount of headache, is to have the bridge replaced (vintage tremelo). Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to do it for at least another week or two. It still seems playable, but is there anything I have to do to it to prevent any future damage until I can get the bridge replaced? Or is it going to be fine until that time and I can just continue to play it normally (only obviously without the tremelo)?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
If everything else is ok with the guitar it will play just fine.
Turn Off Your Mind, Relax And Float Downstream

...and if you don't know where your going, any road will take you there
So it sounds like essentially, I've just basically turned a guitar with a vintage tremolo, into a guitar without a tremolo?

Out of curiosity (I'm just starting to learn about setting up my guitar, but know nothing about major repair), how hard exactly is it to fix it? It's not something I'd do myself (not without much practice on a junker), but is it mainly just removing the old bridge/tremolo and installing a new one?

edit: correct spelling is fun!
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
so did u break the whole tremolo?
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
If you only broke the arm the only real problem is getting the broken piece out of the unit, one you've done that (and i don't know how so don't ask) you can replace the arm itself easily enough.
Quote by xblack_sabbathx
so did u break the whole tremolo?

...the tremolo arm broke off. I can't remove the remaining piece of the tremolo because it snapped off in a way that I'm not able to extrude the piece, pretty much rendering the tremolo useless now.
Take it to your local guitar shop, they should be able to remove the broken piece, leaving you to buy a new tremolo arm and be careful in future, that'll be much cheaper than getting them to put in a whole new trem block.
Quote by Hakael
So it sounds like essentially, I've just basically turned a guitar with a vintage tremolo, into a guitar without a tremolo?

Out of curiosity (I'm just starting to learn about setting up my guitar, but know nothing about major repair), how hard exactly is it to fix it? It's not something I'd do myself (not without much practice on a junker), but is it mainly just removing the old bridge/tremolo and installing a new one?

edit: correct spelling is fun!

Basically you have yes. But, if the tremolo is set to float, you still can use it a bit. I use mine sometimes without the arm for subtle movements because you can push it down with the palm of your hand and vibrato it like that and even pull the trem like you would with the bar. It's sometimes more convenient that way.

To be honest, it's not hard to fit a bridge like that when it's already routed, it's just going to take a bit of time to set it up. You'd have to set aside a few hours for your first time to set the claw, set the trem to float and then doing the intonation. It would be a lot easier to pay someone haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Set to float? I'm assuming then that it means it can be locked?
Quote by Hakael
Set to float? I'm assuming then that it means it can be locked?

Kinda. With vintage trems you can either set it to a zero point, so that there is a gap under the tremolo. I think I remember the proper height being like 3/8's of an inch or something, either way, just till it floats.

To lock it, you just tighten the claw in the back, maybe add an extra spring and the tremolo will rest against the body of the guitar. This means that if a string breaks your guitar won't go out of tune, but it also means you can't tighten the strings with the trem. It's your call. I've set mine to float.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Why not drill it out? just be very careful not to scratch the finish, take the old trem to a shop and see if they have a replacement.
ah, im experienced in this stuff. basically, get a screwdriver, screw into the middle of the bit stuck in the bridge. once the hole is big enough, screw out, and it should come out.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Dude...I snapped off my trem when I first got my guitar. Take it back to the shop, they will deal with it on warranty, i believe.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be taking it back to the shop later today. I can live without the tremolo (would rather learn how to do it with my fret hand anyway), but it was irritating as I'm sure no one would like the idea of having a broken "anything" on a new guitar.
Quote by Hakael
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be taking it back to the shop later today. I can live without the tremolo (would rather learn how to do it with my fret hand anyway), but it was irritating as I'm sure no one would like the idea of having a broken "anything" on a new guitar.

i would worship you as a guitar god if you could drop several semitones with your fingers.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
i would worship you as a guitar god if you could drop several semitones with your fingers.

Pre-bend then release
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
Take the bridge off, remove the trem system along with the springs. Then, re-install the bridge and get a new arm, or get a new trem they are not really expensive, like $20-$30.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Quote by Bloodening
Pre-bend then release

well thats rather obvous, but you probably wouldnt go as far as you could with a whammy, note "several semitones".
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
get some really strong glue or something similar and glue the tremolo arm to the piece that is stuck in the bridge (MAKING SURE THAT YOU DO NOT GET ANY GLUE ON THE EDGE WHERE IT CAN GET INTO THE SCREW THREAD AND GLUE IT THERE), then wait for it to dry fully and then slowly and gently unscrew and remove it....then just buy a new tremolo arm for it
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by rockdude375
get some really strong glue or something similar and glue the tremolo arm to the piece that is stuck in the bridge (MAKING SURE THAT YOU DO NOT GET ANY GLUE ON THE EDGE WHERE IT CAN GET INTO THE SCREW THREAD AND GLUE IT THERE), then wait for it to dry fully and then slowly and gently unscrew and remove it....then just buy a new tremolo arm for it

Unfortunately, it's not that easy a fix. When I "caught" the tremolo arm, I must've torqued/twisted/somethingorother it where the piece that's still caught inside, is pretty much jammed in there and won't turn easily. Attempting to superglue a small piece so I could unscrew it out was unsuccessful as it would continue to break at the point of where the I applied the glue.

Although I didn't spill any glue onto the threads or anything, it's twisted in there enough that it might as well be glued in there.
just try what i said first, happened to me twice
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
oooo....try just taking it to a guitar professional/store or whatever (a good one) and see what they can do....and tell them you dont want a new bridge if you can help it, but only if there is no other way of fixing it
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone