Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I got a question about self-defense. I used to be a pretty big guy and never really had trouble with people because I could just use strength to handle a situation, but I've lost about 40-50 pounds and I've got a problem with being able to handle situations now. So I'm wondering what would be a good form of self-defense that helps for a smaller guy against bigger people. This may be really poorly worded as I am currently experiencing insomnia from stress, but whatever. Thanks for any help.
Any form of martial arts it'll keep you fit and discipline you. or you could always box the **** through someones face.
These walls are closing in, they're bound to suffocate me
Compled to live my life in ways I could never imagine
Can you save the dying eyes? Sentenced to never be free
I stand convicted of all your fucking lies.
there's gotta be some kind of martial arts designed around being smaller than your opponent.
as my teacher says, "just say, please leave me alone, im feeling uncomfortable in this situation"

and im serious. word for word
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/NotsodumbnowamI.jpg[/img]
George Bush - "More than just a euphanism of pubic hair" - Colin Mocharie

MySpace be my friend,...... please?

Quote by iamded
My god... so simple... yet so fucking genius! You rock.
Uh ... do you often have the need to fight?

The best form of self-defence is ... friends.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by farcry
Hey guys, I got a question about self-defense. I used to be a pretty big guy and never really had trouble with people because I could just use strength to handle a situation, but I've lost about 40-50 pounds and I've got a problem with being able to handle situations now. So I'm wondering what would be a good form of self-defense that helps for a smaller guy against bigger people. This may be really poorly worded as I am currently experiencing insomnia from stress, but whatever. Thanks for any help.

Best Video Ever.

http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Bas-Rutten-Self-Defence-Video-f451.html
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
run to your teacher, carry weapons. put back those 40-50 pounds
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
Quote by Fire Hawk
as my teacher says, "just say, please leave me alone, im feeling uncomfortable in this situation"

and im serious. word for word

haha yeah.. when your in a bar and there's a 230 pound guy about to punch you in the face that doesn't really work. I remember one time a guy about 260-270 was starting a fight with my friend and I threw the guy over the bar. That was when I was training with our university but now I've lost all of that. One of my other friend's got curb stomped and his eye socket got broken because he accidentally touched the air hockey puck when people were playing a game. I'm usually the one who tries to stop the fight at least.

and I hated being big, the ladies don't like it at all.
Your size shouldn't matter. If you could kick ass then, you should still be able to now.

I'm 5'5" and have only lost one fight, to a person smaller than me. When bigger people screw with me, I just go for stomach jabs until they get winded. Then, they'll lean down low enough for a good straight one to the jaw.

edit: But if you can't take a punch or four, I've got nothing for ya.
Hung Kuan FTW!
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I'm totally against fighting, but when it comes down to it, I think I can handle myself. I'm 5'8", 130 lbs. I wrestled all through high school and for some reason many people find it awkward when they get taken down. I tend to go into wrestling mode, lol. But I've never had to get into an all out fight before. Besides, I have 4 friends all over 6 ft. tall and over 200 lbs. and they always got my back. That's why we never go to parties unless theres about 3 of us there so that if anything goes down, we're there for eachother. Funny thing is we're all against fighting until push comes to shove.
four words: "use a bar stool" or a pool cue if available. Or just do weights but that takes a while for that actual strength to start showing in fights. I do wrestling and im freakin small for a 16 year old but i can use my strength and skill to beat down most people without having to throw a punch. But if they're a massive black guy then im screwed
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Well, as an actual response to your question:

Judo, it focuses on using the opponent's momentum and weight against them, and is based around throwing maneuvers. It's good for taking down people with more than a few extra pounds on you.
im smaller than everyone else yet when i get really pissed, the guys twice my size end up getting hurt more than me. but they're wussies, they're big but they always flinch.

how tall are you?
5'10, 170. Used to be about 215 with around a 450 benchpress. Those were the good ole days when I could intimidate a bouncer, haha I accidentally typed boner. Jeese I need to sleep.
kick them in the shins...... trust me its hilarious how well it works.......
kid come up to me once and started pushing me around, i was like wtf and kicked him in the shins as hard as i could (didnt wanna start a fist fight) he like went to take a step and like crumpled onto the ground it was so funny...........he likes me now (not in a homosexual way to all those thinking like that -_- )
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Judo was mentioned, its all about throws and holds...get them down and keep them down

barring that, look into Muay Thai kickboxing...after 8 months of that your shin bones should be hard enough to break the average man's leg
*mutters about macho bullshit*

why do boys feel the need to fight each other? IF you get into a fight and you can't avoid it, sure, being able to defend yourself is good, but you talk like you plan on getting into fights on a regular basis...and that is THE single most unattractive thing ever. just buy the other guy a pint instead of provoking him, yeah? peace and love and all that shit. or whatever.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
*mutters about macho bullshit*

why do boys feel the need to fight each other? IF you get into a fight and you can't avoid it, sure, being able to defend yourself is good, but you talk like you plan on getting into fights on a regular basis...and that is THE single most unattractive thing ever. just buy the other guy a pint instead of provoking him, yeah? peace and love and all that shit. or whatever.

I will do everything I can to avoid fighting, everything. Here's a scenario:

So I'm at a nightclub and me and my friends are all going to the back to take a seat and chillout. As I pass a chair I accidentally bump a chair that a girl is sitting in. I say sorry she says it's ok I walk away. 30 seconds later someone shoves me from behind and it's her boyfriend, he explains how he's gonna beat the crap out of me and how I'm dead. So I say it was an accident and put my hand on his shoulder to calm him down and try to shake his hand. So he punches me in the face and gets ready to swing again, I'm not gonna stand there and get punched in the face so I punched him in the stomach, he staggers punches me yet again in the face, so I punch him in the face. That was pretty much the end of that. I'm not making this stuff up, some guys will start a fight no matter what you do.
I would have thought most martial arts would cover taking on a bigger opponent, have to cover all bases. I did karate for about fifteen years and we did plenty of stuff on taking on a bigger guy. In my own personal opinion speed is the key though.
Quote by farcry
there's gotta be some kind of martial arts designed around being smaller than your opponent.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, ftw. I weigh about 260 lbs. I'm a white belt. All the blue belts, and my instructor, a brown belt, can throw me around like I'm nothing. While certain things do require brute strength, the emphasis is definitely on technique.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by LondonGuitar
I would have thought most martial arts would cover taking on a bigger opponent, have to cover all bases. I did karate for about fifteen years and we did plenty of stuff on taking on a bigger guy. In my own personal opinion speed is the key though.

Speed is probably me best asset, what kind of martial arts did you study? Any training I had was from some dude who was in the military but that was based around precision and strength, now that I've lost one of those it's kind of tough.

edit: thanks dirk I'll look into that
Last edited by farcry at Mar 6, 2007,
I suggest Krav Maga, if you're looking only self-defense. Jiu-Jitsu is also a wise choice. I practice Tae Kwon Do, but the amount of self-defense practice varies from quite a lot in different clubs.
Foot to balls style can work nicely.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
I did both Shotokan and Okinawan Goju-Ryu karate. Goju-Ryu is probably the best for fighting a bigger guy due to its slight, fluid movements designed to off-balance someone. Short term it's best to build up your reaction speed, if the other guy can't hit you, you can't lose. Spar with a friend or something.
jab him hard in the nose with your left then hit him right in the button with your right to finish him off ive done that to 3 different people knocks them right out.
Quote by Stratwizard
I suggest Krav Maga, if you're looking only self-defense. Jiu-Jitsu is also a wise choice. I practice Tae Kwon Do, but the amount of self-defense practice varies from quite a lot in different clubs.

I suggest krav maga.
it was designed as combat and self defense, as opposed to discipline.

Karate is pretty much a waste of time as self defense. i did it for about 10 years.
It helps to get you fit, will obviously build up strength and speed, and is a good discipline, but you have to remember it is a discipline.
sensei would make you do pressups if your stance was off, or if your moves were less than aesthetically perfect, which whilst helping in katas, or against someone who is also using karate, is pretty much useless in a RL situation.

Krav maga will sort you out. it'll teach you more about getting into the mentality attacking, and will teach you how to adapt to your surroundings (ie street/bar fights).
its all about attack as the best form of defence, and taking them down before they have a chance to do anything.
only problem is its kinda hard to find places that teach it.

peace out
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Last edited by FunkasPuck at Mar 6, 2007,
Yeah it sounds like I'd really like krav maga but there are currently no classes where I live.
Boxing.

/Thats all you need
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I heard from a friend that the most powerful thing you can do is either
Bite
or
pull down their face and lift your knee into their nose
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
The throat strike is nice too. Hold your hand flat and then ram it into their throat. If done correctly they fall over and don't get back up for a few mintues.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by farcry

That's what all of them are designed for. I'd suggest Hapkido if your really tiny, if you can find a UMAC (United Martial Arts Centers) near you, they teach a really good hapkido/Tae Kwon Do fusion. But you'regoing to have to train about a year in any fighting style to actually be able to use it effectlively.
Dickless.
Quote by seokorn
run to your teacher, carry weapons. put back those 40-50 pounds

DONT DONT DONT carry weapons, things will get out of hand
ITF taekwon do.the self defence part of it is very effective.failing that a elbow strike to the nose or a fingertip thrust to the base of the throat usually does the trick.dont go too hard with the fingertip thrust though,you can kill them
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Are you looking for something on the long-term or just practical tips?
For the practical side, kicks in the balls on the shins are nice. Use your elbows too.
Oh and not wanting to hijack the thread but why is working out in the morning better than in the evening?
Otherwise I think the first thing you should do is get back your confidence.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by Kroach
Are you looking for something on the long-term or just practical tips?
For the practical side, kicks in the balls on the shins are nice. Use your elbows too.
Oh and not wanting to hijack the thread but why is working out in the morning better than in the evening?
Otherwise I think the first thing you should do is get back your confidence.

It's not confidence I'm lacking, it's not being able to pick up a guy and throw him out the door that I can't do anymore. It made solving fights pretty easy.
Page 1 of 2