what do these mean and how do i use them?
sorry if this is totaly noobish but i keep seeing this and dont get it and i cant seem to find a good explenation.

also the "b" symbol means the note is flat right?

thanx guys
Im not quite sure what you mean but if im right in knowing what your saying then its what scale the song is in, You need to know your theory here. And the b symbol does mean flat
i mean like when somone says "its played in the key of A"
what the heck does that mean? lol
it means that the main notes the song uses are in a scale or mode that starts on that note
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Quote by TMAW
it means that the main notes the song uses are in a scale or mode that starts on that note

so if a a song starts on say...the 2nd fret which is Bb it would be played in the key of Bb???
do i get this?
It mostly means play the scale of A major
This means that the song uses chords where the notes of the A major scales are applied.

When someone says the song is in G that means you'll be playing in G major : G A B C D E F# (F sharp) and G(octave).

out of this scales notes there can be alot of chords made : Gmaj Amin(A C E) Bmin (etc..)
Also offcourse more difficult chords but you'll have to go t the lessons section to work that out:P
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Quote by halen_fan53
so if a a song starts on say...the 2nd fret which is Bb it would be played in the key of Bb???
do i get this?

Something like that, the starting note is what key its in so yeah...
The starting note is 80% of the time the rootnote, but not ALWAYS!
It can also be an interval of the rootnote, like a dominant or subdominant.
Most of the time the Ending chord ( or note) of the song shows the key in which the song is played in.

EDIT : and if you were to play with notation (not tabs) you can find the key in which the song is in by counting the sharps (#) or the flats (b)
Quote by BloodMoon666

And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Quote by unfluffed
The starting note is 80% of the time the rootnote, but not ALWAYS!
It can also be an interval of the rootnote, like a dominant or subdominant.
Most of the time the Ending chord ( or note) of the song shows the key in which the song is played in.

EDIT : and if you were to play with notation (not tabs) you can find the key in which the song is in by counting the sharps (#) or the flats (b)

so if the last note of the song was a Bb the song would be in the key of Bb?
Music in pop/rock is in 99% of the cases folowing a plan (can't say it any more clearly:P im dutch..)
The most used principals are:
It starts on de 1st chord of the scale ( the TONICA)
It also ends on the tonica.
In between is a progression of chords which repeats itself

BUT! some composers tend to change this to get a more 'unique or different' sound and feeling to the song.. but in MOST cases these rules apply

NOTE : most cases
Quote by BloodMoon666

And this thread is over!

So it's safe to say that your song is in this case Bb.
You should try playing the scale over the song and hear if it fits
The notes are
Bb C D eb F G A Bb
Quote by BloodMoon666

And this thread is over!

ok so i was right...
i was playing with a friend and he said play in the key of A.
that would mean the root or first note would be played on the first fret corect? and it would use chords and scales that incorpotated that fret/note right?
Well, you saying the root is on the first fret is a little missleading.. I means that the first note out of the scale is the root (in this case an A) The A note is on the E string the fifth fret and not the first.. but then on the A string its just the open string so you could start the scale from there aswell.. it runs over the entire neck of the guitar/bass.

and Yes, you would use chords then are incorporated in the scale.
In Amajor that would be:
A maj, B min C#min Dmaj Emaj F#maj G#dom (am I right? look this one up , im not sure)

I remember when I asked the same questions as you did and it was really difficult to understand.. just search on some lessons and it wil become more clear eventually
Quote by BloodMoon666

And this thread is over!

When he said 'in the key of A' he was probably being a fag and meant to say 'in the key of A minor' which is the most commonly used key in rock/metal and contains the chords:

Amin
Bdim
Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj

With the scale ABCDEFGA (A natural minor)
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Guitarists tend to be a bit ignorant of music theory due to just using tabs, it's far easier to understand the theory if you play something like piano too.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX