Page 1 of 2
My band's rhythm guitarist is in DIRE need of a new amp (the Roland Cube 60 is NOT cutting it anymore - yes it was before, but now that we've reached the stage where we play decent sized gigs, it is being murdered out there), and we all know he needs a half-stack. So you'd think I'd be able to help him myself, but thing is I don't know much about the amps he can afford with his price range ($2000 AUD being the absolute maximum cost). You'd think the dude with the ENGL Invader would know, but nay. I focus on good amps

So yeah, here's where I need the gurus! I've brainstormed with my mate a bit and we've picked out a few that would work with our band, as follows:

- Randall RH150G3 Head and matching cab (about $1400 AUD)
- Peavey XXL Head and matching cab (about $1800 AUD)
- Marshall AVT50 Head and 1960A cab (about $1900 AUD)
- Hughes and Kettner VS100 Vortex head and matching cab (about $1900 AUD)

Obviously the Randall is a ****ing bargain compared to the rest, and sounds to have a rather sweet distortion. But what about the cleans?
The Peavey is the most versatile by far, and I thought sounded really good for a solid state! I've heard people say it isn't very loud, however...
The Marshall I'm told is not as bad as all you nut-cases make it out to be with the right EQ'ing. But then again the price is a bit much for an amp that needs such treatment.
And to be honest I've never heard a Hughes and Kettner amp.

Some details to keep in mind:
- We're a band that has been often compared to the fellow Australian band 'The Butterfly Effect' in our style.
- Holding out and saving his money is not an option for my rhythm guitarist. He's not on a budget that can accommodate that idea unless we want to wait a few years for him to get a good tube amp.
- OBVIOUSLY the amp must be capable of being heard at a gigging level. It does have an ENGL Invader, Ashdown bass amp and a bloody loud drummer to be heard alongside.

So there's the gist of it, I'm interested on hearing what you dudes and dude-ets think. By all means, fire off any ideas and opinions, and I don't mind hearing any suggestions to other amps.

Cheers!
due what you need is a Ibanez Thermion!!!!
they are new for like 2500, 120 watt stack, kikass metal tone, they are high gain too
ive got one new condition for 1800, and ITS TUBE with matching cab,
other then that try a peavey 6505!!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
yeah there resale value isnt very big the thermions, should be able to get a good deal on one of them second hand,

otherwise the peavey 6505 will blow the rest out of the water (dont know why they would be in the water though!!!)
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by Metal_Injection
due what you need is a Ibanez Thermion!!!!
they are new for like 2500, 120 watt stack, kikass metal tone, they are high gain too
ive got one new condition for 1800, and ITS TUBE with matching cab,
other then that try a peavey 6505!!

I'm content with my ENGL.

And the fact that the Thermion is $500 over the cost I stated (which even then I'll bet YOU'RE not talking in Aussie Dollar).

And I'd LOVE for my mate to get a Peavey 6505, I really would. But do you really think he'd be able to get the head AND cabinet for under $2000 AUD? I know he won't. Not even second hand.

EDIT: Urgh, finish typing what you want to say before you post will ya!?
I'll take a look around for the Thermion and see what it sounds like. Never heard of it before, so I don't expect much.
dude theres a guy selling one second hand near were I live with a cab for 1600 AUD
AND i live in melbourne. and peavey 6505's go second hand for 1200, plus a second hand 4x12 cab is like 300 bucks AUD, last 6505 i saw in oz went for like 1000 bucks,
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by Metal_Injection
dude theres a guy selling one second hand near were I live with a cab for 1600 AUD
AND i live in melbourne. and peavey 6505's go second hand for 1200, plus a second hand 4x12 cab is like 300 bucks AUD, last 6505 i saw in oz went for like 1000 bucks,

Where the **** have I been looking!?

My friend, you MUST direct me to the place you find these bargains!
and im pretty sure i saw an ASHDOWN fallen angel head selling on ebay for 999$ a few days ago... just had a look think its gone

but still check into the ashdown series great amps, heres one on ebay in england (not much help i know) but still just to give you an idea,

other then that I would go for the RANDALL or the the PEAVEY, both great amps,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASHDOWN-FALLEN-ANGEL-60W-HEAD_W0QQitemZ110094504901QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by Kikuta
Where the **** have I been looking!?

My friend, you MUST direct me to the place you find these bargains!

www.melband.com.au

not much help though for you at least, however you find some great bargains!!!!
is there a similiar website like this in perth? if so use it lol!!!

or check your local trading post!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
The new Randall G3s are alright. Not good not bad really. My guitar 'partner' has a 100W G2 and it's alright. I played the 300W G3 and it seemed shit to me. It has a tube preamp but is solid state. You can only hear a bit of tube tone when you crank it up to like 7 and then it's way too loud. I suppose if you are stuck on that budget I'd go for the Randall but I think you could find something better second hand.

Even a tube combo would be way better than the Randall. You can get some mesa combos pretty cheap second hand if you shop around.

Or you could do what a lot of bands around here do and borrow someone elses cab and he can buy a $2000 head then and save up for a cab. Unless all the WA bands are ****s. I'm sure you could borrow a cab from somebody to play gigs.

IMO it's not worth buying an amp from that price range. You're kinda in no mans land and there's not much you can find. Once you reach the $2000 mark I think it's better to just keep saving for good tube head and then you won't need to worry about upgrading again later.

Even if he just has the head he can use his old amp for practice/whatever and just borrow a cab for gigs. Surely you guys don't play shows all by yourself, just make friends with other bands.

That's my long winded 2cents anyway.
What about a 6505 COMBO? Its just as loud as the halfstack...might be cheaper...

But yeah, definitely keep your eye out for 2x12 combos. Theyre usually less expensive and yet just as loud.
6505 combos are rare down where i live lol, they retail new for like 2600,

theres a Hughes and Kettener Trilogy head on ebay someplace for 1800, awesome amp for metal, though you might have to burrow a cab!!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Well devoidone, to put it simply everyone's a **** down here in WA. We play gigs with about 3 other bands most of the time, so no, we aren't on a semi-pro level yet.

One of my mates has offered to let him use his Marshall AVT150 stack, but I told him to take that option as the absolute act of desperation. It isn't good to rely on something like that.

I don't want him to get into the habit of depending on everyone else for an amp cabinet. He needs to get his own basic gear. We've agreed that he's stuck at this budget, so it's going to have to be a second-hand tube stack, or a new solid state stack.

As to the combo idea, that'd be last option. We need him to get a stack so he can move some air. He'll need those 4 speakers, I'm sure.
A tube combo will easily SLAY most any SS half stack you can find.

And a 4x12 cab is only like less than 1000 second hand. Wth a decent head a 2x12 would do fine though as well. So it shouldn't take too long to save for that. And he'll have a decent head then too.

I dunno $2000 doesn't buy you much decent stackage. Australia sucks for second hand gear too I think. Everyone wants good money back for it.
Quote by Kikuta
As to the combo idea, that'd be last option. We need him to get a stack so he can move some air. He'll need those 4 speakers, I'm sure.

Highly doubt it...but whatever you say.

Lets just say that my Marshall JCM900 2x12 combo is just as loud as my Mesa Triple Recto head and Mesa 4x12 cab...hell my JCM900 even cuts through the mix better.

The number of speakers isnt important really. Whats more important is how you guys set your levels on stage. Just because you have 4 or 8 speakers doesnt mean that youre automatically going to be heard. Chances are once your other guitar gets the halfstack, youll turn your amp because now hes louder. Then the bass player will turn up. Then the drummer will hit harder. Then it all happens over and over until everything is so loud theres no dynamics and it all sounds like one big blur.

Knowing how to set your levels on stage is the most important thing a gigging band needs to know, honestly. Louder is not better (but yea, a Cube wont cut it. As long as it has a couple speakers and enough wattage thats all ya need). The bigger picture is 'the mix'. If you scoop your mids then youll be 'lost in the mix' which means you have to turn your amp up louder to help cut through...great...now you just threw everything off. Now the others have to play louder....etc.

Its something you learn over time. Just play as much as you can and listen to what the older guys have to tell you for advice.
^ These guys are right, a good tube combo is nearly always a better bet than a SS half-stack.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Budget half stacks are called combos.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Well if you insist on a tube combo, how about some recommendations? Of course there's the Peavey 6505 combo, but they're pretty ****ing rare now aren't they.

I'm thinkng a Laney TT50 or 100 combo...

EDIT: Scouting on eBay revealed THIS .

Sounds like a good deal to me! They're very good amps, I'll have to show him!
Last edited by Kikuta at Mar 6, 2007,
Mesa combos are good. They're pretty cheap second hand.

Just go to your local guitar shops and ask them what kind of second hand amps they have, what other amps they have in your price range. And just ask lots of questions before you even think of buying anything from them.

Shop around a LOT. Especially if you have some smaller type guitar shops, they usually have good second hand stuff in them. And usually (USUALLY, there are exceptions) a smaller shop will be happier to give you a better deal since they really need the word of mouth to get customers who would usually just go to the normal big music shops.

EDIT: haha I looked at your eBaying and seen. Laney Tony Iommi sig head $1099 And was all "MINE!!" Then I seen the US next to it haha lame.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 6, 2007,
Is your friend more of an amp distortion or effects distortion kinda guy?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Mesa combos are good. They're pretty cheap second hand.

Just go to your local guitar shops and ask them what kind of second hand amps they have, what other amps they have in your price range. And just ask lots of questions before you even think of buying anything from them.

Shop around a LOT. Especially if you have some smaller type guitar shops, they usually have good second hand stuff in them. And usually (USUALLY, there are exceptions) a smaller shop will be happier to give you a better deal since they really need the word of mouth to get customers who would usually just go to the normal big music shops.

Don't worry about those details mate, I've done my bit of shopping. You don't spend anything less than an hour per $1000 you're going to spend on something. Not for that kind of money.

I know a fair few shops that will give me frequent buyer discounts, and more smaller ones that will drop the price for me anyway, so we'd be better off with me buying the amp for him...

Quote by the_random_hero
Is your friend more of an amp distortion or effects distortion kinda guy?

Amp distortion.
I remember seeing, Iknow because I wrote it down..

Randall Rh200G2 head and quad. At DRUM POWER in Victoria for $999 PH: 03 9720 4581.

It's no tube amp but it's only $1000 and it'll get the job done.

My other guitarist has the 100W version of this. It's SS but it has an alright tone for metal distortion stuff. The cleans aren't brilliant but they're usable.

Maybe you could check that out. They have a shop on eBay too so if you can find that it's probably still on there.

EDIT: my searching found these.. But I don't know about combos so I didn't put any of them

Ashton 100W Tube half stack

Trace Elliot 100w Tube head

Hughes & Kettner
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 6, 2007,
There used to be ahdown FA half stacks for cheap, I mean real cheap. less than $1000 US. I didn't like the cabinet, but grab the head and another cabinet, you might like it. The FA 180's could be found used for pretty cheap where I am. 180 watts tube. that's about all you'll ever need.
Peavey Windsor
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

That Trace Elliot is pretty good. We have the 112 combo of that at our school, with a retubing it would sound kickass.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
If the Cube has a line-out you can hook it up to a cabinet, then save up for a decent tube head. That's what I intend on doing with my AVT50, until I got enough for a Peavey Windsor or a JCM800.
Check out, if you can, the Ashdown Fallen Angel series. They make a 60watt all tube 2x12 combo for really cheap.

Remember, you can get a good combo NOW and then if you still think you want the extra speakers then just buy an extension cab later on down the road. Most all tube combos have a speaker output...

And trust me...Im not the one to suggest combos. Im a halfstack lover myself...but this particular situation, to me anyways, calls for a good combo.
id say marshall they have an awsome clean tone nd u cn crank up the gain 2 so all round they kick ass
the avt does not kikass! unless your tone deaf
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Peavey 6505 or a 5150 combo, and put it on a chair. It'll easily compete with a half stack.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by STABxYOU
If the Cube has a line-out you can hook it up to a cabinet, then save up for a decent tube head. That's what I intend on doing with my AVT50, until I got enough for a Peavey Windsor or a JCM800.

You need a speaker out to send it to a cab. a line out CANNOT drive speakers.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Check out, if you can, the Ashdown Fallen Angel series. They make a 60watt all tube 2x12 combo for really cheap.

Remember, you can get a good combo NOW and then if you still think you want the extra speakers then just buy an extension cab later on down the road. Most all tube combos have a speaker output...

And trust me...Im not the one to suggest combos. Im a halfstack lover myself...but this particular situation, to me anyways, calls for a good combo.

^+1

I was gigging at a medium sized show (like 200-300 people) and I was using my 2X12 all tube combo (Roadster) and the sound guy told me to turn it down.

Tube amps are better for gigging because:
-Sounds better the louder you turn it up
-About 2.5X louder than SS (Same wattage)
-More usable volume (Try cranking a Solid State, that's why the wattage is so high, so it doesn't clip)

IN SHORT- A tube combo will not only be louder, you will be able to turn it up EVEN MORE without sounding like a fart. Try cranking a tube amp and you'll know.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by Charso
You need a speaker out to send it to a cab. a line out CANNOT drive speakers.

I should of been more clear, thank you.
Quote by STABxYOU
I should of been more clear, thank you.

no prob.
Quote by xifr
Budget half stacks are called combos.

I don't really see how the price changes a half-stack to a combo, but I'm loving the Zappa quote.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Ring Venue Music in Sydney, they've got cheap shipping and some good deals. Might even do you a deal on a JCM.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I don't find Venue very good. At least the shop in the city anyway. The people in there aren't very helpful or nice, they just want to make sales. From my experiences anyway..

I'd rather pay more with good customer service than get something cheap off a c/unt.
Ring Venue Music in Sydney, they've got cheap shipping and some good deals. Might even do you a deal on a JCM. There's some 200W Randall G2 halfstacks floating around at a good price, they're a good halfstack for metal. Inflicts major hearing damage.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Just a couple of notes;

Quote by TheDev01dOne

Despite the name this does not appear to be a tube amp, it looks like it has one preamp tube.

Quote by TheDev01dOne

This guy advertises a 12" Celestion? It's a head.
Page 1 of 2