Poll: What's your gear standard, and what's it used for
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your gear standard, and what's it used for
I have a cheap practice amp for well ... practicing.
40 29%
My Cheap combo is fine for small stages, and I can mic it for bigger stuff.
37 27%
I keep a powerful valve amp in my house although I'm not in a band at the moment
34 25%
I have a cheap practice amp and rent or borrow my stage rig
8 6%
I have a Professional standard rig which is regularly used on stage.
17 13%
Voters: 136.
reposted to correct the poll

Everyone on this site seems to have better gear than us - even those not playing paid gigs, there are so many pictures of ENGL stacks in bedrooms that I'd like to do a poll on what standard of gear is average for our users, and what it gets used for.

Select the answer that best applies to you.

For the purposes of this poll, I'd define Gig standard as head&cabinet rigs, and Valve combos over about 40W.

Cheaper stuff more suited to home or studio use would be Solid state combos, and very low wattage valve gear (Epi Valve Junior, Fender Pro Junior, Crate 5 that kind of thing).

This is not meant to diss people who have awesome rigs mainly used for jamming at home. If I could keep a Fender Bassman in my house just for my own enjoyment I certainly would - not everyone can be in a band all the time.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Mar 6, 2007,
i voted for powerful valve amp but not in a band. however i am in a band and we have just started so we havnt gigged yet.

this is a great idea for a poll
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I voted Professional Standard Rig. Although it isn't on stage as much as I'd like it to be I still think it's pretty professional. Btw, I have more gear than what's in my sig.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
My gear is pretty damned nice. I'd say professional quality. My band isn't quite at gigging standard yet and need some more tunes under out belts but, sod it the last one seems the most appropriate.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Cheap practice amp and borrow head and cab for rehearsing.

Not gigging right now, but looking to get my own head and cab - possibly Valve King.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
My rig is pretty good for clubs. I can mike it for bigger venues, but I'm not at that level yet at all.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Pro gear
Amps:
JCM 900 4502 combo w/ EL34's and V30's (for smaller venues)
JCM 900 4100 head w/EL34's
1960A cabinet loaded with V30's

Guitars:
87 Les Paul Custom
2000 Les Paul Classic
86 Strat w/ HS-3 in bridge
New Takamine G544SC

Board:
Ibanez TS808
Rocktron Hush
Dunlop 535Q
Boss DD-6 Delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Boss GE-7 EQ
Boss Trem
Boss FL-2 Flanger
Boss TU-2
Digitech Badder Monkey (modded by Mark Humphries)

I gig regularly and use pretty much everything listed
Last edited by demea at Mar 6, 2007,
My gear is professional, more or less. But I'm a bedroom player. I just buy what I like.

Guitars:
1999 PRS Standard 24 w/ custom McCarty mod
2001 American Standard Strat w/ custom H-S-H mod
Martin acoustic

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV widebody combo with Ruby 6L6s and Tung-Sol, Sovtek, and JJ 12AX7s/ECC83s

Effects:
Boss DD-3 delay
Boss CE-1 chorus
Digitech Whammy
ProCo Vintage Rat
Line 6 Modulation Modeler
Crybaby
Hi, I'm Peter
60 watts, all tube.

Gibson Guitar.

Pretty much a pro rig
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Well, I have a Laney half stack in my bedroom and my main guitar is Ibanez JEM7VWH but I do play in a band and gig as well.
Im my opinion, my gear is the best money can buy. Ive tried everything under the sun, and this is what Im happiest with. I use it on stage very regularly.
Quote by Dirk Gently
My gear is professional, more or less. But I'm a bedroom player. I just buy what I like.

Guitars:
1999 PRS Standard 24 w/ custom McCarty mod
2001 American Standard Strat w/ custom H-S-H mod
Martin acoustic

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV widebody combo with Ruby 6L6s and Tung-Sol, Sovtek, and JJ 12AX7s/ECC83s

Effects:
Boss DD-3 delay
Boss CE-1 chorus
Digitech Whammy
ProCo Vintage Rat
Line 6 Modulation Modeler
Crybaby

You must be pretty deaf playing that rig in your bedroom
Nice rig.
I've got a semi-"pro" rig I suppose, but I haven't been in a band in nearly 6 years.

Fender 63 Reissue Strat
Mesa Roadster head and 2/12 cab

I'm in the process of building an effects rig that will probably include a TC Electronics G-Major, Keeley TS, Dunlop 535Q, Digitech Whammy and a few other nifty gadgets.

Who cares if you're just jamming at the house with no band, you should still buy the gear that inspires you...and shaking windows on houses 3 blocks away is fun.
Quote by TwoString
I've got a semi-"pro" rig I suppose, but I haven't been in a band in nearly 6 years.

Fender 63 Reissue Strat
Mesa Roadster head and 2/12 cab

I'm in the process of building an effects rig that will probably include a TC Electronics G-Major, Keeley TS, Dunlop 535Q, Digitech Whammy and a few other nifty gadgets.

Who cares if you're just jamming at the house with no band, you should still buy the gear that inspires you...and shaking windows on houses 3 blocks away is fun.

Ooh yeah, when the guys come round to our place, they put mattresses over the doors and windows and you can still hear the bass a block away. That's just with Ollie's 100W ashdown amp driving a 15"speaker - he's going 8X10 as soon as possible. I'm encouraging them to use a proper rehearsal space now though, we've had the cops called before.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I got a VJ combo which is great for home use, and I crank the hell out of it and run it through a 1x15 for stage use.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i have a 250 watt valve amp that i've never actually tested to its limit... and some practice amps lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I guess my rig is fairly professional (minus the 7 string). Though I have not spent much time on stage this year. I will be back out by summer, when the new cd is finished.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
I have an old 120W Sound City valve amp, and I'm not in a band at the moment. The reason is that I have been looking for one for ages, and when I join a band, I don't want to be then spending months trying to find a good Sound City near me that I can try out before I buy it. I'd rather say that I have the stuff and am ready to join and play straight away. Most adverts or bands will want players to have and supply their own equipment.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Outside of my AVT 50, I've got all pro gear, but I still voted for big enough for small gigs and mic for bigger gigs cause thats what I use/plan to use it for. Normally I just jam with my buds.

Gear:
Gibson Firebird Studio
(soon to become a modded monster) Epiphone LP 100 (starter guitar, doesn't get much use now)
Marshall AVT50
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Boss DD3 Digital Delay
Boss PH1 Digital Phaser
Morley Bad Horsie II Contour Wah
Digitech WH1 Whammy
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I have a 30w ss Peavey for bedroom/small gigs. I have a 400w tube amp head, but I've not tried ti yet.

I'm getting a new one soon...tube...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
My gig is pretty proffesional...well, until I get my pedals, then it will be.

I don't consider it as gigging material until I can get my pedals...until then, I"ll be playing in my house. (I need that blasted reverb and deluxe memory man pedals!).

I love my gear though.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
option d for me

EDIT: i have a 10watt squire amp and a digitech RP150 both were gifts so i cant really complain, the amp is obviously pretty hopeless and the all i can say about the RP150 is that it is definately better then the old RP's but still leaves quite a bit to be desired, better then the distortion button on my amp though. (the amp has a volume knob, treble knob and a bass knob and thats it)
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 6, 2007,
I have a solid state combo, but it's big enough for gigs, so I didn't vote. It seemed a bit valve amp biased (that was a tube pun, hilarious. Did you get it?)

I digress, my rig isn't used for gigging at the moment, but what I buy now is bought with the intent to gig in the future.
Quote by J-Spoon
I have a solid state combo, but it's big enough for gigs, so I didn't vote. It seemed a bit valve amp biased (that was a tube pun, hilarious. Did you get it?)

Ouch >.<
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I have a roland cube 20x which to me sounds like it can go loud enough to make you go deaf, probably okay for small stages. Anyways, its fairly crappy compared to most amps; me and my friend are forming a band so I may need alot bigger amp someday.(Someone had a 120 watt anp for $100 something, may need a new amp someday, along with a new guitar because I have a stratocaster and our band is trying to do metal/punk rock, I'll hopefully be able to make it work.)
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Last edited by 50's strat at Mar 6, 2007,
i like bragin about mi stuff i got a vox valvtronix with a zoom gfx pedal kit a fender blackface evil twin annother vox amp i don use it much n about 30 axes mi fav ones are mi lespaul gold top mi epiphone sg doubleneck, fender stratocaster XII, fender 1960 precision bass, 1957 fender telly(antique), annaversary ibaez, epiphone 335 blond and mi epiphone john lee hooker 1964 sheriton limited edition
My Cheap combo is fine for small stages, and I can mic it for bigger stuff.
Crate 120.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
crap and i eat it and step on it and flame it
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...