I could get a used Gibson SG Faded for $250. It is in good condition and would come with a seymour duncan pickup. Should I buy it or get a brand new epiphone sg? I think $250 sounds like a great deal but I don't know much about spotting deals and I am kind of new to the guitar so what do you think? Thanks in advance!
Get the Gibson my friend. If it's in good condition it's totally worth it. Just check the headstock and neck joints for any cracks and if that's good then get it in Bargain.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
That is a good price for a Gibson but the Faded series doesn't really have a great reputation. If the Epiphone SG is the G-400, then try it out as well coz it is almost as good as the Gibson, but if it's not a G-400 then go for the Gibson
Get a G-400 from Epi. I had an SG Faded I received in trade and I had it sold in a week. Felt and looked cheap. Frets were lousy.
try both out. see which one feels nicer to play. get that one. Don't buy a Gibson just because of the name. they have very poor QC. It could be one of the nicest guitars every made or it could be a piece of poo.
I realize I am a newbie around here but I have recently bought an Epi LesPaul and Epiphone has made alot of upgrades since there 'older' days. This one sounds great and plays as good as a Gibson in my opinion. I would check out the Epi before I bought the SG, you may be suprised at how well they play and sound now.
My friend had a Faded Sg..he also was a retard and piad 700+ for it. But in my opinion, the fadeds arent all that nice. Plus, if whoever had it before put a seymour duncan in it, theres a chance it could screw up if he put it in himself and didnt know what he was doing.
g400> faded

i was in the same situation and i played and researched both for a few weeks and made my choice. G400
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
Quote by SnakeHandler
I realize I am a newbie around here but I have recently bought an Epi LesPaul and Epiphone has made alot of upgrades since there 'older' days. This one sounds great and plays as good as a Gibson in my opinion. I would check out the Epi before I bought the SG, you may be suprised at how well they play and sound now.

Um, this is actually untrue.

epiphone's used to be made out of mahogany, and are now made out of alder mahogany sandwiches, which sound terrible.

Just because they started using grover tuners and print propaganda in musicians friend doesn't mean they are better.

TS, GET THE GIBSON. I agree, the faded series is way overpriced, and if you're choices were paying full price for a gibson or an epi I'd vote for the epi. But If the Gibson will be 50 dollars cheaper, I say go for it, it'll sound nicer and hold it's value better.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Try them both out. I personally like the G-400 better than the Faded Sg's. They feel horrible in my hands. But that might just be me. But try them both out and see what you want to do.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
OK...guess I should have been a bit more specific...I have been playing for the last 24 yrs and the Epi that I have now sounds better and plays better than the Epi's that I have had in the past.
Try them out. The Sg fadeds are really hit or miss. As long as it's decent i'd go for the Gibson.