My grades aren't up to par (not all B's) so i lose my guitar for the next 3 weeks until grades come out and i have all B's . But during this time i would like to finally sit down and learn piano. I own a piano, would someone mind teaching me? I can read sheet music, i can work out very very very basic theory. I want to play blues and rock piano. So, anyone who knows how to play piano, would you mind teaching me? I wanna play some Ray Charles, some Elton John... all that good stuff. Thanks.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
google for piano lessons or something
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
Learn every chord.
Learn every way to play every chord.
Learn every scale.
Listen to everything with piano.

Sinner's Prayer by Ray Charles or the eric clapton/BB King version is an excelent song to learn by ear. Great riffs that follow blues scale pretty close.

Just apply knowledge of guitar to keyboard. It's all the same. If you know the blues for guitar, it won't take much to learn blues piano.

Ben Folds is good beginner piano. He does some Elton John.

Don't waste time searching the net for piano lessons. You won't find anything.

Also You won't find any sheet music for blues piano. It just doesn't exist.
Last edited by jaohlert at Mar 6, 2007,
Ok here we go.

The white key to the left of the 2 black keys (EDIT i mean like you know theres 3 grouped together, then a gap, then 2?) is C.

The next white note next to the C is D, then E, then F, and so on.

The blacks are sharps/flats - meaning if there is a black note to the right of a white note, is a sharp of the white note (eg the black note to the right of G is G sharp) and if you chose a white key and press the black key to the left of it, its a flat note (eg the black note to the left of G is G flat)

You probably knew that already but i thought i'd write it anyway! (poorly but hey)

Ok and as you may or may not know, a major chord is a 1st, 3rd, and a fith. So take a root note, C for example, which is the root, or 1st. then count up and find the 3rd (which is E) and then the fith (which is G) Thats C major, and you use that formula on all the notes too. Minor chords are the same but the 3rd is flattened, so you just bring the 3rd down to a flat 3rd. That means C minor is C, Eflat, G.

Ok, you probably knew all that, and if you didnt you probably wont understand my crude descriptions, but i gave it a go for ya
Last edited by y2james2007 :p at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by LadyHellraiser
you would need sheet music. can you read standard notation?

I wouldn't say that, but you do need to know your theory a little. You should be fine if you understand sharps and flats, know the circle of fifths, etc. If you want more than just chords and simple rythms you WILL need to learn sheet music though.
Dickless.
Quote by y2james2007 :p
Did i waste my time? I think i did

probably.

best thing to do is to learn your scales before you get into chords and chord progressions.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If you can read music and have a musical background (this is a guitar forum so let's assume you do) The only real problem you'll encounter is with the notes, and remembering to watch the fingering on the sheet music so you don't end up in any positions where the next note feels miles away. Other than that, y2james seems to have said it all, anything you don't understand can probably be found on a website. Good luck