Page 1 of 2
A question to everybody on the forum who plays fingerstyle.

An honest question.

Can you guys and gals honestly not play when either of your hands are cold?

(Cold, temperature wise, not cold as in practice warmups)

I just find that I miss a lot of notes and timing.

EDIT: after typing this, my hands got warm, negating this thread.
feel free to respond anyways

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Yeah, it used to bother me alot in the winter.

I've found the best solution is those gloves that only go up to half of your finger length, works great for me.

I always keep a pair in my case
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
that was quick lol.

yeah, those gloves rule, I'm wearing them now actually.

also, your signature is.... interesting

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Yeah, I find I'm the same way. Generally if I play for a bit, my hands warm up, and it's fine. However, if I had to I could keep playing. I used to have band practices in the winter in an old shed (a metal band.. I agreed to play with them until they found somebody else..). At some points I was playing solo's with numb fingers. Not so fun, and hard to do, haha.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i wish i played fingerstyle..

but anyways, i mentioned this to someone earlier as well, just soak your hands in some warm water before you play dude.. it should be all good..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by DiabloCoche
that was quick lol.

yeah, those gloves rule, I'm wearing them now actually.

also, your signature is.... interesting

I believe sad is the term
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
man i know what your saying. my hands are almost ALWAYS cold, especially in the fall and winter. i have to warm up for like 15-30 minutes on easy songs before my hands get warm enough to play the more technical stuff and solos. if the heater is too much in my room though, my hands start getting sweaty and that just causes a whole new set of problems. gloves do help though
Quote by BassistGal
I believe sad is the term

Just have a manly avatar.

also, this got front paged. WIN.

Aaron: Never really thought of that, thanks also, the question applied to the right hand too, assuming you're a righty.

wow. that smilies in this forum are out of control.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
I've had the problem before playing a show, and I usually wear gloves with half the finger cut off. If they don't match my outfit though, I wear them until I have to go on stage, and keep flexing my hands. Usually works good.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I got this from a Rodrigo Y Gabriella DVD.
They said that when they busked outdoors in Denmark in the winter that a guy showed them what he called the Viking way to warm the hands, which was to hit the open plams off the back of another person until warmed up. Its supposed to work unless you are on your own obviously.
More often than not I am playing with fingers made of ice.Not only that but when I first arive my bass is also pretty cold too.It makes it quite uncomfortable to play.Usually by the time I am really warm and playing with the most ease we are just about to pack it up for the night.

This really only applies to band practice and sometimes gigs.When I am at home it is usually pretty nice.

I never wear gloves although I did play with mittens on one time as a joke.

I used to soak my hands in warm water before playing bass or guitar but I don't really do that anymore.No reason,I just don't.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by Wolfhound
I got this from a Rodrigo Y Gabriella DVD.
They said that when they busked outdoors in Denmark in the winter that a guy showed them what he called the Viking way to warm the hands, which was to hit the open plams off the back of another person until warmed up. Its supposed to work unless you are on your own obviously.

preemptive peace

"Hey dude, how's it going? High five..... no?... well, will you at least let me bang my hands against your back, cause, you know, I'm in the band... and my hands are cold... and my set is in five minutes........"

" Fine then! No autograph for you."

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
I get this all the time, I use hot water.

If im at school, we have like no cold water so I am forced to play with cold hands in guitar class =[
ya, my hands are almost always cold in the winter. but like many people have said allready, gloves that are half cut off at the fingers work great.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Fingerless gloves for me too, i'm not usually that cold though but when i am, gloves work a treat.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by georgeazguitar
I get this all the time, I use hot water.

If im at school, we have like no cold water so I am forced to play with cold hands in guitar class =[

that's got to be illegal.\

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
doesnt the hot water make your callouses soften up though?

i am primarily a guitarist but i have on occasion been playing bass(only when there isnt an electric guitar available at a jam) and used tight fitting leather gloves. also helps if your fretting fingertips are sore from playing too much. obviously the gloves might get in the way but my bass skills arent too legendary anyway, and it works until they warm up
I sing to warm up my core temp along with wearing gloves before practice and durring. If you sing by belting it out, the warmth will flow right in. Warm your voice box first
Quote by diablo_man
doesnt the hot water make your callouses soften up though?

i am primarily a guitarist but i have on occasion been playing bass(only when there isnt an electric guitar available at a jam) and used tight fitting leather gloves. also helps if your fretting fingertips are sore from playing too much. obviously the gloves might get in the way but my bass skills arent too legendary anyway, and it works until they warm up

Yes hot water does soften callouses. NO Good
Quote by BassistGal
Yeah, it used to bother me alot in the winter.

I've found the best solution is those gloves that only go up to half of your finger length, works great for me.

I always keep a pair in my case

Hobo Gloves FTW - I always wear a pair and they've become a bit of a gimmick with myself and my band. I recommend mismatched colours too ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
The hobo gloves are kinda stylish too I think I'll start wearing them, although my hands are always nice and warm
Every saturday we have band practice and it takes me a while to get my hands limbered and warmed up and when they're cold i miss a lot of notes too. You just can't mvoe them across the strings as well as when they're warm. it's normal i suppose.
signature
yeah, you're not gonna get far on any instrument with cold hands mate. Just warm them up before you start playing - hands in pockets, nice cup of tea (if you're english), and then do a proper ten minute warm up with some scales etc.. you should be fine. unless you live i some remote region where it never gets above -10. then i would say take up snowboarding instead.
I either wrap my hands around a hot mug o' tea, or run warm water over them for a few seconds. And to whomever said that hot water softens your callouses, this is true but only if you leave your hands under the water for a longer period of time. 10 seconds at a time is fine.

Quote by Applehead
unless you live i some remote region where it never gets above -10. then i would say take up snowboarding instead.

Here in Canada, I snowboard 'til I'm properly warmed up, then rock out with my uber-warm hands! Boo yah!

Then I get wasted...
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
10 seconds at a time is fine.

Really? I find that any amount of time ****s my callouses up... Maybe my hands are just retarded
God, I though I was the only one with this problem. Good to know others are out there. I usually rub my hands together and do stretches for a bit before playing.

Of course, sticking them under my significant other's shirt works too, but its not very popular with the spouse....
it happens to me alot. like if i come back from a bike ride in cold weathe ri can't play bass right away, i use warm water, but not anymore cause i just found out it softens callouses...

It happens to me a lot because the basement of the house (where I go on UG) is 10° cooler than my room (where I practice). I just play scales over and over until I feel the blood rushing back into my fingers. (Its a funny feeling when your hands are cold but your fingers are warm) Then its showtime
I HATE cold hands when I play, My fingers stiffen up and I can't play worth crap. I think i might invest in some hobo gloves.

Usually to warm them up I just put them in my pockets and then I have about 3 more minutes until I have to warm them back up.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I had this problem in November time, I had really bad circulation and my hands would get freezing over the past couple of months though my hands are always warm. I have the warmest hands out of all my friends and this makes me very popular with the ladies on cold days

If youre outside keep flexing your hands and keep them in your sleeves. Always warm up before rehersals/practising otherwise youll pull a muscle or a ligament like I did yesterday.
the amount of coldness is pretty unreasonable this time of year
(see my location)

I tried playing something really simple this morning when i woke up
the practice exercise for the Billy Sheehan DVD in case you wondered
(not that fast, obv, since he's outragous)

and i felt like i did when i first picked up a bass a while ago

and applehead. tea is a win, even for us non brits

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
yea i get cold hands a lot. it hurts for a little while if im playing aggressively, but they warm up after a few minutes of some quick finger songs.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
When my fingers are cold, honest to God, they actually slow down. It's really bizarre.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
it doesnt really bother me. like the guy above me i warm up and they get better. or if its real cold you'll be lucky and have your hands numb so you cant feel it anyway =D
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Eh, I never really have that problem, Central Florida for the win.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Eh, I never really have that problem, Central Florida for the win.

/ puts on another layer

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Page 1 of 2