I'm having problems understanding terminology for tone. I've done searches on google and UG, but it seems that there is alot of contradictory info out there. So maybe some of the UG fountains of knowledge can help me understand what it is I want to know.

I want to upgrade my strat pups with Fender CS '69s, but now I'm concerned that they may not produce the tone that I'm after. I love the tone of the JM sig strats, but I can't find anyone that sells the Big Dipper pups. I've played the '62 relic strat and like the tone that it gives.

questions are:

What is the difference between warm, bright, and hot tones, and can you give me some examples of who has the sond for each.

Also, would the '69 CS's give the tone (close) of the '62 relic (I know the relic has 57/62 pups)
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
Quote by Cleared
What is the difference between warm, bright, and hot tones, and can you give me some examples of who has the sond for each.

Warm means the midrange spectrum is accentuated. Think most of SRVs work. JM, too, would be "warm" rather than "bright." Bright tones mean that the treble is accentuated and has a sharper sound. Think Stratocaster bridge. And "hot" really isn't a word for tone - hot is a word for comparison used to describe pickup output.
Also, would the '69 CS's give the tone (close) of the '62 relic (I know the relic has 57/62 pups)

Can't help you there. But I don't think Fender sells those Big Dipper pickups aftermarket. Check out www.sdpickups.com You wait a while, but you'll end up getting exactly what you wanted.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks. I didn't think hot was a term for tone, but I was that it was used that way on another site that I looked up.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6