Basically, I need to know how I should have the EQ on my amp set up when I'm using an EQ pedal.

Thanks in advance.
I've been thinking about getting an EQ soon. Does an EQ over-ride the normal amp EQ, or does it work with it? If for example you had a nice round mix on your normal amp EQ for chords and such, and then on your pedal EQ you had it set trebley for solo's, what happens exactly when you switch the pedal on and off?

I guess I'm just interested in how the EQ pedal and amp EQ interact.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by georgeazguitar
What kind of music and do you want a deep lowish sound or a high bright sound?

I'm in a really versatile band, a lot of indie but some classic stuff. I can more or less get the EQ right when I'm not using it with an amp that has an EQ, but it sounds different through every other amp I use. Should I just go for a flat EQ or find some decent settings before turning the pedal on?
Quote by Revalk
I've been thinking about getting an EQ soon. Does an EQ over-ride the normal amp EQ, or does it work with it? If for example you had a nice round mix on your normal amp EQ for chords and such, and then on your pedal EQ you had it set trebley for solo's, what happens exactly when you switch the pedal on and off?

If you want a normal tone to a trebly tone, get a treble boost. BBE makes some great ones.

As for the guy with the EQ, find a good EQ on your amp, THEN turn your pedal on and find one on your EQ. Test it by switching it on and off, it will take a while to sound nice. It all depends on the tone your ear likes. Your EQ might not sound great for everything so dont always use it unless you play the same thing always.
Last edited by georgeazguitar at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by Revalk

I'm by no means an expert on either amps, effects or EQ's, but I'm pretty sure an EQ-pedal works in conjunction (I think that's the right word?) with your amp EQ, so if you set the pedal to neutral, you will barely notice a difference when turned on, if you boost the treble signal on the pedal, you will get your main amp sound but with a treblier touch, etc.
I'm sure the transparency differs between different EQ pedals as well.
Quote by georgeazguitar
If you want a normal tone to a trebly tone, get a treble boost. BBE makes some great ones.
Well, I'm not looking for treble-specific EQ. That was just an example. I didn't know about that pedal though, so cool.
Quote by maxter0
I'm by no means an expert on either amps, effects or EQ's, but I'm pretty sure an EQ-pedal works in conjunction (I think that's the right word?) with your amp EQ, so if you set the pedal to neutral, you will barely notice a difference when turned on, if you boost the treble signal on the pedal, you will get your main amp sound but with a treblier touch, etc.
I'm sure the transparency differs between different EQ pedals as well.
Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to make that useful though. Thanks for the info.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
you an use equalizers in several different ways. you can use one to have on all the time just so you have more control over your tone than you would have with a 3 band equalizer, or you can use one or as many as you would like fr multiple tones. a lot of people use multiple ones for sols, different rythm tones etc. just set yyour amp to an setting you like then go through and adjust the equalizers according to what you want.
i would imagine that an EQ pedal out front could never completely override the amp's EQ. your amp's EQ is going to shape whatever you send into it, whether that tone is already shaped by an external EQ or not. the EQ pedal in front helps a LOT, but it's not the final EQ in the chain.

i have had the same question as the thread starter.. i assumed there was a flat setting for the amp EQ to accommodate an external pedal. but now that i think about it, as the second EQ in the chain, the amp EQ is better off having a similar setting or it will spoil what you've done with the external one.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!