Talk boxes, great fun but so damn expensive and hard to use, right? Wrong!

Combining the Rockton talk box and the heil talk box I have come up with the ultimate talker. It uses the pre amp from your chosen amp to give your talk box any tone you have in your amp, but it also means that you don’t have excessive power being fed in to your mouth, like you would if you used a 50 watt head for example, so it is perfectly safe as well as great tone. It also gives you the opportunity to use the talk box on a clean sound (which no other talk box has done before)

First gather the components, make a small power amp (under five watts is best) and put together the power amp, this is the most vital part in this build. For info on building a power amp go to

http://www.ssguitar.com/

Alternatively, if your poor grab your self a computer speaker and keep the power amp section from that, this is also a good place to get your speaker from. Keep the wiring in tact. Now get your self a switch (DPDT) and two input jacks, using the wiring diagram I will provide shortly wire up your electronics.

Once this has been completed, take the electronics and put them in a suitable enclosure, one that can hold your weight as well as one big enough to hold the components, have the speaker facing upwards and attach it into place, drill a hole big enough to fit the tube/pipe in but so it has a tight fit, seal up the container and attach jacks in appropriate places. Once every thing is in firmly and the area around the pipe it air tight, your ready to rock.

This thread maybe slightly vague so id suggest looking around for similar builds.

Some good ones are:

http://www.blamepro.com/talkboxG.htm
http://www.headcrack.com/page.php?id=14
http://www.instructables.com/id/EZ5...D7R5Z9?ALLSTEPS

This build shouldn’t cost you too much, if you use a computer speaker as opposed to building your own power amp (as others have done) it will be a fraction of the price, but being a tone freak I decided that building my own would be best, however I will not post how I did that here.

Good luck guys, pics coming soon as are clips.

Any tips for talk box builds or how to use a talk box can be posted here, as can your own attempts at building one. Have fun stay safe.
thanks for posting this...Aventually..I'll try it..I have my old 5 watt amp..would that work? Oh, and btw, ive been wondering what a talk box is?
it would work.

a talk box is a device that takes the sound from a guitar and sends it to the users mouth where the sound is manipulated in to various sounds making it sound like some one talking.

listen to bon jovi - living on a prayer and its my life
and peter framton - do you feel like we do

for more
i maintain my question, can a talkbox be used without an effects loop?
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
0thersid3, I am going to build a talkbox too. I have already bought the parts that i needed and I have used the Blamepro site that you also provided to learn the diagrams and all that jazz. However, you say that you are making a combination of the Rocktron Banshee and the Heil, so do you mean that you are actually putting a separate pre-amp and the horn driver (speaker) into the box, or just the driver? You kinda had me confused there for a second ..

I have a horn driver which i am going to use to drive the sound into my mouth, so i need to plug the talkbox (when i finish it) to the speaker out jack of my amp which will result in the sound coming through the horn driver in the talkbox to my mouth. The way the Banshee does the system with their box is that they use it as a normal stompbox which they plug in between your guitar and amp, in the pedal chain. They make this possible because in the Banshee, there is a pre-amp AND a horn driver. My question i guess would be whether you are making your talkbox into one with a pre-amp and a horn driver so you can put it in your pedal chain, or just the traditional talkbox which you plug into your speaker out jack etc.-?

I hope your pedal will turn out well (or did you finish it already ?). Sorry if this sounds too much like a rant. Actually now that I read it, it sounds like i'm talking to myself more that anyone else . Please ignore my poor grammar though.

(i hope i made sense )
it can be used with out effects loop

yeah it wont sound the same thogh

its not a pre amp i use my amps pre amp(thats why its in the loop)

(please guys call me ben i hate my ****ing screen name)

did i anser all the questions?
I've built a talkbox into my MG15DFX, here's some pics:

I'm scared it won't be loud enough for my gig in a month though. Even with a mic. Or I need to learn to make out with the mic better.

Here's a sound sample: http://www.box.net/public/3u4a0p1zpi

Don't comment the playing, I'd just built it then, so I was just noodling around.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at Mar 6, 2007,
doooooooooooood that looks so cool!

you will need to mic it up though it is the same for all talk boxes sorry. but that deffently looks cool what did you use to join the tube and the speaker up?
Quote by The_0thersid3
it would work.

a talk box is a device that takes the sound from a guitar and sends it to the users mouth where the sound is manipulated in to various sounds making it sound like some one talking.

listen to bon jovi - living on a prayer and its my life
and peter framton - do you feel like we do

for more

oh i've heard of these..k thanks
Sounds awsome actually,though I think it sounds a bit weak.

Question:
Will you be using the MG as your gig amp?
hmmm..... so far i have built the talk boxs power amp but the wiring up of the switches and jacks is proving difficult for me, any tips? ill get pics as soon as its done...
Good tutorial. Your original work I assume?

I'll incorporate this into the tutorial thread when I make it.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Ben, I just pushed the tube into the funnel. The funnel is connected to the speaker (a 20$ car-radio midtoner, wasn't in the mood for looking for a cheap horn driver, they were either too small or too expensive around here, and I didn't want to buy an expensive one for a "fool around" project) with the duct tape and some glue from the heat gun. There's still improvements to be made, I need to put some kind of sponge against the funnel, as it resonates quite a lot and eats up the sound.

Question: Will putting sponge around the funnel increase the volume coming out of the tube, or just diminish the volume of the funnel resonating?

Ok, to answer someones quiestion, no I will not be using the MG as a gig amp, the MG will only be my talkbox, my gig amp is a Marshall JCM900 combo, and there will be a homemade A/B box inbetween those two and my guitar.

Oh and two interesting links for wannabe talkbox builders:

http://www.blamepro.com/talkboxG.htm
http://www.bandnut.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2375&PN=1

And here's a cheap horn driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-097

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at Mar 8, 2007,
Question: Will putting sponge around the funnel increase the volume coming out of the tube, or just diminish the volume of the funnel resonating?

diminish

id recomend buying one of those funnels that are like Y shapes, and finding a tube that will just slot over the top of the long shaft part tightly this should be efficient, i wouldnt cover up any area between the speaker and the end of the tube where your mouth goes.
This build is so cool. Did you watch the Ghetto Talkbox?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
thats what inspired me, if you have the cash then build your own power amp, also i do not like horn drivers they are too expsensive and a cheap speaker is just as good(if not better) a computor speaker is what most people use.
I have two spare horn drivers and would be intrested in building a talkbox.

I'd like to build a talkbox that works in an FX loop. Is it possible?
there is a couple good youtube vids on how to make them
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by The_0thersid3
i could make it a million times better, i just dont know how to post pictures.

When you click post reply, you see some buttons above the posting area (Bold, italic, etc.). Well 5th from the right is one called insert image.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
^i don't think he's gonna post back

anyway...great build
and ghetto talkbox is just great

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
That sounds really cool. Now, what can I do with my old practice amps....
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
The one thing I dont understand about the talkbox, is when the sound goes through the tube into your mouth, how does it then get sent to your cab speakers?
could i build a talkbox using one of those little Danelectro mini amp pedals? Any tips on how i could pull it off?
Are they just a preamp, or a preamp and power amp?

someone turn the NANO head by zvex into a talkbox, and I'll be happy.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.