Okay, I actually bought an amp the other day. It's a Stagg, cost £69 but the store keeper sold it to me for £59. It's 40w, and is keeping up well. Only problem is, I bought this amp so I could adjust the settings, get a new tone and all that jazz, because my previous amp was crap. However, whenever I adjust anything, there isn;t an effect. I've tried everything, but the only things that work is the master volume, and bass. Does anyone know why? Is there some sort of secret to it I've yet to discover?

Cheers if you answer
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
The secret is don't buy a £59 amp and expect it to be any good.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
The secret is don't buy a £59 amp and expect it to be any good.

+1

I think I have that model... my bro got me it for £5. Load of bollocks it was
When the shopkeeper offers to take 10 off the price of an already cheap-ass amp, that's when you walk away my friend.
Quote by Ellron
Masterbate to her image then tell her about it...Then you will have to forget about her.

Quote by unplugtheradio
im gonna go tell my friends that if i die i want a myspace bulletin about me.
I see... it's all I can afford, so I couldn't have a more expensive one. Plus I know the keeper well, so I figured he wouldn't be mean to me like that

Ah well, it's still better than my old one.

-Matthew Arnold

^ Go up to him and confront him.

Bass equip is expensive, you cant afford being ripped off.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I'm incredibally shy when it comes to stuff like that. I don't do gigs, the only shows I do are inside school which has a good amp already. I don't intend on joining a serious band and doing shows, so it's not a major problem.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by BassistGal
^ Go up to him and confront him.

Bass equip is expensive, you cant afford being ripped off.

Agreed. Ask the person to play it and see if they can make the effects work. If not, ask them to refund you or fix it.
Quote by Ellron
Masterbate to her image then tell her about it...Then you will have to forget about her.

Quote by unplugtheradio
im gonna go tell my friends that if i die i want a myspace bulletin about me.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I'm incredibally shy when it comes to stuff like that. I don't do gigs, the only shows I do are inside school which has a good amp already. I don't intend on joining a serious band and doing shows, so it's not a major problem.

Im very shy on that kind of stuff too, never know how to approach them, the words mumbled up in my mouth, and stuff like that.

But i still advise you to do so, the better amp \ bass \ new strings will worth it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I would have no problem with it if I didn't know the keeper so well. He's a friend, but not quite. The sort of friends between an adult who acts like a teenager and some actual teenagers. He's a nice guy with a small store and needs to make a profit, so I know I'd just find it real hard.

-Matthew Arnold

It is easily possible to modify the tone section if you're too much of a wuss to take it back Dinky! Just swap out the pots for some higher value ones and do a few sums to choose capacitor values and a touch of soldering. You could even put in a parametric mids control or something like that!

Alternatively you could get an EQ pedal - you can probably get a Behringer one for £10-15 on ebay.
Quote by smb
It is easily possible to modify the tone section if you're too much of a wuss to take it back Dinky! Just swap out the pots for some higher value ones and do a few sums to choose capacitor values and a touch of soldering. You could even put in a parametric mids control or something like that!

Alternatively you could get an EQ pedal - you can probably get a Behringer one for £10-15 on ebay.

I can try buying something... I can't understnad anything electronical for crap though. Shame, considering I do electronics GCSE =/

-Matthew Arnold

Dinky, give him a call. it's easier than face to face confrontation. Just explain and see what he says. us brits are too damn polite!! you paid for something that doesnt work how it should, so you have every right to take it back. if he found out the cash you gave to him was fake, do you think he would say "ah never mind, she's a nice girl". Would he ****!

And on another note.. you shouldnt say to yourself you dont want to be in a band. Once you get to a level where you feel you are good enough, you might change your mind. A musicians goal should always be to perform for others - that's the beauty of music. It's something we should share, not keep to ourselves.

Peace
wow apple thats a speech and a half. very empowering

and yeh dinky like apple said phone the guy tell him the amps fuked and chances are he'll say bring it in so he can sort it out/replace it/refund
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah Apple's right as usual. Besides, he'd rather you were happy I'm sure! Do let us know what you decide to do anyway!
Quote by Applehead
A musicians goal should always be to perform for others - that's the beauty of music. It's something we should share, not keep to ourselves.

Completely agree with this. As usual Applehead knows what he is talking about. Performing and playing in a group also gives you more motivation, and helps to improve you as a player (unless you are playing in some shitty pop-punk band )
On the topic of the amp, take it back! Don't accept any shit that doesn't work properly!
Quote by Applehead
Dinky, give him a call. it's easier than face to face confrontation. Just explain and see what he says. us brits are too damn polite!! you paid for something that doesnt work how it should, so you have every right to take it back. if he found out the cash you gave to him was fake, do you think he would say "ah never mind, she's a nice girl". Would he ****!

And on another note.. you shouldnt say to yourself you dont want to be in a band. Once you get to a level where you feel you are good enough, you might change your mind. A musicians goal should always be to perform for others - that's the beauty of music. It's something we should share, not keep to ourselves.

Peace

'm just going to bury my head in the sand... we are indeed too polite.

However, every musician has a different goal. Mine perosnally isn't to share it with others, to perform to crowds, it is in fact to continue playing for as long as it entertains and comforts me, and I can continue to strive to improve. I'm more concerned with developing skill and appreciation for music for myself, not other people.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I'm more concerned with developing skill and appreciation for music for myself, not other people.

Trust me, there is no better way to do that, than by playing with other people. That is not just me saying that, but about 40+ combined years of playing music my parents have between them.
I' ve done some crazy shit in my time, real crazy. But nothing compares to the feeling of playing your instrument to cheering crowds. Knowing you are controlling their feelings through your music. That shit is something money just cant buy, and that's why learning and playing an instrument is so rewarding. We bring music to the people. Without us, what is there to listen to?

I hope you change your mind.

With respect, of course.

A
American women are pretty bad about confrontation as well. However, if you are usually polite and direct, most merchants will honor the request to fix the issue, on both sides of the Atlantic.

On the value of performance. Playing music for me has been an intensely personal thing as well, and I started playing bass again to cope with a difficult and stressful time in my life. But I would highly recommend that you push the boundaries and play for others at some point, beyond the school environment.

I have played in groups in the past, and hope to do so this summer again. Getting to the point where I was comfortable with live performance was difficult, because I am hyper-critical (and continue to be so) of my own playing. However, once I was pushed into playing to an audience, there was no turning back and there is a definite high that you give and receive from this experience, which can bring shivers up your spine and border on a transcendent experience.
You pay for what you get I guess although I payed £60 for a 2nd hand amp over eBay. Its awesome, built in Britain by a company called Torque, I've seen some of their newer guitar amps.

This bass amp is really nice, got a beefy 15" celestion speaker inside too.

hannah, I think you should rearrange the name of this thread to "A what amp not to buy"