Well i've been wanting a better sound in my playing for a long while now and at first i thought right i better invest in a new guitar.... but then when i asked people they said you should look into a new amp. I've read all the stickies on amps and what to buy and recommendations and i have found out that my amp probably isn't that bad for my needs which is a nice beefy metal tone. As it is a roland cube and i noticed that was in the section for good high-gain amps.

But now when i go to playing and try my hand at some nice high notes like in solos it sounds awful. It doesn't sound like anything you hear from any metal band and it just sounds really tame.

So now i'm thinking better pickup? i have a yamaha pacifica 112 and i mainly use the humbucker but maybe that is the cause of my problems? i was speaking to my friend today he was saying how good tube amps are and that i should get a half stack etc. but when SS amps are not even that bad at low volumes for high-gain... whats the point?

So can anybody suggest what i should be considering to get those high notes sounding more metal?

Many Thanks
i had a similar problem get thicker strings from your local guitar shop this will help when using Drop C etc and give u a more metal sound it has worked for me!!!!!1

hope this helps!!!!

ahhmust
yea i'm doing that this weekend lol thanks... but what about for playing those higher notes on the G B and e strings?
Quote by 3nemy
Well i've been wanting a better sound in my playing for a long while now and at first i thought right i better invest in a new guitar.... but then when i asked people they said you should look into a new amp. I've read all the stickies on amps and what to buy and recommendations and i have found out that my amp probably isn't that bad for my needs which is a nice beefy metal tone. As it is a roland cube and i noticed that was in the section for good high-gain amps.

But now when i go to playing and try my hand at some nice high notes like in solos it sounds awful. It doesn't sound like anything you hear from any metal band and it just sounds really tame.

So now i'm thinking better pickup? i have a yamaha pacifica 112 and i mainly use the humbucker but maybe that is the cause of my problems? i was speaking to my friend today he was saying how good tube amps are and that i should get a half stack etc. but when SS amps are not even that bad at low volumes for high-gain... whats the point?

So can anybody suggest what i should be considering to get those high notes sounding more metal?

Many Thanks

u have to mess with the settings on the amp in order to get what you want... but u do need to research the amps and make sure they fit your style of playing. i.e. if u play metal, steer clear from fender amps.
Personally, I love the roland cube series, but as a gigging amp I would prefer at least a hybrid amp. The problem ive run into with single coils/crappy guitars is that when you play it through a ss amp, the tone goes to shit when youre playing higher up on the neck.

I would say, find a guitar tone you really like, then try to get that pickup that they use. For instance, I prefer Bush's guitar tone, so I looked at a trembucker. A better pickup will have a more even magnetic induction from the pickup itself, and a hybrid amp will help with the preamp distortion and not making it sound so tranistor-y. Higher end SS amps take care of that with more sophisticated circuitry, but the cube does not.

Hopefully that helps.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Ok thanks so what would you say maybe go for some beefier strings and look into a humbucker to replace my shitty yamaha one? would it be possible to put an emg in there?