So me and my friend have decided we're gonna try and make a pirate rock band for kicks and see how it turns out. So do you guys here have any ideas for keys, styles, or scales/modes that would be good to play in for "pirate" music? Because i dont really know where to start, only pirate music ive heard recently is Captain Dan's stuff and thats rap so that doesnt help too much. Any help is much appreciated
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
^ like all music, most "pirate" type music is inherent to the instruments used and the inflections on the notes. i will say i notice a lot of major type movements in the music (some use minor type stuff, but its not quite as often) i haven't done a lot of research on "pirate" music (mainly cuz i don't sail the high seas looking for treasure) but i would just recommend getting music for traditional pirate type music such as "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" and looking at how those were written. i believe they are in a very similar context to traditional irish music but with slightly different inflections (but don't quote me on this, its just something i noticed by listening)
Listen to some Tom Waits and The Decemberists and maybe even some Flogging Molly.

+1 I was going to suggest Flogging Molly in fact. Yeah any type of upbeat song that wouldnt include an electric guitar would work. Just get a couple of chords and move fast between then.

Like 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 in a 4/4. Then just sing like a pirate! lol
Go with celtic stuff, and get some celtic insturments, and do a rock cover of the Pirates of the Carribean theme. And don't forget the Dropkick Murphies and try to get deeper into punk.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
Also the headbang part from Bohemian Rhapsody sounds kinda piratey, go look into that.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
Listen to Running Wild, it's a German pirate metal band. They started out playing power metal with a satanic wibe, but after a while sorta drifted into the pirate stuff and have stuck with it since.
Seriously, they are pretty awesome, and very, very piratey.
Pirate music like sea shanties? They're a capella...
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.