Im a guitar player but i wanted to buy a really cheap bass and bass amp for home use only. What brand/model do you think i should buy? Are bass-amp packs any good?
Im looking for a versatile instrument, rock is my thing, from The Beatles to The Killers going through Oasis and U2.
Hell is empty. All the devils are here. - William Shakespeare
Hmm.. I've heard good stuuff about the Yamaha and Ibanez starter packs.

I myself started on a Squier P Bass and im very happy with it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
unfortunately its rare to find something thats good AND cheap at the same time , if you want a good bass, you need to be willing to pay a bit more
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I have a Yamaha RBX170 which i started on and it's a very good bass. Also the Ibanez GSR200 is good
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I have a Yamaha RBX170 which i started on and it's a very good bass. Also the Ibanez GSR200 is good

Yamaha RBX170 is very good for the price. And its very sexy (mines black)
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
Yamaha RBX170 is very good for the price. And its very sexy (mines black)

I got mine in candy apple red It was the only colour they had lol but its awesome
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd go for the OLP MM2, or at least that's what i did. Great axe that doesn't cost much really.
If you can give us a rough budget in USD/GBP it'd help a lot of people.

Yamaha RBX-170 and 270 are both tough, sturdy basses, as are the Ibanez GSR-200's, as covered before. In fact, in my opinion Yamaha completely dominates the low-end market as far as quality goes.

Apparently the recent runs of Squiers have ironed out a lot of the creases and shortcomings of their predecessors - obviously Fender are realising that every other company is producing better low-end gear then they are.

As for cheap amps, Laney are excellent amps. I play an RB-8 myself, and the lower end models like the RB-2 (30 watts into a 10" speaker) are still decent sounding and reliable amps. And they have bigger speakers than many practice amps.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Check out the Dean Metalman series, about $199 and I've heard very good reports on the sound and playability.
Quote by rexherring
Check out the Dean Metalman series, about $199 and I've heard very good reports on the sound and playability.

...Where?

Anyway, Caustic's post is quite correct. I'll add to it by saying you should check out the Peavey Millenium III series, they're excellent starter basses as well.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by smb
Go second hand! Go to a load of pawn shops and see what they've got that plays nice.

Seconded, you might find a good bass thats been marked down for fixable things like missing knobs or pickguard or something. Definitely give it a go.
Quote by canadianpunk071
...Where?

Anyway, Caustic's post is quite correct. I'll add to it by saying you should check out the Peavey Millenium III series, they're excellent starter basses as well.

Here's one place for Metalman.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=metalman

I picked up Peavey Millenium 5 string for $170 on e-bay and it's also a good sounding bass. The 34 inch scale is a little floppy for the low B though. Now I'm waiting for my Dean Hardtail Bass, neckthrough, trans black flame, limited production for the DOA (Dean Owners of America), only 12 made.
Here's a link to the Dean forum article and pics.

http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27808
Quote by rexherring

Musician's Friend reviews are not reliable sources of information. "Wow, these Rogue basses got 4.5 stars! Brilliant!"
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Musician's Friend reviews are not reliable sources of information. "Wow, these Rogue basses got 4.5 stars! Brilliant!"

No, don't believe them (MF), I'm going by actual bass players I shoot the bull with and some of the Dean Forum members who are real picky. (I mean, REAL PICKY)

ps - I have a cheapie Rogue bass I bought for my son and after a lot of neck / action adjustment, plays and sounds o.k., neck is a little thick but it works for a starter bass. It's hard to compare entry level basses to something like my 1981 G&L L-1000, USA made by Leo himself. That thing plays "Like Butta".
anything by OLP.

their the best starter anything IMO
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
anything by OLP.

+1
i tried some out, and they played very well, and had a tone that was far above its price.
This might have been mentioned already but the Ibanez jump start kit is pretty good and cheap, i think the bass is called GIO but its basicly a GSR 200. you also get a 10w practice amp, a lead, tuner, picks, and a strap.

i think i got mine for under £200 but it was a few years ago so i could be wrong.
The Silvertone Revolver LB11 bass pack is a good, cheap pack ($200). It comes with an instructional DVD, an electronic tuner, a gig bag, a strap, an amp, bass picks, truss rod tools, and the Silvertone Revolver bass. I'm a beginner and I like this pack, it's cheap too.

Good luck.
Quote by canadianpunk071

Oh, man. I forgot about Peavey, it's not a name that springs to mind when I think bass. But the low end Peavey's are pretty decent basses, yeah. Bit of a baseball-bat neck, but playable.

This might have been mentioned already but the Ibanez jump start kit is pretty good and cheap, i think the bass is called GIO but its basicly a GSR 200. you also get a 10w practice amp, a lead, tuner, picks, and a strap.

I would never, ever recommend a starter kit to anyone. The stuff they put in those things might have a name similar to the low-level models you buy seperately... but the quality is far, far lower.

anything by OLP.

OLP are decent, but for someone starting out, all they offer is a reasonable budget approximation of the MusicMan tone.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Mar 8, 2007,