View poll results: Do You Care About Grammar On UG Posts
Yes things should be spelled right and correct
81 73%
No I don't give a crap
30 27%
Voters: 111.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you care about grammar on UG Posts
I personally don't care as long as I can make out what the person is saying.
I'll put a poll up so we can vote on it.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
i hate grammar Nazis....
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Only immature kids spell crap like "u, y, gr8, sk8bord, plz", and constantly misuse the words "Your" and "You're"

EDIT: Immature kids, and ignorant kids choosing to slaughter their language for the sake of not having to learn to type correctly, and to type faster.
Quote by acoustic87
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you care about grammar on UG Posts[.]
I personally don't care as long as I can make out what the person is saying.
I'll put a poll up so we can vote on it.

Sorry, couldn't resist .
Terms and Conditions apply.
Not really. If I can understand what they're saying without having to put much effort in I don't care if they make spelling mistakes. People who get wound up over it need to realise we're posting about getting girlfriends pregnant and masturbation, not writing an English essay.
i don't mind too much with bad grammar, it's the spelling that f*cks me off
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by Robbie n strat
Not really. If I can understand what they're saying without having to put much effort in I don't care if they make spelling mistakes. People who get wound up over it need to realise we're posting about getting girlfriends pregnant and masturbation, not writing an English essay.

"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I actually like to be able to read what things say so yes, proper grammar and punctuation are important.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
As long as they get their point across without me having to think "what? What? What?" it's all good.

There is one thing that annoys me though... when people type really big posts without making any paragraphs.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Who cares? It's a forum, not english class. You can get pleanty of practice correcting grammatical errors in highschool. As long as it is ledgible, it's fine with me.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Right and correctly.

I don't even know if I'm right on that one though, but it sounds better.

I'm not too bothered if people aren't always right. Although it has to be readable, with capital letters and punctuation.
I always notice spelling, but rarely will I say much, and if I do, it's usually a joke/reminder. Nothing condescending. Grammar I tend to not notice as much, mainly because mine isn't that great.

But yeah, in general it's nice when people talk in half decent sentences with good spelling. I wouldn't ever tell people to spend a lot of time trying to spell everything right, or not to post if they weren't great at it, but if you can, please do basically. As long as I can understand you easily enough, I don't have any big issues.

A|s0, I (A|\|t s+8nd 1337 sp38k half the time (not even enough to finish trying to do that sentence) other then for the odd creative funny use of it.

Oh, and this is easy, and requires no knowledge really:
- Use paragraphs: only takes a random <enter> button here and there
- Use periods: I'm pretty sure everyone here knows when a sentence ends
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Last edited by Revalk at Mar 6, 2007,
I ussually don't care much about spelling assuming it is a typo. But when it goes obscene and you just can't spell, then I get annoyed. Grammar to me is always important.
For example without grammar:
i help my uncle jack of a horse
With grammar:
I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.
Yes, I notice and criticise incorrect spelling/grammar. People should get it right and there's no excuse for it being wrong.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
As long as it looks like they've at least tried to make it right it doesn't bother me.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Yes, I ****ing hate it. I can't stand whenever I see some huge paragraph that doesn't have proper spacing, no periods or commas, and those stupid abreviations. I could care less about spelling, so long as you're not taking the easy way out and saying shit like gr8 or gd.
Dickless.
Quote by Leviethan
I should be capitalized, not nazi.

no nazi should be Nazi

you clearly dont know what you're talking about
<//////>~
people shouldnt use l337, or spell wrong deliberately. But thats my opinion, and im not really bothered if people do it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Nobody asks you to speak English as correctly as the editors of the Oxford Dictionary, but if you can't even speak your own native language properly you're not any more intelligent or knowledgeable than the peasant who hasn't seen schooling in his life and spends his whole day working the fields and milking cows.

Language is the most elementary indicator that you're a smart and civilized person. Butchering entire sentences and typing with your ass is on the same level as saying "I'm an uneducated retard, what I say isn't important."
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
What some people tend to forget is that there is many people on this forum that doesn't have english as their native language. Those people (including myself) may have trouble with grammar and spelling.
Quote by myself101
no nazi should be Nazi

you clearly dont know what you're talking about

LOL at you. The term "grammar nazi" is not a proper noun. If it was just the term Nazi it is capitalized, but not grammar nazi. Please do not modify correct statements.
kthxbai
Quote by Leviethan
LOL at you. The term "grammar nazi" is not a proper noun. If it was just the term Nazi it is capitalized, but not grammar nazi. Please do not modify correct statements.
kthxbai

LOL last time I checked, kthxbai wasnt actually a word at all
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by PlayTheMetal
Who cares? It's a forum, not english class. You can get pleanty of practice correcting grammatical errors in highschool. As long as it is ledgible, it's fine with me.

Legible

I r Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Leviethan
kthxbai

Yes, but according to Phylis' therom of the noun you are alowed to do that.

kthxbai

That is not a word.
<//////>~
Quote by Mad Marius
Nobody asks you to speak English as correctly as the editors of the Oxford Dictionary, but if you can't even speak your own native language properly you're not any more intelligent or knowledgeable than the peasant who hasn't seen schooling in his life and spends his whole day working the fields and milking cows.

Language is the most elementary indicator that you're a smart and civilized person. Butchering entire sentences and typing with your ass is on the same level as saying "I'm an uneducated retard, what I say isn't important."
Just because I've grown up on a farm and know multiple people who "spends his whole day working the fields and milking cows," I think it's unfair to call these people "uneducated retards." Many of these people are extremely intelligent, but are simply content to live simpler lives. I know that if you were to force them through the school system, they'd excel beyond that of the average.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

On a forum where almost everyone is fairly literate, I wouldn't have voted "yes", but around here you can't quite make the same claims. I'm certainly not into the whole grammar nazi thing (unless I'm around my friends, to piss them off), but the post should be easily readable and the meaning easily inferred. I'm flexible about grammar, but you have to be clear.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Actually, I personally don't care about grammar, spelling and abbreviations; but people don't take you very seriously if you tlk lyk dis.
I wouldn't say the urban dictionary is necessarily a good source of accurate words. You'd also need to include:
- multislacking
- wikilobbying
- nipplegate
- homoblivious

and many more sillinesses.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Leviethan
Can you please explain this to me because all I know about Phyllis is that it is part of Greek mythology.

I think you need to read "Nouns Through The Ages" by Phyllis Agrilerture

Quote by Leviethan

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douche+bag

Term 2.
<//////>~
Quote by GreenDayChris
As long as it looks like they've at least tried to make it right it doesn't bother me.

+1

I always try to use good English, but since I'm not a native English-speaker some things are hard to write in perfect English. I don't care about small errors of other users if they're not intentional, but I do get annoyed when I see my grammar is better than an Englishman or American.

Feel free to correct this.
Quote by frankv
+1

I always try to use good English, but since I'm not a native English-speaker some things are hard to write in perfect English. I don't care about small errors of other users if they're not intentional, but I do get annoyed when I see my grammar is better than an Englishman or American.

Feel free to correct this.
Based on that, you're already beating the majority of English language natives

Well, almost.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Leviethan
*reported*
Don't you love UG Utopia

*reported*

you said "LOL at you"

share the love, dont me so mean
<//////>~
Page 1 of 2