I am (still) on my way to saving up for a half stack. But now I have a job, meaning I have more money and can buy better things!

I have decided upon getting the 410TP cab, but am undecided as to whether I should get the cheaper 250 watt head, or the 350 watt head. The extra power will probably come in handy later on in life, but is it worth waiting an extra month (or two) for me to save up extra?

Also, what about the older models of Hartke heads on eBay and such sites? Are they to be steered away from, or are they a good bargain? I don't see much difference, except for design and a little less wattage, but I know little about this subject.

Cheers
I dunno much about Hartke heads, but my combi amp (Hartke B150) is great.

I thought the Hartke 7000 was the top-notch amp head of Hartke, so I don't think that would be a bad choice (and it's relatively cheap).
Quote by Belgian Bastard
I thought the Hartke 7000 was the top-notch amp head of Hartke, so I don't think that would be a bad choice (and it's relatively cheap).

It is their best head, but isn't that cheap. It is about £500 on eBay, etc. I am still at school, and looking to spend not much over £250 for a head!
By saying relatively, I meant compared to some other *Big* amps (like Marshall, Mesa Boogie, etc...)

Besides, I'm saving money for the Hartke 7000 (and the 810 XL Box), and still have a long way to go too(But I can dream).
They are nice amps, the sound is a little too compressed for me but the 350 watt is a very nice head
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
What about the 250 watt head? I would prefer to get that as it is that much cheaper, meaning I can get it at the end of the month. Whereas the 350 is an extra £100 or so. Much difference in the sound of the two heads, excluding volume?
Don't skimp yourself out. You have a job, just save up a few more paychecks and go for something that'll last the long run.

This past weekend I tried my favorite Hartke's ever, I believe it was 3500a head + a 115 cab. It was a monster tone. I'm thinking of calling Phil to congratulate him.
haha
^ Yep. I bought the 350 over the 250 and I have not regretted it since, I can keep up with an acoustic drum kit. I don't think the 250 would be able to. The 350w will last you alot longer, especially if you want to run more than one cab.

Also, think of it this way. At 8ohms the 3500A puts out 240w. At 8ohms the 2500 pushes out about 140w. Doesn't sound like much when you're only running one cab. That, and it's alot more expensive to buy a head now, then have to buy another later because you don't have enough power.

At mate of mine has the 3500 and the 410 TP, good rig. And very light cab. I've got the same head but a VX115. I though the VX would be crap, but it's actually quite good, I prefer the tone over the 410 TP. (But I like 115's over 4x10's in general.) But the 410 TP is much more efficient and louder. So if you really want the head now, you could go for a 3500a, a VX 115, and add on a 210 TP later. (That's what I'm planning to do.)

Just a note on the VX's: They sound pretty good for the price, and they cut through/project well even outdoors. But they aren't very efficient, and I had a few problems with the horn. If you listen to the song "jumpin' around" in my bands link in my sig, the distortion on the bass at the start is actually the tweeter distorting. The only reason it got picked up was because there was a mic on the horn, I couldn't hear it while recording. (Some how we didn't hear it during mixing either, beats me how.) That was 8-9 months ago. It only happened once again a few months ago,and has been fine since. But that makes me wary of the tweeters in the VX series.

You won't have any of those problems with the TP series.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
I don't think the 250 would be able to.

It totally can, even when i was only running one 8ohm cab mine kept up with our drummer perfectly well.
I think I will get the 3500 head then. Just means I have to wait even longer without an amp that works. Balls...
Although it is my birthday soonish, so I'll just for some money in advance
Quote by Chimpy101
I think I will get the 3500 head then. Just means I have to wait even longer without an amp that works. Balls...
Although it is my birthday soonish, so I'll just for some money in advance

The wait will be worth it, believe me you will thank yourself later
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Belgian Bastard
By saying relatively, I meant compared to some other *Big* amps (like Marshall, Mesa Boogie, etc...)
And then you quote brands that mostly produce guitar amps...

Anyhow, they're somewhere in the lower midrange price class I guess. Great amps for not that much money. My 3500 has served me for almost 4 years now and is still kicking it. I've used it intensly for gigging both indoor and outdoor, altough most of the shows the bass was DI'ed. My VX410 however is almost ready for replacement. All the transportation and a loud rehearsal once every week has taken its toll on it.

On a side note: Belgian Bastard, whereabout in Belgium?
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by FunkMaster

Anyhow, they're somewhere in the lower midrange price class I guess. Great amps for not that much money. My 3500 has served me for almost 4 years now and is still kicking it. I've used it intensly for gigging both indoor and outdoor, altough most of the shows the bass was DI'ed. My VX410 however is almost ready for replacement. All the transportation and a loud rehearsal once every week has taken its toll on it.

Limburg
Quote by FunkMaster

Both mesa and marshall produce bass amps, but neither of them are reknowned for it. Hartkes seem like a pretty trustworthy rig though. And defintely go for the 350 watts, it makes a world of difference.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I don't mean to hijack, but on the subject of Hartke, what's this aluminum cone speaker business about? What are the advatages/disadvantages of them (Harke being the aluminum cone pioneer).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ They are meant to sound clearer, and have more cut through. All I know is that the TP 410 cuts well, has a good amount of bass, and is loud. But I still prefer the sound of a VX115, even if it isn't a better cab in terms of reliability or volume.

Try a Hartke XL cab or something and compare it to a paper cone cab, you'll notice the difference.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It totally can, even when i was only running one 8ohm cab mine kept up with our drummer perfectly well.

Fair enough. I mean when a good drummer is playing as loud as he can though. But it's not like that happens every day anyway. I would still go for the 350w for more headroom, and you won't have to upgrade it as soon.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I own exactly what you want and let me tell you 250 watts is all you will ever need unitl your record company pays for your gear (lol)
the thing is that a 410 cab can only move so much air
ive gigged this little baby so much and it has not let me down and not been pushed past 4 yet so dont let anyone tell you 250 watts is no good
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by TGM
I mean when a good drummer is playing as loud as he can though. But it's not like that happens every day anyway. I would still go for the 350w for more headroom, and you won't have to upgrade it as soon.

My drummer really doesn't have "quiet" setting, as it were, and anyway with a second cab it kept up with 2 guitarists, the drummer and our singer being put through the PA.
The Hartke guy gave out his phone number in guitar mag adverts so you could just call him up for his opinion
Quote by Your41Plague12
Both mesa and marshall produce bass amps, but neither of them are reknowned for it.
Hence the mostly in my post...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
I own a Hartke 3500 head and a 410TP transporter cab (the ones with the aluminium cones = beautiful) and its just everything youll ever need, i've never been let down by it, it never goes about a 6 on the volume and pre amp setting and i play in a 5 piece band, ive gigged with it in large venues and its been great. id recommend it alot, the 3500 head has so much more than the 250W one, save up for the 3500 and you really wont regret it.