I heard it was a decent amp by someone that plays the same kind of music that I play (Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc.), and it's only around $600

Yes, I know it is Solid State, and tube is 'so much better', but I just want to know, considering it is a solid state amp, is it a good stack for as low as the price tag is? Would this be a good amp for someone with a budget around $700?
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
A big (and extremely impressive in front of your friends) half stack doesn't mean good sound. If fact, I would never recommend such a poor amp choice to anyone. We don't just say "tube is so much better" for no reason. For those bands I suggest looking into a Peavey Windsor. It will give you great early thrash tones. The Windsor would (by lack of a better term) rip the balls off of the Randall every day of the week.

By the way, you're lucky I'm not feeling like a dick tonight, or I wouldn't have responded in light of your ignorant bumping.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Alright, whatever. I wasn't going for it just because it was a "stack", I was getting it because I THOUGHT it might have been efficient, and I couldn't have judged that because there were no reviews for the amp on this site.

I was actually considering getting the amp you own right now as well, but I heard that they break down easily, so maybe you can tell me how good your amp is so I can get back on the right track and see if that's the amp I want.

(Last paragraph wasn't supposed to come off rude if it did, I just heard some recording from my friend who had the same amp [Randall], and it sounded sweet, and he said he didn't tweak the recording in anyway.)

Last time I checked, no one really responds to topics that are at the bottom of the barrel, so I brought it up, just for the sake of an answer. I'm sorry :P
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

^^ not really. (ass hole above you)

^it's alright man, take it easy.

the windsor is by NO means a metal amp. the randall is actually pretty good for a solid state amp. but mind you, i nabbed a peavey XXX of ebay for $600. a friend of mine has that randall, and it sounds fine though. try it, if it seems like an amp for you, go for it. but be weary, as your ear develops you might start to notice the thin-ness and fuzz from solid state amps.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
^ not really.

the windsor is by NO means a metal amp. the randall is actually pretty good for a solid state amp. but mind you, i nabbed a peavey XXX of ebay for $600. a friend of mine has that randall, and it sounds fine though. try it, if it seems like an amp for you, go for it. but be weary, as your ear develops you might start to notice the thin-ness and fuzz from solid state amps.

So in otherwords, it's about as good as I'm gonna get for a cheap solid state?

Alright, which one would you say is better for what I play?

The Randall or the B-52 AT212 Tube Combo.

I guess I know the answer to this one, but I've heard about reliability issues on the B-52, so I donno.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

eh, i personaly HATE the b-52.

the clean is just plain boring. no shimmer, no sparkle, just flat. like a soda left out for a year.

the amber channel was OK. still really thin and fizzy, but it tries to put in some girth, but just gets mush.

the lead channel is even worse. all mush, no deffinition. just a plain bad amplifier.

if i was in your shoes, i'd check ebay first for a used 6505 / 5150 or XXX. see what you can dig up, both are fantastic amps. i love my XXX. but, failing that, the randall isn't all that bad.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yeah, my local store has a Peavey 6505, and I occasionally jam on that thing. Sounds great, as does the XXX. I just have a crappy Peavey amp right now (Studio Pro 112 - Transtube), so an upgrade to another peavey amp is just slightly frightening if you catch my drift. I'm gonna start looking though.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

^ just curious gpderek09.. if you love your XXX, how come Peavey isn't amid all the fancy names in your avatar?

*cough* name-dropping *cough*
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
i didn't make the avatar. the guy who i asked to make it, i had included peavey and fender in the pics i wanted to alternate. but he left them out i guess.

plus that was long before i even had the peavey.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ah well, i guess the guy who made it just thought peavey and fender weren't obscure enough for it
enjoy that amp!
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
perhaps, but i'd hardly call mesa/laney/marshall/engl/bogner/framus/diezel obscure.

maybe somethinge like a splawn, dumble, or two rock, would be obscure.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565