Alright, so I have a project in Geography about Asian arts, and on the list of topics was sitar. I chose it, of course. For the project my teacher said I could play a sitar song on my guitar for the class, so here are my questions: what's a good song if anyone knows one, and what tuning should I use? Thanks guys, if anyone knows. Also, keep in mind I have 14 days to do this, so nothing hard please.
Wow...I honestly haven't a clue, but I don't think it's like playing a guitar. It uses seperate tunings throughout songs and you have to finger pick it regardless.
Eek. I've watched people play the sitar (had a band come in earlier this year) and it didn't look THAT different. I just have no clue on how to tune it.
Quote by SaulHudson
Eek. I've watched people play the sitar (had a band come in earlier this year) and it didn't look THAT different. I just have no clue on how to tune it.

Well, okay then. They are usually tuned (in the most common sense) as either C# or D. This can cary depending on the teacher and region of which the instrument is originated. I think it's standard 12 fret octave, but I could be wrong.
Within You, Without You?

That's the only sitar song I know, other than the intro to Wherever I May Roam.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
The only sitar thing I know is the intro to Paint it Black haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
By the way, try defretting a guitar. That ways you get full semi- half and whole tone range. It can sound just like a sitar. I did this to my Squier, and it owns.
I'm back, you douchebags.
the start of wherever i may roam -metallica (i think thats a sitar?)
or the start of 4 degrees -tool (again i think thats a sitar, not sure)

dont know the tunings but yea, thats all that comes to mind.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
You won't sound anywhere close to a sitar without the sympathetic strings.

You can achieve an approaching similar effect (nothing close though) with a well set up flanger.

Indian ragas (scale forms) do use quartertones, you can acheive that effect with good bends

check out shakti for some indian classical insprired acoustic treasure.
I believe that in their music, they have a 22 note scale so... as opposed to our 12 notes, it might be a little hard.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
You can't play a sitar song on a guitar. You can get some semblance of the sound with one of those sitar-guitars though.
Sitars are buil very differently from guitars you can tune them any way you want to, I've heard of them being tuned in fifths, though (seven notes apart) the thing is, sitars have 21 strings, and unique frets that are spaced differently to form a different kind of scale.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!