Ok, so, I was looking at my powertab for Ghost of the Navigator, and I'm trying to learn the whole song. Then I saw the one thing that makes me shy away from any song I try to learn: the solo. Because of it, I have had to turn away from many of my favorite songs that I try to learn. It's not the fact that I can't play them, it's the fact that there are so many notes to remember, how do you guys do it? If anyone can give me tips for remembering notes.............or for playing solos in general ............................. it would be appreciated
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

It's not remebering the notes, it's getting your hand to automatically go to the next note without thinking about. If you have to remember which fret comes next when you are playing a solo, you haven't learned it yet. All of this means practice, practice, practice.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
oh ok thanks
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

wat you could try to do is take the parts of the solo that you can remember, like parts that stand out but that are playable, and just add your own stuff.
I've been there; solo's used to always scare me off of learning songs, cause I used to think learning a song without the solo was Blasphemy.

Well, anyway, the thing I did was, I stopped to see the solo as a flurry of notes, I used to break it up in smaller parts, be it a particular run or a complete measure all together. Try to see the solo as, what most guitarists like to call it, a bunch of 'phrases' tangled into each other. (it makes sense, really)

So:

|---------------------------------------|
|--13b----L----13br--L-13p-10-----10-11-|
|-----------------------------13--------|

--------------------------------------------|
--12-11-10----------------------------------|
-----------12-11-10----10h-12---------------|
--------------------12----------------------|

... would be the first phrase to learn, and...

--13b----13p-12p-10----10-----------------------------|
10------------------10----13-12h-13p-12p-10--------10-|
--------------------------------------------13--13----|
------------------------------------------------------|

-------------------------------------------------------|
--11-10----11-10---------------------------------------|
--------13-------13-12p-11p-10-12p-10----10-12b-L------|
--------------------------------------12---------------|

... would be the second phrase.

Bonus cookies to who guesses what song that is.
is it ghost of the navigator? lol...
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

It's not because there's too many notes, it's just that they're too close together. If there were more spread apart like the rest of the tab, it wouldn't look so challenging.

It's usually easy anyway to memorize it, just do one bar at a time, play it until you've got it and then move onto the next.
You have to train your ears too. If you know what the notes on the fretboard sound like then you'll know where you should be going next provided you know what the solo sounds like.

This is also why you should learn the basic principles of soloing ie basic penatonic stuff, simple blues improv before attempting something complicated. It just looks like a load of rando notes to you at the moment, if you spend a bit of time studying the basics of soloing you'll find it a lot easier to spot patterns.

Try a few easy AC/DC solos first...Highway to Hell, Touch Too Much and You Shook Me All night long are probably the easiest, but at the same time read up on the pentatonic scale and things should start to make a lot more sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 6, 2007,
very good question.well get it down with looking then play it alot til u can do it with out lookin at it. thats wat i do
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join