hey im getting my guitar pretty soon and i just want to be sure about a few things.Like one is if the tuner that you get in a package..do you just pluck the string and it tells you if its tuned or not?Palm muting..i tried palm muting..but it just makes the strings sound dull...i keep my palm on the bridge when i play like it is said to...How do you set up your amp so it has a nice sound?..like treble,bass,high..etc.Also i realized that sometimes when theres a solo in a metal song..the guitarist usually holds the string with his index finger while playing with his other fingers on his hand..why does he do that..like for example...this isnt a solo but on the song from Metallica-For Whom The Bell Tolls..when kirk plays his part..he holds his index finger while playing..12-9-12 or something.Also when they say rake mute with your fingers..what do they mean by that? like for example theres a song that i noticed that had something like G:--6..what do you do?
D:--x
A:--4
also what is distortion..and are there any tips on how to pick faster and better?Thank you for your time.
the tuner tells what the note and how close you are to tuning the string, you tune it till you line goes in the middle, for palm muting the spot where you put your wrist kinda depends on the guitar, if its too dull try moving it down some (i usually rest my hand on my guitar and barely touch the string and the x in tabs can mean two different things it could mean open if its between to numbers or strum the guitar without pressing down all the way on the fretboard
Palm Muting : Practice makes perfect..... or close at least. Gonna take time and experimentation with different positions and pressures.... also hand angles.

"Index Baring" : meaning that it's much easier to play a note that's already being pressed as opposed to trying to "finger" (grin) each note separately. Some guitarists.... Jimmy Page especially didn't use the "Bar" method much. But he was Sick.

so by pressing the index finger across the fret and keeping it there it automatically gives you access to play each of those 6 notes from bottom to top with only having to pluck the strings.... basically you get to play 3 notes with only having to move 2 fingers.

Explaining "distortion" and other tech type stuff if probably a mood point.

Basically you have "Clean" / "Natural".... and "Dirty".

Clean and Natural are intended to keep the natural tone and sound your guitar makes and "AMPlify" it to louder volumes. Not all AMPS do this very well. Some do it quite well......and some people could care less. But anyway.

Dirty is when you manipulate the signal that's coming out of the guitar..... resulting in "Distortion" "Gain" "effects" "delay" "phase".... ect and ect.

Just know that there is Crappy Quality Distortion and Good Quality Distortion

Crap = Solid state amps.... basically anything under $400.00 is just about Crap.

Good = Tube amps... like Marshall JCM, Orange, Matchless, Peavey Classic, Carvin, ect.

"x" typically means "muting". Keep in mind that you can mute with either your right strumming hand..... or with the fingers on your left hand.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
As for "picking" and help like that..... Practice. Talking like hours hours days days months month years years.

work on "Double" or "Alternate" picking Immediately. Meaning learn to pick the string from above and below. Up and Down. Then work on alternating picking and changing strings and so forth.

Also to point out that some of the most important skills for being a good guitar player is Hand Synchronization techniques. Both hands have to work together and in time with each other. Whether it's for sturmming, picking, fingering, or muting. Gotta be in synch with each other much like a Drummers legs and arms must work together...... but also independently of each other. Same with guitar. Most of the work is in the Left hand. Plenty of guys can play some serious riffs and solos with just their left hand on the Neck only. But at the same time no matter how good your left hand is..... if you right hand sucks then it ain't gonna work.

There are some good Intro / Beginner books out there that also come with CD's so that you can SEE the exercises.... and also HEAR and PLAY along with them.

Great guitar has a LOT to do with great Technique. Not everything..... but it's tough to play really well without it.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
thanks for the help guys...but a question that wasnt yet answered...does it matter how you set up your amp?...you know like the high,med,low,drive etc...