Lets take some random scenarios...

If Germany and Japan won WW2 what would the world be like?

If the Confedarates won the Civil War what the U.S be like?

You could take some that you've thought of and yeah....
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
If a butterfly flaps his wings in California will they're be a monsoon in Asia?

Chaos Theory, my friend. For every action there's an equal oppposite reaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
If my hero Stonewall Jackson hadn't been killed by friendly fire he would have overruled Robert E. Lee (my other hero) and Picket's Charge would not have happened at Gettysburg (Pickets charge really effed us up)
If we hadn't lost Gettysburg we might have won the war. Had we won the war, I'd own myself a couple of slaves right about now.
Notice I say we
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by Leviethan
1. We wouldn't have the UN HOORAY!
2. US would be a confederacy, like the UN BOO!

The UN was formed in the aftermath of the First World war...
uhhh no that would be the league of nations, it was the idea that the UN was based on.
Quote by Witch-king
You have THE coolest name on UG. Man I shoulda picked that...

member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join
Quote by burningcowsrule

I'm about 90% sure I'm wrong but didn't President Woodrow Wilson have an idea for something like the U.N. but it was batted down, to be accepted later?
A part of his Fourteen Points after World War One
Quote by Dr_Feelgood
uhhh no that would be the league of nations, it was the idea that the UN was based on.

dammit i have been beaten to it
Quote by burningcowsrule

WRONG!
Quote by Dr_Feelgood

RIGHT!
Quote by LastAuramancer
what if Lars Ulrich died in the bus crash instead of Cliff Burton?

original napster would still be running, and metallica would still be bad ass
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by LastAuramancer

Metallica would be a much better band then they are today. and Cliff would probably make an even more wicked bass solo then Anesthesia/ Pulling teeth.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Quote by Saje
If a butterfly flaps his wings in California will they're be a monsoon in Asia?

Chaos Theory, my friend. For every action there's an equal oppposite reaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

You don't seem to know much about chaos theory. It's more about the effects that small changes in certain variables, such as a butterfly's activity, can have in complex systems, such as weather. It also kind of contradicts your "For every action there's an equal oppposite[sic] reaction", because the principle you're referring to actually underlines the very opposite; that some actions have very disproportionate effects, and this distribution of proportionate effects is also by definition of the concept unequal.

In terms of the thread question, this may or may not apply in history. It's a matter of philosophical debate whether or not the Axis powers COULD have won WWII; the preconditions that led this to happen may or may not have been predetermined, and it is impossible to say whether or not they could have been changed (as such a change would bring about similar conflicts of preconditions). Hence "what-ifs" are tricky and not particularly meaningful; true randoms, if they exist, are often actually eliminated in certain systems, and so, for example, for Germany to have won World War II the industrial capabilities of the States would have had to have been crippled somehow, and this is unlikely to be possible without its own set of complex causes.

I hate to kill the game, but history is too complicated to ask what-ifs so lightly.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by DashBlaster
What if Kurt Cobain hadn't died?

I dont think things would have changed much. He'd still be a junkie and he'd probably be fighting over his daughter with Courtney. He'd probably be all over the news aswell.
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Quote by LastAuramancer

Then no one would say Cliff Burton is anything special, and Metallica's best albums wouldn't have been the same.