Page 1 of 2
how to i get a tone, like chimera or bullet for my valentine or even papa roach. i have a squir guitar, peavey classic 50 amp, and Boss MT-2 metal pedal
Getting rid of your metal zone pedal for a start and replacing it with a quality OD pedal. Also use a guitar with humbuckers, and as already said, scooped mids, boosted highs and boosted bass on the amp.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
boost the mid, bass, and gain. and maybe turn the high down a little. this should give you a nice distortion
metal muff wit top boost. best metal pedal ever worth the 90 bucks
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Quote by NilesKeller
how to i get a tone, like chimera or bullet for my valentine or even papa roach. i have a squir guitar, peavey classic 50 amp, and Boss MT-2 metal pedal

well.. you're not going to get a metal tone when aiming for those bands...

But seriously, a Hi-gain, Hi-quailty amp. And at least a decent guitar with humbuckers...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
to get a real metal sound -

equalization-
low- up as far as it goes
middle- about halfway
high-half way

ive never used that pedal so thats all i can tell ya...sorry. i use a Zoom 505 II pedal, and its real easy to setup real metal like.
throw out the metal zone (joking, sell it).

turn your peavey up as loud as it goes (warning, get earplugs), on the OD channel. having 6L6's, that might get you close. A booster pedal mightn't hurt either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
without the pedal go, drive 10 bass 7/8 mid4 treble 9 chan vol 10 master vol play about with it.

and on the squire turn the tone knob closest to you right down, the furthest right up and vol to right up. bridge pickup.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
yeah, get a new guitar because single coils dont have the 'umph' you need to get a metal tone
for a start, dont listen to the idiots telling you to toss the metal zone (this is where i get flamed for dissing dave) no, its not the best distort pedal out there, but with a bit of work you can get absolutely kickass tones from it.

im not to familiar with your equipment, but theres a sticky of the ultimate settings thread, check it out. theres some pretty decent ones on there that would provide excellent starting points for you.
my band mate has a metal zone and i think it sounds sh*t tbh.
in total guitar, they tabbed "tears don't fall" by bullet a while back -
gain was set to about 8 and i cant remember the treble/mid/bass settings off hand but i'll check them later.
Top lel.
Quote by denied
for a start, dont listen to the idiots telling you to toss the metal zone (this is where i get flamed for dissing dave) no, its not the best distort pedal out there, but with a bit of work you can get absolutely kickass tones from it.

im not to familiar with your equipment, but theres a sticky of the ultimate settings thread, check it out. theres some pretty decent ones on there that would provide excellent starting points for you.

i'm not gonna flame you... to be fair, if you can't crank the amp, you might have to make do with the metal zone... or similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^very true.

Can I be safe to say a guitar with humbuckers would be a good idea?

And for settings, please don't scoop mids. It's inhumane.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
The Mt-2 isnt that bad, Ive got one and it took a while to get a good sound but its pretty nice now when i cant crank my amp. As for settings you could try like bass 8, high 7, and mids 5, with gain set to how you like. It gives a slightly scooped sound but its not to bad. Or you could try boosting your mids and keepig the bass around 8 and drop the highs to maybe 5 or 6.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not gonna flame you... to be fair, if you can't crank the amp, you might have to make do with the metal zone... or similar.

Cranking a Classic 50 won't get you a metal tone. At best you'd be lucky to get an oldschool punk or maybe heavy metal/classic rock, but definitely not modern.

Set the pedal like this

Level (whatever you want, preferrably low so you can crank your power tubes)

Bass: 5
Treble: 6-8
Midrange frequency: 7-10
Mids: 4

Distortion- whatever you want, usually 6-10.

Now, plug into your amp (high input if you have one) Make sure any extra stuff is off (Bright switch, for example.)

Keep the PRE gain low, you want to be able to turn your pedal off and hear clean-ish notes.

Keep the EQ flat (all set to 5)

Now, work with your EQ to get a pretty fat tone without it being too boomy. Mids will make it rounder, Bass will make it bigger, treble will give it definiton.

Presence extends the range of the "High" tone pot, so it will give you more highs and make it more open/airy/raw feeling.

Depth is the "Presence" for the lows knob.

Generally it just comes with alot of tweaking.

Start at the pedal with the EQ all flat on both the pedal and amp (mid freq turned up all the way. unmodded MT-2 are almost unusable otherwise) and then work from there.

Dial in the PEDAL first, then use small bits of amp EQ to tweak the overall tone.

Quote by Sendrith
^very true.

Can I be safe to say a guitar with humbuckers would be a good idea?

And for settings, please don't scoop mids. It's inhumane.

Unless you like a nasal, round tone, you should scoop mids. You don't have to scoop all of them, but rather than having a gay EQ with the mids at 10 and bass at 5, you should have a flatter EQ which is more like B: 6 M:4 T:6 that gives you a solid tone without sacrificing alot of cut.
Quote by NilesKeller

i thought he meant real metal
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Haha papa roach? Good metal tone? .. wait.. Just... Metal? Haha

Anyway 'good' metal tone = ESP w/ active EMGS - Mesa/boogie Dual rectifier. The end.

Most unoriginal people looking for SOMEONE ELSE'S tone instead of their own like that setup.
just out of general curiousity, what do people consider a "good" metal tone?
as in more 80s metal...
Top lel.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Haha papa roach? Good metal tone? .. wait.. Just... Metal? Haha

Anyway 'good' metal tone = ESP w/ active EMGS - Mesa/boogie Dual rectifier. The end.

Most unoriginal people looking for SOMEONE ELSE'S tone instead of their own like that setup.

no... just no...
That might not be listed as someone else's rig.. but it certainly is generic...

I'd much rather take a Jackson w/ passive Bareknuckles and a VHT Pittbull and an Xotic RC boost... cause at least then I won't sound like the next "metalhead".
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
ok, if you were to have a nice guitar with high output pickups, and a high gain valve amp, it would go like this:

guitar - Bridge pickup. Tone and volume on full.

effects - NONE!!!

amp -

Lead channel, Gain 4-8.
Bass - 8
Mids - between 4 and 7
Treble - 7.

ya see, now i've not contributed to your thread in anyway, im happy. laters.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Cranking a Classic 50 won't get you a metal tone. At best you'd be lucky to get an oldschool punk or maybe heavy metal/classic rock, but definitely not modern.

Set the pedal like this

Level (whatever you want, preferrably low so you can crank your power tubes)

Bass: 5
Treble: 6-8
Midrange frequency: 7-10
Mids: 4

Distortion- whatever you want, usually 6-10.

Now, plug into your amp (high input if you have one) Make sure any extra stuff is off (Bright switch, for example.)

Keep the PRE gain low, you want to be able to turn your pedal off and hear clean-ish notes.

Keep the EQ flat (all set to 5)

Now, work with your EQ to get a pretty fat tone without it being too boomy. Mids will make it rounder, Bass will make it bigger, treble will give it definiton.

Presence extends the range of the "High" tone pot, so it will give you more highs and make it more open/airy/raw feeling.

Depth is the "Presence" for the lows knob.

Generally it just comes with alot of tweaking.

Start at the pedal with the EQ all flat on both the pedal and amp (mid freq turned up all the way. unmodded MT-2 are almost unusable otherwise) and then work from there.

Dial in the PEDAL first, then use small bits of amp EQ to tweak the overall tone.

Unless you like a nasal, round tone, you should scoop mids. You don't have to scoop all of them, but rather than having a gay EQ with the mids at 10 and bass at 5, you should have a flatter EQ which is more like B: 6 M:4 T:6 that gives you a solid tone without sacrificing alot of cut.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Coro

equalization-
middle- about halfway
high-half way

ive never used that pedal so thats all i can tell ya...sorry. i use a Zoom 505 II pedal, and its real easy to setup real metal like.

the **** do i do with the reverb?
Myspace.com/mannylococo
Quote by autobot7777777
how can i get a metal tone on my fender frontman 15 g ...

sorry man, not gonna happen.
i had one of those years ago, truely horrible amp.
i suggest you get yerself a nice amp cos even with a pedal that frontman thing is gonna sound nasty.
I've got a Fender Frontman 15G amp. It's nothing Great by a long shot, but then again it's not a terrible amp. It makes a decent practice amp, especially when you can get them from pawn shops for 30 bucks a pop. As long as you don't crank them to volume 12 they don't do too bad.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by autobot7777777
how can i get a metal tone on my fender frontman 15 g with a dean vx plz i need help

Gain:10
Treble:10
Mid:5
Bass:10
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
but rather than having a gay EQ with the mids at 10 and bass at 5

Excuse me?

TS, as suggested before. Ultimate Settings thread holds the answers, though you will still have to tweak a bit to find it just right on your amp.
Go to one of the best music stores like Guitar Center and get Digitech Death Metal. It's the deadliest analog metal distortion pedal there is. There's no knob for gain because it's already set to 11. Instead, the four knobs are Level, Low, Mid, and High. I got it for only about 70 dollars.

Another good substitute is Boss ML-2, which is Metal Core. That would give out more metal distortion.

Say, does anyone know how to maintain the guitar tone I get at the beginning of setup? The tone seems to decrease a little all the time.

Another thing, recommend me a guitar that is very cheap with two humbuckers and a Floyd Rose tremolo unit (AND the arm for it).
Last edited by joonhoahn01 at Jun 11, 2010,
the OP asked for a metal tone with what he has, he didn't ask for what to buy and sell.

just experiment with what you can get out of your amp and the pedal, if you can't find the tone you want, then yes you will need different gear.
Buy a Marshall MG halfstack and scoop the mids, you'll sound so ****ing metal!
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Turn the bass up high, but not all the way, turn the mid up really high or all the way if this doesn't do it, and turn the treble low, but not off. Turn the Gain up to ten, and get something with quality humbuckers. In numbers i guess it would be:
Gain: 10
Treble: 2-4
Mid: 7-10
Bass: 7-9
Volume: 11
Last edited by kattaway96 at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by joonhoahn01
Go to one of the best music stores like Guitar Center and get Digitech Death Metal. It's the deadliest analog metal distortion pedal there is. There's no knob for gain because it's already set to 11. Instead, the four knobs are Level, Low, Mid, and High. I got it for only about 70 dollars.

Another good substitute is Boss ML-2, which is Metal Core. That would give out more metal distortion.

Say, does anyone know how to maintain the guitar tone I get at the beginning of setup? The tone seems to decrease a little all the time.

Another thing, recommend me a guitar that is very cheap with two humbuckers and a Floyd Rose tremolo unit (AND the arm for it).

Do you people even look at the post dates?
Seriously. THis thread is from 2007. It was answered a long time ago.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
THIS THREAD IS 3 YEARS OLD!
Quote by joonhoahn01

Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
The biggest mistake is turning the gain up to 10. Just because the numbers go that high does not mean you have to crank it up that high. Some times less is more.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Coro

equalization-
middle- about halfway
high-half way

Uh sorry, but he's looking for a metalcore distortion..

With the gear you have, its going to be a little hard to get that kind of distortion, but basically if you want that kind of distortion that BFMV and Chimaira have, you are going to need a decent amp with a good distortion, or a very good distortion pedal (like the Metal Muff w/ Top Boost), and to get that signature sound, you should really invest in active pickups, like Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMGs. I would also get a BBE Sonic Maximizer (the Sonic Stomp is a great pedal for that purpose), its the icing on the cake when it comes to distortion. Even my solid state Ibanez amp sounds amazing now with it, and my Bugera stack sounds absolutely stunning.

Also your EQ (in relation to clock positions) -

Gain - 1 or 2 o'clock (you don't want too much gain, just causes too much noise)
Bass - 10 o'clock
Treble - 5 o'clock
Mid - 7 or 8 o'clock

Also adjust presence to taste.

Enjoy.

Edit: Oh shit just noticed the thread was an ancient one x_x My bad.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Jun 12, 2010,
Page 1 of 2