i know you might say this is the wrong forum but im posting here becasue im learning john mayers heart of life on acoustic... so my question-when i make the thumb fretted bar chords i often dont get clean notes and after a few minutes my index finger is in like a cramp and my thumb is numb, so for those of you familiar with thumb-fretted bar chords, are there any hints for like chording techniques or playing posture (such as arm placement) any help is appreciated
You don't need to barre all of the strings, you can just barre the first two. After that, having really big thumbs helps.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
yeah and since posting ive found out that you dont necessarily have to barre them either (for the song at hand that is) thanks alot though... oh yeah and johns got a thumb like a banana...i dont, im amazed at the number of guys on youtube that do
My recommendation would be to just fret the chords normally. You only really need to do thumb-over-neck chords for Hendrix-esque fills and stuff, so if you're just going to do noramally barre chords, doing them normally won't make it sound different.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
You cant use normal bar chords to play "the heart of life" and alot of other mayer stuff. Gotta use the hendrix bar.
I wouldn't consider this a barr chord at all. Hendrix famously used a style of the major chord where he used his thumb for the bass note, and you can use your thumb for the lowest 2 notes, but thats pretty difficult and you can still get the sound you want by using that thumb for just the bass note. I would post a website or something with a diagram of what to do, but I don't know of one! But don't think of it as a barr chord or however you spell the word barr when it's used this way, because you arn't really barring anything.
Quote by octavian
You cant use normal bar chords to play "the heart of life" and alot of other mayer stuff. Gotta use the hendrix bar.
----exactly