this is a follow up to a post last week:

i have a 4/12 cab with 8 ohm speakers run in sequence. (not sure if that's the right term. there's a wire jack to speaker to speaker to speaker to speaker back to jack.) i would very much like to make this a 4 ohm cab to get the full 150 watts out of my head. would i need to run another jack and plug two cables into my cab or could i just wire them differently? can i even do this with 8 ohm speakers or do i need 16?

any help is appreciated.
Is each speaker 8 ohms or is the cabinet as a whole 8 ohms?

Edit:

In no way is it possible to get a 4 ohm speaker cab in its current state. You can either have a 2 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab.

If you truly want a 4 ohm cab, you can put two of the speakers in series (what you called sequence) and you'll get 4 ohms, but you'd only be able to use two of the speakers.

Just curious: why do you need to get the full power out of a 150w head? Are you planning on destroying a house?
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Last edited by andrew7667 at Mar 6, 2007,
each speaker is 8 ohms. it plugs into an 8 ohm jack in the head. there's also a 4 ohm jack though
If each speaker is in series, then you'd end up with a 32 ohm cab. That doesn't sound like the case to me. Either they're in parallel (netting in a 2 ohm cab) or you have yourself 2 ohm speakers. I'm going with the latter. 4, 2 ohm speakers connected in series would net you an 8 ohm cab.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by andrew7667
Is each speaker 8 ohms or is the cabinet as a whole 8 ohms?

Edit:

In no way is it possible to get a 4 ohm speaker cab in its current state. You can either have a 2 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab.

If you truly want a 4 ohm cab, you can put two of the speakers in series (what you called sequence) and you'll get 4 ohms, but you'd only be able to use two of the speakers.

Just curious: why do you need to get the full power out of a 150w head? Are you planning on destroying a house?

it's a solid state head. 75 watts at 8 ohms is what i'm getting now according to the back of the head and set up instructions. and i double checked, each speaker says 8 ohms. anyway. the 75 doesn't make much noise on anything less than 8. my drummer is a smasher. NEED MORE POWER
is it a mono head?

4x8ohms in series=32 ohms
4x8ohms in parallel=2 ohms (I think) THIS WILL KILL YOUR AMP (I think.)

if you wire two in parallel to get 4ohms, then the other two in paralle to get 4 ohms, then wire those four wires in series, you'll get 8ohms, which is probably what they did. That's what I did with my cab.

Is is impossible to add 4 8 ohm speakers to get 4 ohms. You might could try 3 of them in parallel. But, I didn't do the math on that. It might not be enough, your amp coudl die. Think of ohms like resistance. STrong guy pushing on strong wall, dooesn't move much. Strong guy on weaker wall, can knock it down. Strong guy on too weak of a wall or no wall at all, he falls flat on his face. That's why you don't want too little load usually.
4x8 in parallel would be 2 ohms. If your amp isn't rated for that, you could easily blow your output tranny.

You could get another half-stack and wire the two in parallel. That'd net you 4 ohms (and more volume), but there's no way to get 4-ohms with 4, 8-ohm speakers.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
way to burst my bubbles guys.

j/k. actually there's a pawn shop here that has a fender twin reverb he said he'd swap me straight up for. i think i'm gonna take him up on it.

thanks everyone