Page 1 of 2
hey guys, im thinking about making another guitar, and im trying to come up with a i dea for the body design, i have one that i like but ive gotten mixed reviews from my friends and family. i think its cool cause its different but i would like to know what my fellow UGers think, please tell me what you think of it

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/razor279/guitarconcept.jpg[\img]
Well, it's pretty damned ugly.

The inherent curves in the outline clash with the geometric cutaway.

What's more the cutaway both serves no useful purpose, and creates a stability problem regarding where you'd put the strap buttons.

Most of all... The design borrows too literally from a known design, so that it appears not as an innovation or a modification, but a perversion.
It's a slightly pointier Les Paul with a big chunk missing out of the arse.

Do we need a picture for that?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, no. But if anyone else wants to see it, and they don't want to cut and paste it.

Sorry, replying to OP.
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/
do you guys like my other guitar i made, i dont no if you seen the other thread i had but the pic of my other one is on my myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=11379069

Thanks for making me regret turning on my speakers.

But as far as that guitar's concerned...

Really, really lame.
And the finish is ugly as hell.

But on the whole...

There's nothing new about it. Nothing interesting.
If you didn't want opinions, you shouldn't ask for them. I'm perfectly sure that you know the good things about it, but I don't see my obligation to tell them to you again.
ok thanks, i thought the design was cool earlier but now i see what your saying about the cut out, im goning to take you thoughts in to consideration and redo the design, its just kinda hard to come up with something that doesnt look like a fender or gibson. staggHound, no hard feelings dude, i did ask for your opinion and i shouldnt have gotten mad just because you didnt like it, ill be glad to here your opinion when i put up my new design. how do you post pics i dont no how to do it?
I don't think there's anything wrong with creating a design which is inspired by; but you need to really thinkout what you want. There ARE more metal-designed guitars out there, and those designs might be easier for you to modify than the more traditional designs.

Moreso, when these guitars were designed, elements were added because they served a purpose; it's not impossible to improve on them, or to introduce new elements, but it's a matter of understanding why the existing elements are as they are first.

As for pics, you weren't far wrong the first time.
take a whole bunch of pictures of random guitars see features you like on each of them and draw something up. you gotta make sure it flows together though. sometimes simple is good, so dont over do it
Do something totally different (kinda) and use split SC PUs! Like ...

Not sure if it's specific to the PU winding and magnets or the split but for some reason I thought they had better mids, as in the high strings sounded "fatter" and the low strings "thinner" if that makes sense.

Maybe somebody has one of these G&L guitars with split SCs.

Quote by Ippon
Do something totally different (kinda) and use split SC PUs! Like ...

Not sure if it's specific to the PU winding and magnets or the split but for some reason I thought they had better mids, as in the high strings sounded "fatter" and the low strings "thinner" if that makes sense.

Maybe somebody has one of these G&L guitars with split SCs.

*has a 'gasm and dies from the finish on that guitar*
Can you buy those SC's? I can't remember seeing them anywhere on my searches...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
To the OP,

I can't say i'm a fan of your drawing, or your first guitar, they sorta remind me of the retarded creations of bc rich, they don't flow at all. Look at other guitars, ibanez got their RG shape from the strat, godin got their SD shape from the lespaul, just change an original design.
Could anyone post the picture that's in his myspace here? I don't want to make an account there just to see it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Let me give you some advice, look at some BC Riches.

The Bich is not an overly nice design, in my opinion, because the straight line on the butt of the guitar clashes with the curves, this cut out can be aesthetic, or functional in the case of this 10 string Bich.

The Mockingbird is a much more appealing design because it has flow, but it still agressive. Don't let curves make the guitar look wimpy.

The Warlock manages to blend curves and straight edges in a way which can be appealing, and still be aggressive. It's not a design I'm personally too fond of.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/

yes! it works

From a purely technical standpoint...

You can't put knobs there.
I don't care much for your new design either, for the reasons people have already mentioned.

However, I have no problem with the one on your MySpace, though it's not quite something I'd go for myself. I have to ask, though- Locking tuners AND a locking nut? That's a whole lot of tuning stability, especially since there's no trem. What was the motivation?
Quote by Will_Minus
Let me give you some advice, look at some BC Riches.

The Bich is not an overly nice design, in my opinion, because the straight line on the butt of the guitar clashes with the curves, this cut out can be aesthetic, or functional in the case of this 10 string Bich.

lol I like the Bich design not so much that colour but what do those pegs on the cut out bit on the guitar do?
Pikka, the reason for the locking nut was simply to keep the strings in place, they kept popping out of the grafite nut i had on there so i used the locking one and dont tighten it all the way so there is no need for a fine tuner. i probubly dont even need to have them locked down i think that the notches are deeper and would hold the string in place. my next one is goin to have a floyd rose and an angled headstock, these are things i would have done on the first one but i lacked the $200 for the trem and extra $90 for the angled neck but now that i have a job ill be putting all the good stuff into any more that i make.
If the strings were coming out of your nut...

Then it means your nut slots were either too large, or not deep enough.
whoever said simple is usually better, your right.

i want a f!cking strat, but with a reversed body. that would be hot.
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/
what is better a bolt on neck and 1 piece body or a neck thru body guitar?

that would be an opinion.
Page 1 of 2