I'm in a band that used to be a six-man band, with three guitarists (I am effectively guitar 3). About a month ago, our bassist left the band, and we've been on the lookout for another. However, two or three of the other band members feel pretty strongly that I should, in fact, play the bass. I tried the bass once before in the band, temporarily, and pretty much hated it. The thing is, I'm not that bad at it, it's just it's totally not the instrument that I want to play. We never had a problem with the three guitars when we did have a bassist, but it seems that suddenly 'three guitars is too much'. I suppose we've always known it's too much, but it means harmony parts work quite well.. Anyway, my point is, what would you do if your band asked you to switch to an instrument you didn't want to play? Would you stand your ground? Or just go along with it 'for the band'?
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

Join another band if you feel like you're being pushed to play an instrument you don't want to play. I've been in bands that have had 3 guitarists and though they work at first, it doesn't really make sense to have that many guitarists, but just do whatever you want to do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Why is it that you have to switch to bass and not another?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
Why is it that you have to switch to bass and not another?

The drummer is fantastic, and I can't sing, so it's either me or one of the other guitarists, though in truth, I am the 'lesser guitarist'. lol. I have considered leaving, but we're a band of pretty close friends, and I don't think that's an option... Is it admitting defeat if I just say "go on then, I'll play bass"?
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

Just wait it out until you find another bassist.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Yeah, for the stuff you're doing, you don't really need 3 guitars. I'm not saying you should play bass. I'm strictly saying you don't need 3 guitars. In my opinion, the two of you who sound most like each other, one should play bass. That way you'll have two guitarists with distinct sounds, kind of like what the band Fuel did.
I don't think it's admitting defeat if you go on and play bass. You could look at it as a new challenge to learn a new instrument and have a new role in the band. Three guitarists does seem a bit much though. If you accept playing bass though, you should be the best bassist you can and not just play it because you were forced into it. If you already work well with the other guitarists you would probably do well on bass because you're used to making more than one guitar work. This is all just my opinion though, so go with whatever you want most, you can always find other bands.
Ta for the responses All very helpful.
Quote by holybassbatman!
True?

same thing happened to Paul McCartney.. John, George, and Paul all played guitar.. but then when they left Germany the bassist decided to stay with his GF... so Paul switched to bass....

if i were in that situation id prolly stand my ground and tell them i didnt want to play bass.. and ask one of the others to do it..

unless of course you and the rest of the band know you are the worst of the 3 guitarists....
same thing happened to Paul McCartney.. John, George, and Paul all played guitar.. but then when they left Germany the bassist decided to stay with his GF... so Paul switched to bass....

Exact thing I'd thought of, too.
Quote by holybassbatman!
True?

I dunno man. I think that what you want to do is the important thing, so don't give in to playing bass permanently. I think you should think about playing bass until you can find a bassist, just as a temporary thing so the band can keep going. Make sure you make it clear that it is just temporary, but also, if you seriously try it, you might find you like it more than you first thought you did. That said, if they get too pushy, quit the band.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
Quote by bodomfan525
I dunno man. I think that what you want to do is the important thing, so don't give in to playing bass permanently. I think you should think about playing bass until you can find a bassist, just as a temporary thing so the band can keep going. Make sure you make it clear that it is just temporary, but also, if you seriously try it, you might find you like it more than you first thought you did. That said, if they get too pushy, quit the band.

+1
3 guitarists isn't "too much." It's about how you use it. There are lots of bands with three guitarists.

Still, try out bass. You may find yourself liking it. If you still don't, let the band know. If they can't with that, leave.
as a bass player, id say play the bass. if you really feel that your a lesser guitarist, it probaly means that you don't play the best parts in the band. If you play the bass you stand out more so if you can write decent bass lines. Its a lot more fun that it get credit for.
I have known this one "musician" for 7 years. We started playing music together at about 16 years old or so. Everytime we needed someone to play something or he heard of another group that needed a particular instrument, he would quit playing whatever his "focus" was and start playing something else. It was like he went from drums to guitar to bass to guitar to drums to guitar etc.

Although he liked playing each one, he had 2 major problems:

1. He is lower class and is always broke, so he would sell all his equipment to buy new equipment whenever he switched. He once sold me a Crate GFX 212 amp for $75 that was listing on ebay for $150-$200. The reasoning behind this was he needed the money and wanted to buy drum gear.

2. He switched every few months and in the result... became mediocre at all.

We are currently 23 and the last I heard of him, he was playing guitar once again in a band. Judging by the material I have heard and from other people. He is still mediocre at his instruments.

The lesson here is, stick to what you like and don't conform to anyone.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
try out bass, you may surpise yourself like i did
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Do you play the keyboards too? become like a 'multi-instrumentalist' play little piano lead during a song, get some bongos have a short break during your songs play the bongos,
lol that's what I do, in some songs i start out on the keyboards and then rock back and play the solo then continue on the guiatr or go back to the keyboards...:P that didn't make sense at all...sorry lol
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
You could switch the bass between each other.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Dont do it.

Simple as that, if you dont like the bass, dont play it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
or do this: have a revolving bass player, you play the bass for a couple of songs and make the others play for other songs
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
Quote by siddyjain
or do this: have a revolving bass player, you play the bass for a couple of songs and make the others play for other songs

Yeah, we thought about that and might do it instead...
Quote by holybassbatman!
True?