This has been done before, and I did do a search. I know. But I need help for my particular case, so don't go all elitist and tell me to use the search button.

Anyway, I have just recently gotten around to using uTorrent. I like the program, and the idea, and it is much better than Limwire. However...

I'm getting absolutely shitty connections. I have the ports all open, and uTorrent itself is allowed through my firewall, but I still am lucky to get a connection over 30kb/s. Which is terrible considering my internet speed.

There is a picture of my program running, and the speed just recently teetered to under 1kb/s. So, any help please?

And, if it makes any difference, I'm running the internet here over a wired network, the modem and router are upstairs.
Think yourself lucky; I'm lucky to get over 7kb/s. I have an 8mb connection.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
there's less seeds man
using torrents u don't get a stable source to download from.
its very common to go under 1kb/s download rate.
but get torrents with as much seeds as possible.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Smokey Amp
Think yourself lucky; I'm lucky to get over 7kb/s. I have an 8mb connection.

Sorry 'bout that. Thing is, yesterday when I first started using it, I got a connection over 120kb/s, and then it just completely crapped out.

Quote by ECistheBest

but get torrents with as much seeds as possible.

Well the one I'm using right now has about 2000, is that good?
i get 100-1000 kbps. not hard. just open your ports. google how and then you'll get very fast speeds.

EDIT: this actually has nothing to do with amount of seeders, ive connected to 5 seeders and got 500 kbps thru the entire thing.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Which ports should I open though? And is it enough to just open them in my firewall, or is there something else I need to do?

any really. portforward.com; then pick your router; then follow the instructions and youll get blazing speeds.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Sorry 'bout that. Thing is, yesterday when I first started using it, I got a connection over 120kb/s, and then it just completely crapped out.

I'm with a really shit ISP, so even though I have a high-speed connection I have NAT problems that limits my download speed due to re-directing issues. I've tried to sort it, but I need to set up a static-IP and just can't be arsed with the hassle.

As mentioned earlier, download torrents with a large amount of seeds; you're more likely to maintain a high transfer rate. If you had a 120kb/s transfer rate, then it seems it's just a case of enough seeds being on at any one time.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
my bit torrent has been bad today as well it went down to 1kb/s and i was like WTF? you suck!

but hopefully it will get better
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Dirge Humani
This has been done before, and I did do a search. I know. But I need help for my particular case, so don't go all elitist and tell me to use the search button.

Anyway, I have just recently gotten around to using uTorrent. I like the program, and the idea, and it is much better than Limwire. However...

I'm getting absolutely shitty connections. I have the ports all open, and uTorrent itself is allowed through my firewall, but I still am lucky to get a connection over 30kb/s. Which is terrible considering my internet speed.

There is a picture of my program running, and the speed just recently teetered to under 1kb/s. So, any help please?

And, if it makes any difference, I'm running the internet here over a wired network, the modem and router are upstairs.

it doesnt all depend on ure speed it also depends on the seeders speeds i believe. once i was dling something and i got like 500 BYTES per second... that download took like a week. on the other hand once i downloaded something wiht like 200 seeds and like 5 people leeching and i got speeds up in the 300kb/s i think my highest 370kb/s
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Keep refreshing your tracker every 10 seconds or so until you get a speed thats acceptable.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Alright, I've set up a static IP and did the port foward thing, now I'll wait to see how it works. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Now I'm getting connections up near 80 kb/s if I leave the network alone, which is much better. Thanks guys.

EDIT2: Steadying out at about 280 now...thanks a ton. to all who helped.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Mar 6, 2007,
Yeah, it DOES depends on the seeders speed. On public sites, some people actually LOWER their sending speed so that sending information they already have (so they don't care about it) doesn't take speed of their connection. That's why private sites are better. People on those need to have minimum sending ratios, or else they get banned. So that everyone using those sites sends alot, and often at HIGH speeds, thus allowing you to download faster. I imagine you got the .torrent file from a public site, where everyone only care about receiving bits of info. I can't really recommend any sites right now but there are lots of them. Inscriptions are almost always closed thought.
anyone know how to do it for azureus?????
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Quote by el toro DKiAB
Yeah, it DOES depends on the seeders speed. On public sites, some people actually LOWER their sending speed so that sending information they already have (so they don't care about it) doesn't take speed of their connection. That's why private sites are better. People on those need to have minimum sending ratios, or else they get banned. So that everyone using those sites sends alot, and often at HIGH speeds, thus allowing you to download faster. I imagine you got the .torrent file from a public site, where everyone only care about receiving bits of info. I can't really recommend any sites right now but there are lots of them. Inscriptions are almost always closed thought.

i didnt say how fast the seeders are doesnt matter. i said how MANY. theyre thinking its all about amount. hell rite now a d/l has 45 seeders and its only 50 kbps.