In about a week, I will be playing in my freshman talent show(this will be my first live performance.) Anyways, it will be in a smallish size school gym. Im just wondering, is this going to cause any abnormal buzzing sounds or any stupid shit like that? I have a squier strat, and with all single coils comes that buzzing sound. Is the gym going to cause any interference to make it worse?? I will be using a fender frontman 15 amp (which with my pedal sounds quite nice). Will this amp pick up any stupid sounds?? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared!
no. the sound wont be any different other then the open echo sound caused by the large enclosed area. people will be noisy anyway so that wont be a big factor
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
take it there and have a quick rehearsal
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i use a fender frontman 15R as my practice amp, and when i'm at home, it barely buzzes at all. When i bring it over to my friend's house, every time it buzzes a lot more than it does at my house. But, yours might be different, probably because you use a Squier w/ 3 single coils and i use a fat strat, and of course, the humbucker on mine might block out more buzzing, but i think you should be okay for this show.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Most gyms SUCK sound like Dracula sucks blood when it comes to music.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
I've played in a gym a few times, here are some suggestions for the best audio...

Play as close to a corner as possible, if youre in the middle of the gym, the echo will be from all sides at different intervals. If youre in the corner, it will add an interesting delay effect from the opposite side of the gym.

One things my friends never notice is that...
Guitar Cable + Power Source/Wire/Plug etc = BUZZ. Sometimes if theres a buzz and you cant figure out where its coming from and you know its not your pickups, its most likely because of some electronic equipment in the area. I've found out where power lines are beneath the basketball court in my gym accidentally due to this little fact. Furthermore, keep your guitar cable as far away as possible from the amps power cable.

I know that you arent for this performance, but IF you ever use drums in a high-echo room, play them in an insulated corner or wall (with sound absorbant pads around it...pillows work great if not. Carpet helps on the walls.) or dont play at all. The drums echo ruins the performance, and sometimes you cant even follow a beat of a song.

Hope this helps, and good luck
Lol, I used some small Fender practice amp that wasn't mine on my first performance, and a First Act peice of shit. Just turn down the reverb and don't turn it up too loud, play on the quiet side, it echos easy in a school gym.
Quote by thedude051
What are you going to be playing? I am just curious?

I am playing fade to black by Metallica.

oh, and I forgot to mention, I am going to have a microphone next to my amp, so it not being loud enough wont be a problem.
fade to black with a fender and squier?? man you need to get out more.....but for now......i played with the school band loads of times and if there was a comp for the worst sounding gym then ma schools would win. i dont think you should worry a dude.

and kudos for getting up and doing that. keep going
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
Quote by Yngwi3
take it there and have a quick rehearsal

that's a good idea

normally, there's less hum in big places, i don't know why, but everytime i play in a place larger than my room, the hum is less
Quote by The way to hate
fade to black.. with one person? are you using a backing track / playing the leads?

yeah dude, Im playing with a backing track and doing all the leads and solos. My friend wouldnt play with me so Im doing it solo. I have edited out some parts of the backing track so it is not boring during the acoustic/12 string part.

to renegadeo6o6o6:

whats wrong with a fender amp and a squier?? I am aware that most people hate squiers( mostly because of their low price), but I have taken time to set it up correctly and I think it plays great, and it sounds nice with my pedal. Anyways, thanks for the response.
Last edited by buzzcut at Mar 7, 2007,
Quote by buzzcut
I am playing fade to black by Metallica.

oh, and I forgot to mention, I am going to have a microphone next to my amp, so it not being loud enough wont be a problem.

Fade to black is a long song. Did you memorize all of it or are you going to use some notes for reference? Again..just curious.
Quote by thedude051
Fade to black is a long song. Did you memorize all of it or are you going to use some notes for reference? Again..just curious.

I have edited out some of the long acoustic/12 string parts so it doesnt get boring. The total time is about 5 1/2 minutes, so its its a little more than a minute shorter than the original song. This is because of (like I said), me editing out some of the 12 string parts.
Quote by thedude051

Fade to black isnt a hard song to memorize as a matter of fact most songs arent............................unless you got a short memory span or something
Quote by buzzcut
I have edited out some of the long acoustic/12 string parts so it doesnt get boring. The total time is about 5 1/2 minutes, so its its a little more than a minute shorter than the original song. This is because of (like I said), me editing out some of the 12 string parts.

Good Luck with this. Maybe after your done you'll get a few girls.
Quote by Silent_Scream1
Fade to black isnt a hard song to memorize as a matter of fact most songs arent............................unless you got a short memory span or something

Well, I mostly sight read, so my musical short term memory has gone down. But I guess if I wanted to, i could memorize any long song.