Page 1 of 2
So I'm a tad bit bored, and I was just wondering; How many of you out there can inward scream? If you're not sure what this is, its when you make a screaming/growling/pig squealing sound by inhaling instead of exhaling. I'm not sure about everyone else but I know mine has a huge range, from really high to really low. It seems to be very versatile too, I actually do the vocals in one of my band's songs entirely with inward screaming, and people never believe me when i tell them it's inward.

Anyways, I find it very entertaining to do, and I was wondering if anyone else thought so as well.

BTW, I searched this and didn't find anything, so if I missed a previous thread on this I apologize.
I can't, but it doesn't suit the music I do, so I don't care to try.
I inhale my lows and switch off between exhaling and inhaling my highs.
I say actual words when I sing though.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
hmmmm....I do most of my growls inwards, because I can get it louder and clearer, except I can't do pig squeels inward which is uncommon.
I can do inhaled squeals and lows, as well as exhaled growls and overall low screaming.

When i'm bored in class, i'm either here on UG or practicing by burying my face in my arms and imitating Devourment vocals.

(Inhaled frog vocals, fyi.)

The only thing I have a problem with is exhaled screams with a higher pitch. In other words, I can't scream emo. Though I'd like to be able to...any tips?

I think it's because my speaking voice is naturally DEEP.
yes i can do inward gutterals.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
yeah i can do the piggys and the really high stuff like See You Next Tuesday. I can't growl inwards, but i can outwards. The only thing i can't do is bark like Darkest Hour or Black Dahlia, which is very sad because that's the thing i want to be able to do most
I don't know if it's just me but I am more of an exhaling screamer
Quote by dann_blood
Stars are Blind - Paris Hilton. I heard that and set me off on a destructive rampage for weeks.

Quote by FearTheD
i want him to ride his magical roll of USPS stickers to Valhalla
I'm pretty sure Randy Blythe's vocals are done exhale as he's trained by Melissa Cross.

Quote by Spiritual_Cramp
I can do inhaled squeals and lows, as well as exhaled growls and overall low screaming.

When i'm bored in class, i'm either here on UG or practicing by burying my face in my arms and imitating Devourment vocals.

(Inhaled frog vocals, fyi.)

The only thing I have a problem with is exhaled screams with a higher pitch. In other words, I can't scream emo. Though I'd like to be able to...any tips?

I think it's because my speaking voice is naturally DEEP.

Yeah, you're a bit hindered by your natural range.

I do mostly inhales now, but I do exhales here and there.

Shitty recordings from the summer with my old band:
http://www.myspace.com/ofthedyingbreed

Recently:
http://www.myspace.com/karlmarxgrind
Yeah, I just can't scream outward at all, so whenever i do it it is always inward. That might contribute to why I can do it so many different words. When I do the higher inward screams, it is even possible to understand what I'm saying, but not so much for the lower one. I would like to be able to scream outward to though.
^ Mudkip onslaught pokemon ftw

i'll do some whoring:
myspace.com/thesefinalhours
myspace.com/cholera
myspace.com/thebloodcountessaz2
myspace.com/channelingdarkness
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Yeah son. The title track is like Norma Jean if they understood the concept of playing in time / less boring / if their singer did inwards and sounded like me.
J Lock made me soil my pants, twice.
Quote by dann_blood
Stars are Blind - Paris Hilton. I heard that and set me off on a destructive rampage for weeks.

Quote by FearTheD
i want him to ride his magical roll of USPS stickers to Valhalla
i learned how to do inhales recently (correctly)

i learned how to do it when I was just messing around on a mic listioning to Waking the Cadaver. then i had a vocalist who i was friends with teach me how to use my stomach in the right way to make it sound better.

now I can get my lows, REALLY low, and i can get that Waking the Cadaver sound..

the only thing i have trouble with is my exhale Highs. mostly because my voice cracks alot when i try to do them. Any pointers on highs? (perferably like howard jones's highs, back when he was a little more agressive in Blood Has Been Sed)
Not to brag, but I can do pretty much everything with my elasto-voice.
Tiger style.
i can, but you always hafta remember taht when you're doing harsh vocals not to do them loud and hurt yourself. i can do exhale growls too and i blew out my voice at an unearth show cuz i was screaming. i ended up losing my singing high range and my growled too, but it's fun.
Quote by twistedoutkast
i learned how to do inhales recently (correctly)

i learned how to do it when I was just messing around on a mic listioning to Waking the Cadaver. then i had a vocalist who i was friends with teach me how to use my stomach in the right way to make it sound better.

now I can get my lows, REALLY low, and i can get that Waking the Cadaver sound..

the only thing i have trouble with is my exhale Highs. mostly because my voice cracks alot when i try to do them. Any pointers on highs? (perferably like howard jones's highs, back when he was a little more agressive in Blood Has Been Sed)

That's exactly how I learned, me and my friend were listening to waking the cadaver, and then he learned how to do it, and then taught me. Now I can do it lower than him

I wish i could do the exhale high stuff, too, so I second this, if anyone has any pointers please share.
I dont use my stomach at all. I can go deeper than anyone i know just by using my throat. It's not good for me but neither are blue Smarties.

I learnt listening to Ida Wave, some of the vocals are REALLY low.
Quote by ihatepigum
i can, but you always hafta remember taht when you're doing harsh vocals not to do them loud and hurt yourself. i can do exhale growls too and i blew out my voice at an unearth show cuz i was screaming. i ended up losing my singing high range and my growled too, but it's fun.

What are you talking about? If you have to be quiet in order to not hurt yourself, you're just doing them wrong...

Also, some of the best inwards:
http://www.myspace.com/fleshandbloodrobot
Last edited by i am the robots at Mar 9, 2007,
Why is this thread still open?
I already showed you all how to do it.
I obviously have the best one here.
I can even do it with longevitiy.
rrraawwwrr.
See?
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
Quote by i am the robots
complete and total shit?

i 100% agree, but when your first starting out with vocals, (for me atleast) its funn to just mess around on a mic with that voice.
i can inhale scream pretty good with a decent range...but i really want to learn to exhale scream...i dont know if its technique or just scream at the top of your lungs until you get it right? anyone?
i'm not much of a vocalist. The best i can accomplish is similar to phil labonte's midrange. i tried this after reading this thread and i think i inhaled a housefly...

needless to say it wouldn't've made very good hardcore vocals...

actually, now that i think about it, it might've...
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
i can do inward screams inhale to your stomach and kind of make your throat tighter then as you scream release a small of amount air per word
inward screaming is really easy to do. i think it also messes up ur vocal chords so thats y i dont do it. plus outwards screaming sounds alot better anyways.
exhale for moi

inwards ****s your chords (vocal chords) well so does exhaling if not done properly

wasnt there a thread on this before?
i really want to be in a band that doesnt like parkway drive/WOJ stuff
but i can get REALLY low aswell...which is pretty embarassing for a girl
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
exhale > inhale.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
is that it?

wasnt that more of a poll though, i could be wrong
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Page 1 of 2