I'm sort of a noob in the amp department, and I was wondering if you can get a half stack, or cabinet and just get any kind of head for it. And if so, what are some good half stacks and heads? I'm in the price range of about $500. I like tube amps. RHCP, Hendrix, Mayer, Frusciante, Clapton, funk to rock. Pretty much everything besides country and shred/metal.
Thanks...
yeah, as long as the amount of ohms match up, and the cab can take the amount of watts supplied by the head then the possibilities are endless- for those tones a JCM 800 would do you great but having no research into them myself i dont know how much they retail for, especially not in the US
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
yeah, as long as the amount of ohms match up, and the cab can take the amount of watts supplied by the head then the possibilities are endless- for those tones a JCM 800 would do you great but having no research into them myself i dont know how much they retail for, especially not in the US

$2000

for that budget i doubt youll get one.

maybe a VJ ($99) and idk what cab.
I have a valve junior and 2x12 avatar.. its a nice, cheap setup, and the 2x12 means that when cranked a ways i can play with a drummer. I have not played a show with it though.
and what's wrong with a combo?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by Food_for_funk
I have a valve junior and 2x12 avatar.. its a nice, cheap setup, and the 2x12 means that when cranked a ways i can play with a drummer. I have not played a show with it though.

but the reason i chose a Blues JR over a VJ...

the VJ has one control. although it can be modded/an eq pedal.
if your budget is around $500 I wouldn't recommend a half stack. I'd look at a Marshall DSL401 which used you can get for around 600 dollars.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by Arlabester
$2000

Haha ahh right, ah well then- but seriously dude, in the long term, I think that will nail the tones that you're after
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Hmm. I was looking on MusiciansFriend, and I saw a Epiphone Valve Junior head and a Behringer Ultrastack BG412S. Would this work? The cabinet is $250 and the VJ is $100.

And is there a difference between cabinets and stacks?
Quote by guitarkid2113
Hmm. I was looking on MusiciansFriend, and I saw a Epiphone Valve Junior head and a Behringer Ultrastack BG412S. Would this work? The cabinet is $250 and the VJ is $100.

And is there a difference between cabinets and stacks?

hmm possibly actually, the VJ has a British Vintage tone to it and it is very nice- although you may want to save for a nicer cabinet.

In response to your second question:

Heads are the top bit, they contain the PRE AMP and the POWER AMP which basically IS your tone, they also have all the fancy dials and switches and whatnot- THEY DO NOT HAVE SPEAKERS

Cabinets are just boxes with speakers in them- thats pretty much it. the build quality and what speakers are in the cabinet affect the tone quite a bit- this is the bit which your sound comes out of- it plugs into the head.

Half Stacks is basically the setup above- one head, one cab. Like so:

Full Stacks are: one head- two cabs, one angled, one straight, like so:

Notice how the top cab is angled?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by guitarkid2113
Ok, so the VJ and Behringer would work ok?

Ask a few people later on- Dave_Mc is pretty knowlegeable. Behringer are generally thought of as things you buy to fill in the gaps of not having something and saving to buy something, but you need something to fill in the gap in the process.

Btw- you do know that the VJ Head is only 5 watts? which means you probably dont want a 4x12 (four, 12 inch speakers) cabinet such as the marshall ones above, you hav want a 2x12 or something smaller- because how many watts a cabinet has is not how loud it is, thats just how much it can take before the speakers blow, so for instance you cannot run a 150 watt head through a cabinet which is 100 watts.

Anyway im off to bed haha its too early here in the UK, hope i answered a few questions, no doubt others will be helping you too and rectifying any mistakes i made
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by guitarkid2113
So even though I'd have like 100W, it'd only be 5 coming out because of the head?

yes BUT

i heard the VJ is loud, plus (idc what other people say) you are about 5 watts louder, and in SS, thats like 15 watts louder.

which means your about 30 watts in SS. which is pretty loud.
yeah, bear in mind thats Tube watts though which SOUND Louder than SS watts, but use the same amount of watts.

So dont get a massive 4x12- like i said wait for someone with more knowledge than me to pop online lol
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

yes, get something small.

the smaller the cab, the easier to be pushed. for my blues junior im getting an Avatar 2x12, which should be easy to push.
I'm in the same boat as you...
I was thinking the Valve Junior and a Crate GT112SL
Another thing I was wondering about was the http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_crate_cpb150_powerblock_stereo_guitar_amp?full_sku=103131108
That little thing. How does it work being so small?
And if I went half stack instead of combo, assuming I get the Valve Junior, would I still get that tube tone I've been dieing for?
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
in both your cases, i'd suggest to stop, save, and learn. i don't think either one of you have fully developed your taste in tone and would probably be better served by something like a vox valvetronix amp. they sound fantastic (especialy for hybrids) and can cover a lot of area in the tonal spectrum.

but if you're dead set on a tube amp, i'd look into a fender blues jr. or w/e the next step up in the hot rod series is. all great amps.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
in both your cases, i'd suggest to stop, save, and learn. i don't think either one of you have fully developed your taste in tone and would probably be better served by something like a vox valvetronix amp. they sound fantastic (especialy for hybrids) and can cover a lot of area in the tonal spectrum.

but if you're dead set on a tube amp, i'd look into a fender blues jr. or w/e the next step up in the hot rod series is. all great amps.

I agree I'm not fully developed in tone but I know what I want it to be. Kinda Skynyrd like beautiful, deep cleans like intro to Simple Man but get crunchy like the intro the Don't Ask Me No Questions. (Yeah I'm a Skynyrd fanatic)
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
well, i know for a fact that they used peavey mace heads. and the amps are fairly unknown and obsure, so you could easily nabb one off ebay for really cheap.

cab wise i'd go for a legacy 4x12. it's basically a mesa 4x12, but at a fraction of the cost.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by guitarkid2113
Whats John Frusciante use for a head? I think it's a Marshall but one kind?

you cant afford a marshall.
Quote by guitarkid2113
Thanks! Thats a really good site.

yes it is

although its been idle for 3 years
its a vintage marshall major
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Peavey Windsor and Behringer Ultrastack, 600 buck exact.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs