i've had my guitar for about a year,its just a simple Fender Starcaster,it came in like a pack with an amp and a bunch of other stuff,its pretty good for my first guitar,and i was thinkin about finally changin' the pickups in it,but, i dont what to get.Like,i really have no clue.When i get them i'm just gonna have the guys at Eastcoast install them but like,i dont even know about how much the cost.I really dont have a whole lotta money,like,i'm hopin they dont cost more than 45 bucks,but i dont kno.If someone cood help me out that'd be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
What type of music do you play mostly.. If It's metal get EMG's either active or passive models are made, but they run about 60-80 pucks a p-up.
I would not advise upgrading pickups in a cheap guitar, I honestly don't think it'll improve the tone of it much, if at all. Really, pickups are subtle in the way they change your sound in comparison to an amp, so if you can't afford an amp, or really just want a cool guitar... Just save up and buy a better guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 6, 2007,
i agree, for metal, EMGs are awesome, but you may want to consider buying a new guitar if you have to budget to do so.
I'm not really at the point where i play only a certain style.I want something thats pretty universal if possible.I'm more than likely getting a new amp from my cousin this weekend so thats set, i forgot what kind it is tho.But the only reason why i'm deciding to upgrade it is because a new guitar isnt really in my future at all,so i wanna see what i can do with what i got. Plus i read some reviews about my guitar and one guy said he upgraded his with new pickups and stuff and he said it worked out nicely for him,so i dont kno.
If you play all kinds and a new amp is on the way, you should check out Seymour Duncans.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by GITARdud391
I'm not really at the point where i play only a certain style.I want something thats pretty universal if possible.I'm more than likely getting a new amp from my cousin this weekend so thats set, i forgot what kind it is tho.But the only reason why i'm deciding to upgrade it is because a new guitar isnt really in my future at all,so i wanna see what i can do with what i got. Plus i read some reviews about my guitar and one guy said he upgraded his with new pickups and stuff and he said it worked out nicely for him,so i dont kno.

Well, considering your guitar is made out poorly constructed ply, or laminate, at the best....I'd say that guy doesn't really know what he's talkign about. I'm not syaing pickups WON'T improve your guitar's tone...I'm saying it's not worth it to do it.
Would you put 20" chrome rims on a 1972 Station Wagon?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, considering your guitar is made out poorly constructed ply, or laminate, at the best....I'd say that guy doesn't really know what he's talkign about. I'm not syaing pickups WON'T improve your guitar's tone...I'm saying it's not worth it to do it.

not to get off topic but i think that would seriously look kickass...I agree with forsaken tho just save up for a better amp than buying new pickups
Quote by guitarman015
Dude, that was funny
BTW +1,000,000,000 Cool points for daf00l
A decent amp running in the $300-500 range would do a ton of good. The same price range is where guitars really start to pick up in quality too; sub 300 it's hard to find anything worth even upgrading, let alone buying in the first place.

Since it's a muilti-ply body the pickups will be "killed" by the wood. If you feel you must upgrade the pickups Mighty Mite makes some excellent (for the money) inexpensive sets:

Single Coil White
Single Coil Black

"Double Blade" mini-buckers: Black
"Double Blade" Mini Buckers: White (kinda)

Realize that these are "buy it now" items, so you won't have to bid. Basically it's like you're ordering the part from any other site.
Quote by forsaknazrael

i would.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I would not advise upgrading pickups in a cheap guitar, I honestly don't think it'll improve the tone of it much, if at all. Really, pickups are subtle in the way they change your sound in comparison to an amp, so if you can't afford an amp, or really just want a cool guitar... Just save up and buy a better guitar

I think that the guitars playability and setup is the most important feature in a rig. Lets face it, If the guitar isn’t comfortable you wont be able to make good music. Just about any guitar can be taken to a guitar shop and setup so that it will be comfortable to play. You could even do it with a wallmart guitar.

The amp is the second most important part of your rig. Even a guitar with crap pickups and cramp materials can sound good if it playing through the right amp and the guitar has been properly setup.

After that you have pickups and pots. If your amp is good, your pickups are good, and your guitar is setup well, you will have people asking you how you get such great tone, and wondering what type of guitar you have.

The last thing is the actual guitar. Yes the guitar is important and does a lot to color the sound, but if everything else is right then you don’t need the guitar to be expensive. I still think an Upgraded squire strat typically sounds better than a stock MIA Strat.

Thats the end of my rant.
Not taking any online orders.