Alder Body
Maple "C" Shape Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
ALNICO split single-coil pickup
Greasebucket tone circuit
Badass II bridge
Chrome hardware

Fender American Series S-1 Precision Bass

S-1 Coil Switching System (Switches from parallel to series pickup)
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood OR Maple Fingerboard
American Series Hardware
String-Thru-Body Bridge
Single P-Pickup

Yeah, i'm just looking around seeing what would be nice for a second bass.
No real decisionmaking yet.
Highway 1 - better bridge, better circutry

American - a tad more versatility, string through bridge = more sustain
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Highway 1 - better bridge, better circutry

American - a tad more versatility, string through bridge = more sustain

+1

I liked the highway one when i played one, But i prefer the feel of maple necks. The highway one is going to be cheaper, but the american has S1 switching (havent played one but heard its pretty neat)
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I think the circuitry of the American Bass with it's S1 series/parallel switching is much better than the Greasebucket circuitry of the Highway 1. The only advantage the Highway 1 has over the American is the bridge. The Highway 1 has that IMO ugly satin finish that is very VERY fragile... however it is Nitro and may wear more sexily if treated with obsessive respect.

The American basses have strings thru body/strings thru bridge, and strings thru body makes a world of difference for big, meaty tone. The neck also has PostFlex Graphite support which IMO is essential in this day and age.

But, either way, you can't go wrong with either of them. I'd just always thought the Highway 1 is a poor man's American Series (although now Fender made some additions to set the two brands apart). However, I would pick the American sight-unseen.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've got the american P-bass and chose it over the highway 1, the only real advantage, like the others have said, is the badass II bridge but now there is a badass III designed for the american series string thru basses and it's not that expensive to do
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
So, it seems i'm hearing American Series all around then, arent i?
And is the Highway 1's ALNICO that much better than the American's single coil?
And just what exactly does the S-1 Switch do?
Yes, I'd have to agree. I don't think the alnico pickup is better, it's just different; again, something Fender is trying to do to separate the Highway One from just being the cheaper American. Alnico magnets tend to have a hotter output.

S1 switching is a different beast entirely; it changes the wiring of the P-Bass pickup from Series (what it originally is) to Parallel. The Jazz bass' S1 switch does the exact opposite; it's originally wired in parallel, and clicking the button down wires it in series.

On your P-Bass, turning the S1 switch on will give a sound similar to a Jazz bass with both pickups on full (that prototypical slap sound). Turned off, you get classic P-bass goodness.

Also, on American Series basses, you can get a maple fingerboard. On Highway One, you're stuck with Rosewood (of which I am sick of seeing).

You get some cool colours, too, like Candy Cola http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0193262712
and 3-tone burst.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 7, 2007,
Well, it changes the wiring of the pickup, but the tonal difference is about the same as changing it from P to J. It won't fool a diehard J-Bass nut into thinking it's a J-Bass, but it's a new flavour of the usual Precision Bass with no extra pickups.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Also, do NOT underestimate the Graphite Reinforced necks... I have one and they are as solid as a rock.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I really like the S-1 switch, i use it so much when i just want a different tone, and it's not obvious either. And yeah the graphite reinforced necks are brilliant.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You can mod any bass with a P pickup to have the S-1 though - I'd never let that be the deciding factor.
Yeah, but the button is streamlined into the volume knob, not some external switch that requires routing. I don't think it would be a cheap mod, either. And besides, the S1 is icing on the cake; the only advantage the Highway One has is the BadAss bridge. I can almost guarantee that getting a new BadAss bridge would cost much less than modding for S1.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
A Fender push/pull pot can be bought new for less than ten dollars. Other than that you might need a couple of inches of wire and a dab of solder to add S-1 to the Highway 1. A Badass III (as you'd need for a new MIA) is $80.
I wouldn't be able to do the mod myself as I simply do not know how to change the wiring from parallel to series and back. I don't see a tech doing it for less than $100. I've seen BadAsses on eBay for $50.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
There are no Badass IIIs on Ebay for less than $79 at the moment. Badass IIs are cheaper but aren't for recent MIAs because they don't allow through body stringing and I'm not sure the screw-holes line up. S1 is such a simple mod if they're charging $100 then find a new tech!
I see. Do you know if there exists a BadAss bridge for 5-string that allows for strings thru body?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
so how's that american deluxe treating you, anyway, fitz?
Its got a P-pickup and a humbucker right?