Page 1 of 4
so i was fiddling with my strat and i realized:

"DAMN! all my distortion pedals SUCK with a strat!"

literally. all of them. i have a TS808, Big Muff, and Metal Muff, and none of them do what i want.

i want this guitar to be my classic rocker. AC/DC, Hendrix, Led Zep, stuff like that... all in that era...

im looking for basically mid gain stuff. now, it HAS to sound godly with a strat. the problem with mine, is acutally, all my distortion pedals make it too bassy, even with the tone up high. so i need something that will do away with that.

my current choice is a RAT II. plz, only people with ACTUAL experiences with strats, tube amps and distortion pedals help.

thanks!
what amp do you use?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
the boss distortion 1 is really good for the classic stuff. Honestly, screw the od pedals and save up for a vintage marshall tube amp. itl make your strat sound the way its ment to sound. The boss d1 is really cheap to, its not for hi gain and its not bassy. what kind of amp do you have??
Quote by gpderek09
what amp do you use?

a blues junior.

^i dont need a marshall. im not looking to emulate a marshall sound. the TS808 is on clean boost mode. used for boosts in solos, and just clean stuff. plus i use a fender amp. THATS the way its meant to sound.

no boss i say! unless i have to. ill try one out

btw its a MIM SSS strat.
Boss DS-1's suck.

Until they're modded by Keeley or Analogman, etc.

then they kick shit all day everywhere.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Fuzz pedal or a Rat pedal.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
Fuzz pedal or a Rat pedal.

i have a big muff.

have you tried a rat, through a tube, with a SSS strat?
first of all, boss makes amazing pedals- dont be a dumbass.
second, hendrix, acdc, n zeppelin all used marshalls so thats what came up to me when you mentioned it.
also some of my favorite strat tones come out of marshalls like yngwie malmsteen.
if you are in love wit fenders stay with it. I dont have experiance with pedals other than boss, all i can say is dont get a p.o.s. pedal thats gonna break in a day.
i have a blues jr.

i usually just go guitar -> blues jr. turn up the volume, hit the fat switch and go.

if you want cleans as well, try a boss bd-2. mine kicks ass.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by schecterboy3000
first of all, boss makes amazing pedals- dont be a dumbass.
second, hendrix, acdc, n zeppelin all used marshalls so thats what came up to me when you mentioned it.
also some of my favorite strat tones come out of marshalls like yngwie malmsteen.
if you are in love wit fenders stay with it. I dont have experiance with pedals other than boss, all i can say is dont get a p.o.s. pedal thats gonna break in a day.

excuse me? the one with a papa roach avatar is saying this.

if you dont have any other pedal experience other than boss, than no. i cant take your info.

you play your digital crap, and ill play my analogs.

^i want higher gain then what the Blues Junior has to offer. my base tone is cranked to 7. i just want Mid-Gain stuff. which is why i like the rat, except im worried it might be too bassy.
Quote by jay bird!!!
Quit being a dumbass. You need to make sacrifices, jesus christ.

and reported.

i swore at people, and got banned. so ill do the same.
^ not all boss is bad. don't rule anything out.

hell, at the gates used mt-2s for nearly all the distortion on the slaughter of the soul album, and that's a hell of a cd.

EDIT: i use the bd-2 as a boost a lot, i really like how it sounds.

i'd also check out a jekylle and hyde. that thing is a beast.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

It's NOT your guitar, it's the amp.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by gpderek09
^ not all boss is bad. don't rule anything out.

hell, at the gates used mt-2s for nearly all the distortion on the slaughter of the soul album, and that's a hell of a cd.

i had a MT-2, meh.

its not that i hate boss, its just the MT-2 left a god awful impression. i will try out the DS-1. i know for a fact theres 3 sitting on the counter of my local music shop.

i just like analog a hell of a lot more than digital. another thing that left a bad mark was the spider II.

how could it be the amp? with my squier its as trebly as... well w/e is trebly. its NOT the amp, its that i dont have a distortion pedal that works well with the strat. of course the big muff does, but for hendrix stuff ONLY. im looking for AC/DC as well.
Quote by Arlabester
i had a MT-2, meh.

its not that i hate boss, its just the MT-2 left a god awful impression. i will try out the DS-1. i know for a fact theres 3 sitting on the counter of my local music shop.

i just like analog a hell of a lot more than digital. another thing that left a bad mark was the spider II.

i'm not suggesting an mt-2, believe me, i had one too.

i'm just saying, sometimes you can find a gold mine of tone in otherwise unexpected places.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
i'm not suggesting an mt-2, believe me, i had one too.

i'm just saying, sometimes you can find a gold mine of tone in otherwise unexpected places.

hasnt everyone.

i know, i know. ill look at some of the bosses. im not ruling anything out. its just i got some bad marks from digital.

so the DS-1 and RAT II are my choices. anyone else with some experience?
Boss Os-2 or Sd-2. Both LOVE single coils. You might want to try out the Os-2, since the Sd-2 is discontinued and a bit pricey.
Just because I'm pointing out that you are being extremely ignorant right now. Make sacrifices. If you need to get a Marshall to get that classic sound than do it. A good musician knows where to draw the line.
the sd-2 is discontinued? since when!?

well that os-2 sounds nice, but isnt that like, faking a od and distortion?

i like fender amps. i can get a AC/DC sound with my Squier, not with my strat. there isnt a problem with that tone on other guitars. not on the strat. there isnt supposed to be a line. there is no rules in music, such as.

YOU NEED A MARSHALL FOR AC/DC!!! I AM THE TONE NAZI RAWR!

no.
Quote by jay bird!!!
Just because I'm pointing out that you are being extremely ignorant right now. Make sacrifices. If you need to get a Marshall to get that classic sound than do it. A good musician knows where to draw the line.

you're a dipshit.

because we know only marshall get's good classic rock tone. dont' worry about fender/vox/two rock or anything. just get a marshall.

again, i'll suggest trying the bd-2 as a boost, and the jekylle and hyde.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Oh yeah funny because I use a B-52. If you can give me logical explanation then perhaps I will agree with you. Until then you will be the idiot that is trying to play metal with strats.

EDIT: Titties!
Last edited by jay bird!!! at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by gpderek09
you're a dipshit.

because we know only marshall get's good classic rock tone. dont' worry about fender/vox/two rock or anything. just get a marshall.

again, i'll suggest trying the bd-2 as a boost, and the jekylle and hyde.

ill check the jekyll. ive heard it, and wow. im just you know, thinking about things right now.

^actually i play judas priest with strats. guess what, they used them!
^Don't listen to them. They are obviously inept losers. The SD-2 was a pedal made in the early 90s I believe and has been discontinued, but that thing REALLY loved single coils. The OS-2 as well. I have a friend who uses a strat with it, and he can get nice fat classic rock tones and up to really raunchy distortion with it.
Well Judas Priest sucks anyway. In my opinion at least. OH NO! Now people are gonna tell me I don't know real music O M G!! I am done for now!

EDIT: I'm just going to make a peaceful exit because this is lame. Good luck with your musicianship.
Quote by jay bird!!!
Well Judas Priest sucks anyway. In my opinion at least. OH NO! Now people are gonna tell me I don't know real music O M G!! I am done for now!

no, done forever. get the f!ck out of my thread. idc what you think of them, theyre still metal, and they played with SC's.

and guess what. so did Iron Maiden. dont tell me what i can and cant do. theres no rules to music.
And who are you to say Judas Priest sucks anyway?

Exactly.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Like I said, my opinion. I'm just giving my insight on things while being my asshole self. If I was asked politely to leave I would have. But now I am so once again, good luck.
Quote by jay bird!!!

EDIT: I'm just going to make a peaceful exit because this is lame. Good luck with your musicianship.

dude, leave, seriously. you don't know jack shit. take about a month with out posting. just observe. check out harmony central and rig talk. formulate some educated opinions and learn you shit.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by jay bird!!!
Like I said, my opinion. I'm just giving my insight on things while being my asshole self. If I was asked politely to leave I would have. But now I am so once again, good luck.

you never left.

does anyone own a rat? i really want to know. im very interested about these pedals. (i realize there are sound clips on ratdistortion.com, but none of them are really classic rock.)
This kid is saying Judas Priest sucks? He really needs to leave guitar and music alone in general. You're ****ing done kid.
so off the hijacking.

does anyone know of good analog pedals. really i have up to a $200 budget.

also, what can acheive a british distortion? no used! no ebay! only new!
MI Audio Crunchbox is worth a shot - resale value is almost the retail, so no harm done.
I swear, the arrogance of some people. But moving on, I still recommend the OS-2 since you want to buy new. It's a Boss so you can try it out at any guitar store near you. And trust me, that thing REALLY likes the single coils, so I'd give it a shot.
Quote by Mascot
MI Audio Crunchbox is worth a shot - resale value is almost the retail, so no harm done.

wow. that looks nice. nice find there mascot

yeah, i definatly like that.

i think its RAT II v. OS-2 v. Crunchbox
"Yeah use single coils for metal. Wanna fight about it?"

congratulations!!!! I use humbuckers!! wanna fight!!!!

lol

anyways I would go the RAT, ive got one, they are sweet
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
DOD YJM308 will fix the problem of your tone been too bassy as it boosts the treble signal only!
All my drive pedals work best on my Strat, especially the fuzz face and muff.

Try out a few OD pedals that have usable gain, check out an Xotic AC Booster, they look sexy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Arlabester
no, done forever. get the f!ck out of my thread. idc what you think of them, theyre still metal, and they played with SC's.

and guess what. so did Iron Maiden. dont tell me what i can and cant do. theres no rules to music.

No

I don't recall Preist ever using Strats, and Dave Murray's Strat has always had humbuckers in it.

It's true there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to music but I have a hard time understanding why you'd want to insist on using single-coils if you're looking to get a metal sound.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Page 1 of 4