i been trying to out my familys history on both sides for a while now, and theres not that much that my dads side (scottish mostly) knows. heres some info and questions:

questions:
- how do you know where your familys from, like say your great great great grandfather was from italy then moved to germany, do family heritages stop after a certain time or something? would that make him/you german?
- does anyone know of any really good and free places to find family history?
- i was gonna post another question in here, but i dont know if its 1. safe and 2. against the rules to post my last name.
- how do you know if the history youre looking at is for your family, and not someone elses with the same last name?

info:
- all i know is my dads side is scottish. i dont know anything else but that. no dates on when they came to america, where they stayed, any ancestors, jobs, siblings, spouses, whatever.
- the only website i have found useful is houseofnames.com, and even that doesnt really provide that much info. it gives a good amount, but you gotta pay. it has the coat of arms, too.

right now, im starting on one side of the family at a time, starting with my dads side. then ill do my moms side. then like do this big family history thing of both sides.
Quote by ShaolinMonk495
questions:
- how do you know where your familys from, like say your great great great grandfather was from italy then moved to germany, do family heritages stop after a certain time or something? would that make him/you german? You would be of Italian ancestry, as that was where the family was from.
- does anyone know of any really good and free places to find family history? genesreunited.com. I don't know how good that is, but I'm in the British counterpart and it's really good. You can sign up for free but you're limited as to what you can use on the site (you can't see other people's trees for example).
- i was gonna post another question in here, but i dont know if its 1. safe and 2. against the rules to post my last name. Post it if you want.
- how do you know if the history youre looking at is for your family, and not someone elses with the same last name? You should really trace it back from yourself, person by person. It's no good looking for someone with your surname without there being a link.

info:
- all i know is my dads side is scottish. i dont know anything else but that. no dates on when they came to america, where they stayed, any ancestors, jobs, siblings, spouses, whatever. Have you tried talking to grandparents? They can be very useful.

I was trying to try my hand at genealogy but I've stopped for now. It's a good idea doing it though, and good luck.
Yea, I'm getting interestred in my family background.

I don't even know one thing for certain. I THINK I'm German and Irish descent, but I'm not sure. I'll have to try that site Dæmönika suggested.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Well, I'm only 2nd generation American, and my grandma tells lots of stories that she heard, so I know 6 generations back, just from word of mouth.

Adam
Quote by thesublime
duarte, you're a jerk.

Quote by Ollie Led Zep
Hmm...a fugly, bimbo, blonde, rich, boring, mooching, waste of blood and organs, d*ck munching, talentless, sponging c*nt in prison?

One down...
theres supossed to be one site that can tell you the origin of your last name...im english, german, and a little bit (barley any cause i have blonde hair, it was 4 generations ago anyway) indian, for all of you non americans, that would be a native american. you should be able to go to your library and find historys of people and their propery...that wouldnt be such a hard way.